Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

smacl wrote: »
    I had a pair of SealSkinz that shrunk from size L to XS after the first wash. Passed them on to my grateful sister, but will never spend that much money on socks again. Overshoes all the way for me.

Me either. They worked ok but are now unusable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

godtabh wrote: »
    i had seal sinks socks. ok but after putting them in the tumble drier they were wrecked.

Needed them today. wet and cold
    Very wet, cold and windy this morning. After an hour cycle my spare socks, newspapers (with pictures of KK Hurlers) and all other aids and tricks are all in use today...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

its wasn't sugar on its own or fat on its own but foods that have a high combination of both that do the real damage.

...like nuts and raisins?

icecream?

coookieeees?

NOOO!!!...... (runs away crying)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Tuesday I had to swim home with the bike strapped to my back.

This morning the gale added about a third to my normal commuting time (less than 15kph in spots!)

Tonight I'm lighting a fire and may well get into it to heat back up.

Roll on February (the second that is - tommorrow looks a disaster)

This morning the gale added about a third to my normal commuting time (less than 15kph in spots!)
    You need more gears.

I remember early last year cycling home in the worst headwind ever (with rain). I was pushing on a little descend as hard as I could and was doing 13km/h.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Alek wrote: »
    ...like nuts and raisins?

icecream?

coookieeees?

NOOO!!!...... (runs away crying)

No. The specific example they gave was cheesecake.Cheesecake god damn it.
    They said its a prime example of 50% sugar and 50% fat.

On the neoprene.It was surf socks and gloves. Designed to get wet but stay warm.
    Trying to stay dry on a day like today is an excersize in futility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

bcmf wrote: »
    On the neoprene.It was surf socks and gloves. Designed to get wet but stay warm.
    Trying to stay dry on a day like today is an excersize in futility.

I cycled in wearing my sealskinz gloves, altura waterproof jkt, waterproof trousers and bbb waterflex overshoes.
    Got to work, took them all off and was toasty and dry and didn't overheat on the cycle in either.
    It's only a 9k commute though :p
    Just had some beans, hash brown and bacon as a reward to myself for cycling in :D

MB Lacey wrote: »
    I cycled in wearing my sealskinz gloves, altura waterproof jkt, waterproof trousers and bbb waterflex overshoes.
    Got to work, took them all off and was toasty and dry and didn't overheat on the cycle in either.
    Just had some beans, hash brown and bacon as a reward to myself for cycling in :D
    Fair play to you.

Only a cup of lemon tea for me and I cycle triple of your distance.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

MB Lacey wrote: »

I only got wet on the outside

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Scrappy600

Went out and did 27k once the sky cleared and the sun came out. Got 10k into it and got stung and soaked to the bone in a hailstorm! Didnt care though i was still enjoying it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

I did 20km tonight but had to stop up and turn around because it was extremely windy and showers of sleet that cut my face and couldnt see the road ahead. Dissapointed but it had to be done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

I hung the bibs back up this evening when the lightning started. I have the house to myself, Stout, open fire, bike tinkering... Nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭inc21

Lovely spring day for a cycle and to test my new kit. Maybe it should be in bargain thread but got Kileens kithen gloves from Tesco yesterday. They were on special at €1.29. Nice pink and very light.
    Layer'd my hands with 3 pairs of gloves (Kileens ones in the middle) and was hoping for a bit of rain. And Irish Winter/Spring weather did not dissapoint. Now gloves on the inside were wet when I took them off but hands never got cold as they normally do.
    Some of the strongest winds I have ever cycled in. On the flat and struggling in the lowest gear looking for lower.

Anyway 142km done with 1600m elevation.

Strava

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

25k around Dunboyne/lucan and back. The wind is a little snakey out there.

not yet wrote: »
    25k around Dunboyne/lucan and back. The wind is a little snakey out there.

50km in a wind that was a lot snakey. Good training all the same!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Anyway 142km done with 1600m elevation.

Strava[/quote]

Have a look at other ways of crossing Knockmealdowns; Shanrahan is to west if Clogheen while Knockboy and Mellary are to east.

Shanrahan and Mellary north to south are very tough. If you want I'll pm you the routes I use

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 503 ✭✭✭davidsatelle100

nice morning out for 50ish caught in a few showers around Tallaght but really nice to be out.

Footy on the couch for the afternoon now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

27 km for my Third spin this week, in fact it's my third spin in over twenty years :) 72km for the week , very proud of myself !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I did 50km solo today out through Manor Kilbride to Blessington and back on the N81. Wind was a nuisance but I made it back with time for a shower before the rugby. My feet froze up around the 35km mark. I must get some decent overshoes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭dogsears

Out for the first time today in 3 months after a bit of a spill, combined with some lack of opportunity and quite a lot of going soft.:(

62km around Cork Harbour. So happy to get outside - its just so much better than that cursed turbo trainer.

Thought I'd have a lot of trouble getting anywhere close to last year's pace but it actually wasn't too far away. Woohoo.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

113km. First ton of the year. Beautiful morning for a cycle, really felt like the start of spring. I'm sure that will change tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Likewise, first time this year to tip over the 100km mark. Lovely morning out,caught the odd shower and battled the wind but once I turned at Valleymount the wind was in my favour for the rest of the day.
    Certainly didn't break any records today,more about time in the saddle and miles in the legs. King's Mountain 200 coming up this month.

Home-Tallaght-Blessington-Wicklow Gap-Laragh-Roundwood-Enniskerry-Home.

100.9km 1,454m elevation.
    http://www.strava.com/activities/110673992

Evil 200 training right on course.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

81k in sunny north county dublin. Took it handy and minimised the hills with only 600m climbed. Averaged 26kph without killing myself although hamstrings are a bit sore now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭inc21

ford2600 wrote: »
    Have a look at other ways of crossing Knockmealdowns; Shanrahan is to west if Clogheen while Knockboy and Mellary are to east.

Shanrahan and Mellary north to south are very tough. If you want I'll pm you the routes I use

That would be brilliant Ford2600 if you could. I lack a bit of local knowledge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

inc21 wrote: »
    That would be brilliant Ford2600 if you could. I lack a bit of local knowledge.

On phone now. I'll do tomorrow when at pc.

Fermoy, Ballyduff, Vee, Clogheen, Shanrahan, Araglin Fermoy would be lovely loop with two proper climbs.

Also I find descent into Lismore horrible with road surface. Last 5km is ok now, but still avoid it.

Lovely day today on bike. Was home just after ten with just under a 100km done. No breakfast does make it easier to get out quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭Felloffmebike

65k in two halves. 13 out for a 32k leisurely turn of the legs and then a smaller group of 5 went for the same again only faster. Great gallop for the last 10k but only made me realise how the fitness has drained away. Sat up in the last 500m and limped in behind the rest. Went around by Kells and Athboy and back on a few minor roads. Tough in the headwind but great to be out.

For everybody commuting S>N - its KOMtime! :D

Be careful though, sidewinds are brutal.

Alek wrote: »
    For everybody commuting S>N - its KOMtime! :D

Be careful though, sidewinds are brutal.

I saw a few people cycle this morning. Not worth. Its too windy out there. Even in the car it was dangerous

wimp list this way ---->

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

Cork was OK this morning apart from the floods on the quays, moved to a later shift so having to deal with traffic in the morning was new for me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement