Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Yesterday I learned a few new things.....

It's very hard to play the playstation (Call of Duty Ghosts - team deatchmatch) whilst on a turbo trainer.

Attempting to dodge the bad guys by leaning while clipped in to a bike stuck in a stand is not overly clever ; although I did manage not to fall.

You can't run any faster in the game by pedalling harder.

Cadence seems to increase whenever you're in danger in the game.

Playing while attempting a harder interval just messes up the interval and the game

Sniping is next to impossible - the best tactic seems to be "spray & pray"

I'm just as rotten at the game on a turbo trainer as on the couch.
    on the basis of this post I'm adding a turbo trainer to our mortgage for the media room :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

ccull123 wrote: »
    That's what I don't understand. They know the dangers yet some of them thinking nothing in these winds to come right in on top of u. I'd like to think I'm courteous and patient on the road but today was the closet I ever came to going under. Beggers belief!!!!!

Anymore the only option is to cycle in the middle of the road and let them wait.
    In this case, he was far enough away for normal conditions. I don't think he was aware of the difference the wind makes vs a normal day.

I regularly occupy as much road as I need, seemed ok last night...
    Clontarf cycle track was tough going last night. Met a few people walking their bikes. Managed to inspire one to get back on.

Took 66 mins instead of usual 45 to 50. So heading for the wimp list this morning. 22m/s forecast. That's 50mph in the old money, which is too much of a side wind for me.
    I decided to forego the coastal route last night and preferred to mix it up with wind-blown buses instead.

Good spin this morning along the coast though. Mostly tailwind so no (significant) sideways moves. Had fun passing all the cars...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 503 ✭✭✭davidsatelle100

Wet very very wet on the commute this morning heading direct east so mainly a headwind the whole way in which was tough going on the mountain bike\winter commuter.

45 minutes for 9km traffic on the South circular was manic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Wet very very wet on the commute this morning heading direct east so mainly a headwind the whole way in which was tough going on the mountain bike\winter commuter.

45 minutes for 9km traffic on the South circular was manic

Very wet and mad traffic all round Dundrum this morning. Filtering the lines of traffic on the left had me cycling through what was effectively a small stream running at the side of road. Always nice to get the 'wet feet' feeling out of way early in the commute, so you don't care about what other puddles you hit along the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Just over 100km today - Out from Tyrrelstown, through Lucan and from Saggart up over Slade hill(?) and onto Blessington and out towards Naas. Was going well till just before Kilcock when I bonked. Struggled on to Maynooth refuelled and made my way home via Dunboyne. 108kms altogether and first time I've felt I had no energy for a good while. Road was flooded up near blessington and I got soaked as a car went through at about 60mph.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

SomeFool wrote: »
    Sums up my week! :pac:

Heh! No swearing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Heh! No swearing?

sometimes all you can do is laugh at yourself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dvntie

SomeFool wrote: »

Looks like you were in your way home
    Ya were much calmer than usual ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Scrappy600

Wasn't today but Thursday evening. Brought my old man out round the Eco park in Waterford. First time he's cycled in 20 years, 61years old and only 12 months after full knee replacement did 4k. Very proud of him!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

Scrappy600 wrote: »
    Wasn't today but Thursday evening. Brought my old man out round the Eco park in Waterford. First time he's cycled in 20 years, 61years old and only 12 months after full knee replacement did 4k. Very proud of him!

Off topic I know, but how are your father's knees now? Were they bad in the first place? How long did the recovery take? Sorry for all the questions. I'm trying to convince my father to get his knees done. He'd love to do a bit of cycling, but he's convinced his knees will be even worse after the operation.

outfox wrote: »
    Off topic I know, but how are your father's knees now? Were they bad in the first place? How long did the recovery take? Sorry for all the questions. I'm trying to convince my father to get his knees done. He'd love to do a bit of cycling, but he's convinced his knees will be even worse after the operation.

He's doing well, used to play a lot of soccer up till he was about 58 and had to stop full cold turkey as the risk of damaging the artificial joint is too great so he's piling on the weight so I'm trying to get him out as much as I can when I can. He was in serious, serious pain every single day before it, he's not completely pain free now, it gets stiff and sore some days and he gets a bit of ankle pain but he's so much happier in himself because he's no longer in constant pain day in day out with arthritis. It all depends on how active you are before and driving through the pain and whether you're ok with giving up certain things once the artificial one is in.
    Chicks dig scars
    image_zps6a3f64e5.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭inc21

Tough 102 km today. Had just a banana with me and I was just dying for a bit of sugar. Rain and wind (does not seem the strong enough word for it) did not help. Never seen my heart rate so high before.

Strava

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

inc21 wrote: »
    Tough 102 km today. Had just a banana with me and I was just dying for a bit of sugar. Rain and wind (does not seem the strong enough word for it) did not help. Never seen my heart rate so high before.

Strava

Hope you enjoyed Ticincor!

Nice spin. Did you make any sense out of routes I sent you?

ford2600 wrote: »
    Hope you enjoyed Ticincor!

Nice spin. Did you make any sense out of routes I sent you?

I did.
    Had a nice route planned and on my garmin with few of them. Was going to use Glogheen as my base but when I got there it was absolutely pissing down the heavens sideways.
    Was going to abandon the lot but decided to go up the V for a look. Came down on Cappoquin and it didn't seem so bad so grabbed banana and went for a quick one. Using my own navigation skills got lost few times.

Have you tried that one.
    That is a killer. Bad surface, maybe more suited for MTB but boy was it tough. In lowest gear standing, wheel spin and barely moving. Fell over once :)
    Had stop to let the car by and no way you could clip in after. 185 is the highest HR I have seen so far, hit 193 there.
    Nice views over Clonmel.

Can't openkote="inc21;88906419"]I did.
    Had a nice route planned and on my garmin with few of them. Was going to use Glogheen as my base but when I got there it was absolutely pissing down the heavens sideways.
    Was going to abandon the lot but decided to go up the V for a look. Came down on Cappoquin and it didn't seem so bad so grabbed banana and went for a quick one. Using my own navigation skills got lost few times.

Have you tried that one.
    That is a killer. Bad surface, maybe more suited for MTB but boy was it tough. In lowest gear standing, wheel spin and barely moving. Fell over once :)
    Had stop to let the car by and no way you could clip in after. 185 is the highest HR I have seen so far, hit 193 there.
    Nice views over Clonmel.[/quote]

Can't open link. Is it Ticincor?

It is "Holy Year Cross Route no.1"

inc21 wrote: »
    It is "Holy Year Cross Route no.1"

There was a hill climb time trial on it or the bit you descended a few years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭jober

Only had time to do a quick 40k spin on my new bike,can't wait to get out more on it
    Tallaght - around back roads of celbridge ,saggart and home

Went out and did 18.7k between celbridge leixlip and maynooth before the light went tonight. Was doing really well (by my fat standards) for the first 10k and was keeping a 28.2k average (id normally manage 24 or so on a normal spin) and like an eejit i dropped the hammer for a pb on a strava segment and killed myself doing that. Had to push on big time on the way back with tired legs and a right side stitch to get the average back up to a non impressive 24.3k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

My biggest spin ever and it was on my new bike 63km. Left outside waterford city and headed out the cork road to dungarvan. The wind was bad and tiring. Was cold and tired by the time I got home. Learnt a few things on my spin. Bring money and some food + need more layers the wind and rain froze me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Decided to head west from Glasnevin so as to have a following wind home. Out through the Tolka Valley Park, Phoenix Park, Porterstown to Lucan before a big black cloud changed my plans (very wimpish I know). Back by the Strawberry Beds with a few circuits of the Park to finish. 54k in just under 2 hrs. - made a nice change from NCD and Howth. Looked wet over towards the mountains.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

Well after managing 70 odd km last week this week was a complete disaster.

Lesson 1. Do not attempt to run 5km after a 20 k cycle ( for the first time in 23 years ! ) just because you think its a good idea.

Lesson 2. If you can't actually dress yourself the next day due to un-friggen-believable pain in legs don't attempt to walk downstairs front ways ! You will fall!!

Lesson 3. DON'T loose faith get up on it again and get going, 31km today along coastal Louth . Happy out.

Thanks all .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

40km today with breakfast at the people's park in Dun laoghaire. Pizza and doughnuts.

That Mount Merrion Avenue is a b1tch, if you're me. I thought I was going to die.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Only light wind this morning. Forgot what it was like to cycle when its not a hurricane outside

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

moonshadow wrote: »

Lesson 2. If you can't actually dress yourself the next day due to un-friggen-believable pain in legs don't attempt to walk downstairs front ways ! You will fall!!

Like this?

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

nearly had an oopsie today! going over train tracks that are at a slight angle on the road, hopped the front wheel over them but the back wheel decided to go for a little slip and slide haha, managed to keep it somehow! knew the mtbing would come in handy :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭veetwin

Lovely morning for a 30 km spin around North Dublin. Managed a pathetic even for a fat guy 23.6km ph. My fitness is totally gone due to a lack of miles done since Christmas due to work and weather as well as extra pounds put on. Some serious work to be done in the coming month as I had contemplated doing the Rathoath 130k in March. Seriously doubting myself now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

veetwin wrote: »
    Lovely morning for a 30 km spin around North Dublin. Managed a pathetic even for a fat guy 23.6km ph. My fitness is totally gone due to a lack of miles done since Christmas due to work and weather as well as extra pounds put on. Some serious work to be done in the coming month as I had contemplated doing the Rathoath 130k in March. Seriously doubting myself now.

Prove yourself wrong, keep working at it and I guarantee you will get to 130k by 16th of March. You really only need to be able to do 60-70% of the total distance (let's say 85k) before then, on the day adrenaline and support will take care of the rest.

Make it to 40km next spin, and keep stepping it up like that without doing any damage to yourself and you'll definitely make it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Valentine's day card for my wife, Ewa :-)

293885.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement