Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

When I got up this morning I didn't count on being poisoned :/

Took the short route to work which took me down Walkinstown Avenue. There was still a lot of smoke from the fire in Ballymount. Never occurred to me not to breath it in or cover my mouth. I must have got some of the proper toxic stuff!

It didn't really hit me until I got to past Kylemore. Que coughing, retching and spitting out a lot, while screaming in my head to remember that I was clipped in. It was not nice.

I was a holy show to that poor pedestrian I passed on the other side of the road. :o Took me about 2km to settle back into it.

Heading home later some sort of semi hail stone rain felt like it was cutting the face off me, going westerly straight into the wind. At times I was battered by the wind. I actually enjoyed going home in that weather though. When I got close to home I decided to do a extra loop of about 5 km and instantly regretted it when I turned a corner at Firhouse and realised I was heading westerly again. :D

Still, 13.7 in and 21.7 home.

And just right now at this very moment I have had a text from +353(87) 286 1568 telling me I have won $500,000 USD in Coca Cola Promo. To claim login to www.stuff. etc

Can this day get any better? :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

it can be a right pain cycling in this weather

godtabh wrote: »
    it can be a right pain cycling in this weather

I love the rain tbh.

Sadly my one of my new Marathon plus tyres met their match this evening. I was kind of disappointed because they are so good, until I found the culprit.

I couldn't find any sign of damage/glass etc on the outside of the tyre and then I found the following on the inside. Glad I didn't run my fingers around the inside of the tyre "blind". I'd have done damage to my self.

This is what it looked like for size. 90% of it was inside the tyre.
    sizesharkfinglass.jpg

Bit blurry..

sharkfinglass1.jpg

It was like a bloody shark fin on the inside of the tyre! It would have taken down a car, nevermind a bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

trying out different things with high fat diet.

Had an early lunch today, finished eating at 12. Got on bike at nearly 7pm for a 45km spin without having eaten anything since 12.
    Felt fine, no hunger and not any slower than usual

This high fat lark is a wonder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

First spin in 3 weeks because of work commitments.
    Hardship. Started raining after about 5 km. Glasses could have done with wipers. Toes and fingers got wet and frozen. Spent the last few k with one thumb or the other stuck in my mouth trying to get feeling back. Hot shower afterwards was painful. I need better gloves and some overshoes
    Now I'm home and it's looking like a nice day outside.

http://www.strava.com/activities/109735462

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 377 ✭✭Jocry

I'm a fair weather cyclist (I know), but just back from a short 30km DRENCHING.

However, it felt good, might have to cycle in this down pouring of water vapor some more, I feel nice a refreshed after it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Sagi

45 km today from cork through passage west, monkstown, ringaskiddy, carrigaline and then to ballygarvan and back past the airport into town. brilliant weather for it and as I have tinkered with the bike a bit yesterday it was nice to bring all the new parts out on the road. I fitted leather ergo grips from Sqlab (it's a touring bike not a racer) and they felt wonderfully comfortable but now (5 hours later) my arms are sore, seems like the different hand position activates different muscles

hope to get one or two spins in on the weekend. so far I'm on 350km for 2014, I want to keep it on a 10 km per day minimum (way to work) but as I'm planning a bigger trip for the summer I have to increase the training.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Scrappy600

23.9k in the dark, two sphincter tightening front end slides on wet overbanding that i should have seen. Good to get out though and only have another 22k to do by saturday for the Strava prove it challenge 150k mark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Far breezier than I envisioned, quick 45km Swords -> Howth -> Swords, very gusty, quite cold, thankfully dry!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭darkvalley

My first ever 100km+ ride. Effectively the An Post tour of sligo route.
    Major achievement for me. Started cycling in June of 2013 because I had got to the point of not being able to walk upstairs without heavy breathing. 50 year of age, no exercise for at least 20 years and 50 fags a day takes its toll.

Anyway big day for me
    http://app.strava.com/activities/109773413

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Scrappy600

darkvalley wrote: »
    Major achievement for me. Started cycling in June of 2013 because I had got to the point of not being able to walk upstairs without heavy breathing. 50 year of age, no exercise for at least 20 years and 50 fags a day takes its toll.

Anyway big day for me

Genuinely well done, massive respect for those that have the willpower and drive to get up and change their lives. Well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 723 ✭✭✭soap1978

Anyway big day for me
    well done and a good pace as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Anyway big day for me

Go on you boy well done :D

Anyway big day for me

Brilliant! Well done. You should be really proud of yourself.
    Being very similar in circumstances to you, I'm genuinely chuffed for you.

Looking forward to my first 100km spin. One day :D
    Jocry wrote: »
    I'm a fair weather cyclist (I know), but just back from a short 30km DRENCHING.

However, it felt good, might have to cycle in this down pouring of water vapor some more, I feel nice a refreshed after it :)

It's invigorating! I love cycling in the rain. I knew it couldn't just be me!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭longfellow deeds

ford2600 wrote: »

Had an early lunch today, finished eating at 12. Got on bike at nearly 7pm for a 45km spin without having eaten anything since 12.

hi Ford,
    don't know if you saw the program on BBC at 9pm tonight,
    it was about the 'fat v sugar' issue.
    2 doctors who are identical twin brothers did an experiment,
    each went on a diet for a month one on a high sugar the other on a high fat.
    the results were a bit surprising the guy on the high fat diet ended up being pre diabetic and was advised to change his diet quickly.
    There was an interesting comparison where both raced up boxhill and the results were that the guy on the high fat diet was able to manage the climb but the high sugar brother definately had the advantage.
    well worth a look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

ford2600 wrote: »

I had a 200cal small bowl of porridge, a low fat ham salad roll for lunch at 12, and did 45km out and back over Howth at 8pm. Felt fine, only had beans on toast for my dinner, and no slower than usual.

This low fat lark is a wonder :rollseyes:

Inquitus wrote: »
    I had a 200cal small bowl of porridge, a low fat ham salad roll for lunch at 12, and did 45km out and back over Howth at 8pm. Felt fine, only had beans on toast for my dinner, and no slower than usual.

This low fat lark is a wonder :rollseyes:

Everyone is different. I used to eat what you eat and couldn't go 185km without food on bike, or 110km before breakfast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

That Fat V Sugar Horizon program is being repeated on BBC2 tonight @ 11.20 (I'm also a high fat diet person). Any white carbs or excessive sugars causes me problems.

hi Ford,
    the results were a bit surprising the guy on the high fat diet ended up being pre diabetic and was advised to change his diet quickly.
    There was an interesting comparison where both raced up boxhill and the results were that the guy on the high fat diet was able to manage the climb but the high sugar brother definately had the advantage.
    well worth a look.

I didn't see it, but may be able to catch it tonight.

I've read on a study of a similar tests where different sets of twins participated in study. My memory is there was good variability between the different pairs.

Everything I've read suggests there is a wide spectrum of balance between fats & carbs. Some people get in trouble on more than 50g carbs per day others manage just fine on 200g or more.

Not very worried tbh, my diet while high in fat is almost, with exception of dairy products, completely unprocessed. Since starting diet without planning to my consumption of veg, especially raw veg has increased significantly.

In no order the benefits to me (may not apply to anybody else)
    *never over eat anymore
    *sometimes only eat twice a day, before it was closer to 5/6
    * more energy, feel way better
    * my weight has been static since I was 16, I'm now 38. Even though weighing the same my waist has reduced 1.5"-2". (I was never heavy)
    * HDL raised considerably, just above optimum(generally agreed a good thing)
    * Tricglycerides have dropped considerably from 1.4 to .92 I think
    * LDL has increased (generally not a good thing with a caveat). Typical blood test measure volume of LDL, not quantity of particles. From lipidoligist and other doctors I've read on this matter particle number and consequently particle size are best predictors of risk. It is generally agreed that high fat produced large buoyant LDL particles and hence a lower particle count for same LDL volume.
    * can do long cycles without food and don't see any reason not to extent it
    * Without knowing it would happen have lost all interest in pastries, chocolate etc. Had a very sweet tooth which relied on will power before
    * Some days I drive a lot, others days(one or two days a week) I do very physical forestry work. On this diet I can work for day without any refueling which I couldn't dream of doing on food pyramid/low fat diet.

TBH I'll do a full review with doctor following 12 months of diet and see where we go. To me this is a very serious business, my father died of heart disease, and I believe diet is critical in avoiding this. In seems from what I've read the key issue here is inflammation. Just trying to find out what's inflammatory or otherwise for me.

TLDR, make up your own mind and diet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

First proper 30k on my new baby.my baby 001.jpg

Big difference between that and my old rapid bike, very very happy, roll on the long evenings.

• Advertisement

Going home yesterday I went well off my normal route to clock up some km's. Hit a huge pot hole and thought I had damaged my rear wheel.

So when I got up this morning full of beans*, I was quite disturbed by the feeling of the bike and the sounds, due to the wheel being buckled or something. By the time I got to Mortons pub I realised it was actually a flat that I had been cycling with. :o Gutted to say the least. Plus I'm obviously stupid.

After going through all the options I opted to pump some air back into it and go home and swap bikes. It was a slow puncture, which I don't get tbh.

When I got there I realised my eurotrek was out the window due to the whole clipped in shoes I was wearing, the clock was ticking for work, so I just replaced the tube. Didn't even check the tyre. More stupidness.

I hammered it to work while worrying about getting another flat :(

But I made it.

6 months ago I'd have laughed at anyone suggesting I could. But I did it.

I'm over the moon.

ProveIt600Done.jpg

ProveIt600.jpg

Yis can have your thread back now. I'll be back when I have done 100+ (or have an actual interesting ride/story to tell) :pac:

*I was sooo close

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Decided to explore today. Not a great idea. Around the lanes of NCD by St Magarets. Chased by dogs, played chicken with cars, almost doored, cars passing with an inch to spare, rained on for at least an hour with no over shoes. Got home after 60-something km and had a half hour to get try, showered fed and onto fixed into town. Managed to snap chain then. Lucky I wasn't stomping on pedals as usual.

Also, if your feet are frozen from the wet, a really hot shower doesn't soothe them, it sends them to a whole new hell of pain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Did a spinning class monday 25km. 52km cycle with club last night at a pace of 32.2km/h. Went on turbo tonight and did 20km with 1min intervals flat out and 1 min recoverys. Weather is terrible these times to get out on road.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Rambling Man

Decided to explore today. Not a great idea. Around the lanes of NCD by St Magarets. Chased by dogs, played chicken with cars, almost doored, cars passing with an inch to spare, rained on for at least an hour with no over shoes. Got home after 60-something km and had a half hour to get try, showered fed and onto fixed into town. Managed to snap chain then. Lucky I wasn't stomping on pedals as usual.

Also, if your feet are frozen from the wet, a really hot shower doesn't soothe them, it sends them to a whole new hell of pain.

Couple of weeks ago, somewhere around the back lanes by Rolestown I got pursued by the most enthusiatic, persistant and annoying dog. I couldn't believe my own reaction, feeling out of options, I started gobbing at the mutt and he hated it and backed off. Settling back down into my spin, I thought - what is this cycling thing doing to me. I'm spitting at dogs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Harry get yourself a pair of 3mm neoprene socks and or gloves.Made a huge difference to me feet and hands.
    Sometimes I think my feet are cold but there just wet and when I get home and take them off you realise how warm they were.

hi Ford,
    well worth a look.

That program is deffo wortha watch.
    Especially the conclusion at the end where a white coat type of person came to the conclusion that its wasn't sugar on its own or fat on its own but foods that have a high combination of both that do the real damage.
    It doesn't trigger the sensors in the brain to stop eating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

bcmf wrote: »
    Harry get yourself a pair of 3mm neoprene socks and or gloves.Made a huge difference to me feet and hands.
    Sometimes I think my feet are cold but there just wet and when I get home and take them off you realise how warm they were.

I stupidly sold the pair I had. Am going to sell what I have now, get neoprene ones and Belgian booties instead I think.

Yeah. I usually wear the neoprene sucks with shoes and Lycra overshoes if I know its gonna be a rain fest or neoprene with shoes and goretex overshoes if there is a possibilty of rain.
    Either way neoprene FTW.
    Was even thinking of a neoprene base layer/top for the heavy rain days. But may be to cumbersome.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

bcmf wrote: »
    Yeah. I usually wear the neoprene sucks with shoes and Lycra overshoes if I know its gonna be a rain fest or neoprene with shoes and goretex overshoes if there is a possibilty of rain.
    Either way neoprene FTW.
    Was even thinking of a neoprene base layer/top for the heavy rain days. But may be to cumbersome.

i had seal sinks socks. ok but after putting them in the tumble drier they were wrecked.

Needed them today. wet and cold

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

godtabh wrote: »
    i had seal sinks socks. ok but after putting them in the tumble drier they were wrecked.

Needed them today. wet and cold

I had a pair of SealSkinz that shrunk from size L to XS after the first wash. Passed them on to my grateful sister, but will never spend that much money on socks again. Overshoes all the way for me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement