Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭DaithiMC

Alek wrote: »
    wimp list this way ---->

Ah, same direction as the A&E I see. :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Alek wrote: »
    wimp list this way ---->

There is a difference between being a wimp and stupid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

C'mon, this wasn't necessary.

Obviously everyone should use their own judgement to decide if to leave home today at all, but would call Sean Kelly stupid for training in a weather like this?

I guess half of society would call stupid any cyclist descending 60kmh on a sunny windless day.

:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Sidewind on the Sutton cycle path this morning. Leaning sideways on the bike except when a bus would pass downwind and kill the wind!...

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,378 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

No problem at all for me today, although the winds were strong there were predictable (predictably in my face all the way!). I've cycled on days when the gusts were much stronger than this morning and I've done a TT with rear disc wheel in conditions not too dissimilar. I do "benefit" from excess ballast mind

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

godtabh wrote: »
    I am one of those stupid people ;).

One hour commute this morning, as usual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

Weather forecast before I left the house at 6am this morning:
    Wind gusts look to be in the 30-40 mph (45-65 kph) range.
    Famous-characters-Troll-face-Challenge-accepted-140949.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

godtabh wrote: »

But, it's pretty much the same as poor risk analysis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭Jabel

Wind at 22m\s (whatever that is on YR.NO) this morning and beautifully at my back.
    Wind will be 3m/s at home time.
    Result...

Very very wet this morning though, badly need overshoes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Jabel wrote: »
    Wind at 22m\s (whatever that is on YR.NO) this morning and beautifully at my back.
    Wind will be 3m/s at home time.
    Result...

Very very wet this morning though, badly need overshoes!

Someone on the Rock Road this morning. Shorts, no overshoes and no mudguards.:confused:

not you I hope??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭Jabel

Nope, but saw another short wearing madman in Santry!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

Was a bit breezy in Firhouse this morning. Horribly wet kit but every bus that passed me with steamed up windows and full of miserable looking people made the miserable cycle to work a bit bearable at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Scrappy600

55 minutes of sufferfest fight club. Holy crap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

40km, Howth and back. First 'proper' cycle since I wasn't well/Holidays/blaming the weather for my laziness. Headwind there and back, but it was great. Suffered a bit on the way up, but it was lovely and quiet and the view on the descent was beautiful. Was in two minds on whether to stop and get some photos, or enjoy the ride. I stayed on the bike.

More of that weather, please!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

There are some days on the bike when it really pays to live on the Northside. Today was one of those days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Got out for a quick 32km this evening. The headwind from the east on the way back was horrendous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Came off this morning when I hit black ice :(
    Blew both front and rear tyres on a pothole on the return journey tonight :(
    Tough conditions here in Cork - a day to forget!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Nice commute spin in the morning.

The evening return was on the other hand one of these days you just have to suck it up and keep going no matter what. Very wet, very windy, dark and miserable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭spoke2cun

Got out for my first spin in over 7 weeks this evening. Bad weather, idleness and beer for 3 weeks over Christmas, more bad weather in the new year, sore back, knee etc etc! Finally had to do it today or another week would slip by. What a cracking day it was too. Did 30 km from Letterkenny to glenswilly and back. Can't wait to get out again asap. As soon as you get that first cycle done, the bug returns immediately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

SomeFool wrote: »
    Came off this morning when I hit black ice :(
    Blew both front and rear tyres on a pothole on the return journey tonight :(
    Tough conditions here in Cork - a day to forget!

Jez that's bad luck, Cork was hairy alright, frost this am, floods and gales this pm, hope you're ok and your wheels survived.

Motorists not giving an extra inch when passing so had to take the centre line at times with cross winds. Home to Sufferfest and an open window, oh, First World problems...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Jez that's bad luck, Cork was hairy alright, frost this am, floods and gales this pm, hope you're ok and your wheels survived.

Motorists not giving an extra inch when passing so had to take the centre line at times with cross winds. Home to Sufferfest and an open window, oh, First World problems...

Wheels are grand, came home to a power cut!! :pac: won't be playing the lotto this week!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭ccull123

Lethal conditions for the commute home. Is it just me or are a large percentage of Dublin bus drivers a bunch of ignorant/reckless a$$holes!!!!

Rant over:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

ccull123 wrote: »
    Is it just me or are a large percentage of Dublin bus drivers a bunch of ignorant/reckless a$$holes!!!!

I had a polite chat with one over a 'close' pass. It wasn't really close, plenty of room on a normal day but, with the howling wind, I got blown sideways as the bus passed*. I asked him to give more room in windy conditions and he was happy to oblige...

* Actually, it was more like a bow wave. I was going sideways (towards the kerb) before he reached me and then sucked along as he passed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭ccull123

cdaly_ wrote: »
    I had a polite chat with one over a 'close' pass. It wasn't really close, plenty of room on a normal day but, with the howling wind, I got blown sideways as the bus passed*. I asked him to give more room in windy conditions and he was happy to oblige...

* Actually, it was more like a bow wave. I was going sideways (towards the kerb) before he reached me and then sucked along as he passed.

That's what I don't understand. They know the dangers yet some of them thinking nothing in these winds to come right in on top of u. I'd like to think I'm courteous and patient on the road but today was the closet I ever came to going under. Beggers belief!!!!!

Anymore the only option is to cycle in the middle of the road and let them wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I was cycling mostly in the middle of the lane this evening. Too dangerous to take chances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

My 25 minute 10km cycle home from work took 40 minutes this evening.

Got blown off once & a couple other hairy moments as the wind was so strong (I weigh almost 100kg....) especially going over the Beckett Bridge,
    Gatorskins are rubbish in slick conditions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Today was my first commute out east wall direction, coming from Rathfarnham. The morning was great, however the return journey...not so much. Was fighting the crosswinds, and was blown off course on more than one occasion. And to top it all off I was landed with a puncture 5Km from home. Sucky sucky evening!

Found a sizeable chunk of glass in my rear tyre, I don't think anything was going to stop it. It was sharp as hell, and got embedded deep. Oh well, bring on tomorrow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

Yep Cork was mental on the way home, my GPS showed a nice 13km/h section where I didn't even have to pedal! Of course then the wind changed and I was almost stopped. Tough going, the wife thought I was mad but I kinda enjoyed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Clontarf cycle track was tough going last night. Met a few people walking their bikes. Managed to inspire one to get back on.

Along Baldoyle the mud guard blew off never to be seen again!

Took 66 mins instead of usual 45 to 50. So heading for the wimp list this morning. 22m/s forecast. That's 50mph in the old money, which is too much of a side wind for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

.... a couple other hairy moments as the wind was so strong (I weigh almost 100kg....) especially going over the Beckett Bridge...
    I was crossing Beckett Bridge in the car last night and several cyclists were walking their bikes across. The wind was rocking the car when stopped in traffic. Saw another windswept cyclist dealing with a puncture on Misery Hill.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement