Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

That the Galway Cycle group?

I saw one of your clubmates on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

52km today out via Manor Kilbride to Blessington and back. I felt a lot better than I have on previous spins - I could have done a few more kms but Mrs. crosstownk had the dinner ready to go as I approached home and I needed those carbs. The coddle was excellent!! Hopefully I'm making progress - it certainly feels like it.

Thank God for a bit of decent weather at last. I've been melting on the indoor bike these last few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭red man walking

headed out today Balbriggan, Stamullen, Four Knocks, Garristown, Lusk, Rush, into Skerries where I was feeling a little tired but knew I only had about 8km to go to get home so was pushing on and then all of a sudden I heard a crunch from the back wheel, looked down only to find I managed to snap the chain in two. so all in 56km on bike and an 8km lift home. :-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

A 30 minute burst along Lake Zurich to find my LHRT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭del_boy13

Yesterday Swords - Rush - Balbriggan on the coast road - Drogheda - Duleek - Bellewestown - Naul Garristown rd - Nags Head - back to Swords the back way - 97k all in was knackered at the end.

Met a young fella from Rush who came along for the spin. He left me for dead going up Bellewstown.

Mention for the fantastic views along the coast road.

Saw 3 other lads on Storck Scenero G2's yesterday think it was the most common bike I saw all day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭jgreene83

Today was my first cycle in 3 / 4 months. In Nov I injured my knee pretty badly and was left barely able to walk for almost 5 weeks, fully supported knee brace, MRI, physiotherapy, etc. I was a little wary about going back out on the bike and had planned on doing spinning for a number of weeks before going back out on the roads, planned....until this morning!

Anyway, I've been psychologically building up to it but fear of injuring myself again was holding me back. So this morning I went to get the bus, I commute from Celbridge, but it drove past full. Too late to make the train so decided it was time. Went home gave the bike a quick going over to make sure everything was working as it should, pumped the tires, got myself ready and went for it.

22.5 km and 56 mins later I was in work and couldn't be happier. Wasn't the fastest and felt a little tired towards the end but the main thing was I did it and I did it pain free. Was nice and dry until I hit the city centre when the sky decided to open up and soak me but it was nice. So a little tired, a little wet but mainly delighted with myself. Now lets hope I make it home alive. :D John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭Myksyk

Did my first road cycle this year yesterday. A moderately paced 35k to get back in to the feel of things. Bloody right leg giving me a little jip tho .. might be the base of the ITB rubbing on right hand side of right knee. Annoying. Didn't hurt during the cycle but afterwards felt a little bit sore. More worried that it will inflame if I do more.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 poddle

Have a nice weekend route for myself now. Only able to do 41km of it today due to time issues.

Highlight today had to be the fella in the Hyundai Coupe who got really, really upset at a couple of guys who broke a red light. It seemed like he was on the horn for ages but the when I looked at the video I recorded it doesn't come across that way. Plus I put some tape over the mic last night to cut down on wind noise :/

Also say a guy cycling in what looked like a top that was meant to be like a skeleton.

Plenty of cyclist out and about where i was to day too.

That Guy with the skeleton top was with us yesterday. You were on a Hybrid Bike ..I think !! The Hyundai man went stone mad when two guys went thru the lights at Blackrock Hospital. We cycled 67 Kms yesterday ..Raheny into Bray ,Bray into Dalkey thru Killiney ( That climb up vico nearly killed me !) and home ...Nice day in all !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

poddle wrote: »
    That Guy with the skeleton top was with us yesterday. You were on a Hybrid Bike ..I think !! The Hyundai man went stone mad when two guys went thru the lights at Blackrock Hospital.

Yep, that was me. I was on a Boardman pro and cunningly disguised as a commuter due to "cycling" self esteem issues. I'll man up some day. :pac:

He did go a bit overboard though. If that p1ssed him off so much I'd hate to have his stress levels!

I actually have a video of the incident but it is bizarre how it doesn't do it justice. He actually wasn't on the horn that long, even though I'd have swore he was. I did have some tape over the mic to cut down on wind noise, which dulled the sound a lot though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I actually have a video of the incident

Can we see it? If just for 'entertainment'.......?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

crosstownk wrote: »
    Can we see it? If just for 'entertainment'.......?

It's nothing exciting tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 259 ✭✭lismore7

Being a rural rider and not a city cyclist, is that commen for cyclists to go through red lights?
    Personally I wouldn't..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

It's nothing exciting tbh.
    Surprised he didn't feel the need to beep at the car breaking the lights too.

I feel sorry for the couple crossing who broke into a trot to escape the cyclists and/or horn.

Those pedestrians did have to quicken their pace just a tad to avoid getting mowen down by the 2 cyclists while crossing the road at what looks like a pedestrian crossing under a red light situation !!!

Think I'll stick to rural cycling....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

There is only one set of (new) lights in my local village and everyone stops and looks regardless of the colour of them !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

lismore7 wrote: »
    Being a rural rider and not a city cyclist, is that commen for cyclists to go through red lights?
    Personally I wouldn't..

Generally I don't, there are two sets of lights on my commute which can only be triggered by a car though so I sometimes have to break them if theres no traffic. I also commute through the city at nightclub closing time several nights a week and it can often be safer to keep moving if I get unwanted attention. :pac:

Cycling home this evening was a bit mad, forgot it was rag week here in Cork so will have to alter my route a little!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Jude13

Got on my bike (scott speedster) for the first time in ages on Friday. A pal of mine was doing a local half ironman and I pedaled in the grannyist of granny gears for his run (20km). I snapped my achillies in November and got my boot off a month or so ago.

Felt so good just to be back on the bike, however my leg was pretty stiff the next morning hobbling around. Need to get back into it. We have the Tour of Oman starting this week so I will try and get some pics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

Cycled from swinford mayo to aclare

23.8km in 1hr 8mins

Avrg speed:21.2km

On my giant escape 3

Legs are shot to peices but enjoyed it:)

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭lukegjpotter

On Saturday, I cycled 50km, from Athlone to Ballinasloe and back.
    I get wet, seen an Alpaca farm, seen an Otter, bonked an hour from home, got even wetter and really cold. Fun times, bringing food with me on the long rides anymore. The physical pain and mental anguish of bonking was really hard to take, and left me with mental scars rather than build character.
    http://www.strava.com/activities/113431075

I cycled all around Athlone town this evening, 22km.
    http://www.strava.com/activities/114305708

• Advertisement

SomeFool wrote: »
    Generally I don't, there are two sets of lights on my commute which can only be triggered by a car though so I sometimes have to break them if theres no traffic. I also commute through the city at nightclub closing time several nights a week and it can often be safer to keep moving if I get unwanted attention. :pac:

Cycling home this evening was a bit mad, forgot it was rag week here in Cork so will have to alter my route a little!

Good point about the auto traffic lights only triggered by cars and I can see the issue when a cyclist approaches and no cars around....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Due to work and weather, haven't been back on the bike since Christmas eve, so snuck out for a lunch time spin up Cruagh to Johnnie Foxes and back. Really need to get some long ones in over the next few weekends.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

smacl wrote: »
    Due to work and weather, haven't been back on the bike since Christmas eve, so snuck out for a lunch time spin up Cruagh to Johnnie Foxes and back. Really need to get some long ones in over the next few weekends.

What are the conditions up there like now? I am planning heading out that way on Saturday

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

godtabh wrote: »
    What are the conditions up there like now? I am planning heading out that way on Saturday

Lovely bright spring day, quite mild with little wind. Ideal cycling conditions. Saturday is looking good according to the met 5 day forecast, though you'd want to check again closer to the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

godtabh wrote: »

I was up there today the roads are OK a small bit of gravel but not bad if you go over to view point then on to glencree there is a dead horse on the road :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

21km in 57:30 around Ranelagh, Blackrock, Dun Laoighaire & back to Stillorgan.

First proper spin after being out with a chest infection.

Gonna try a 60km spin on Friday.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Carpenter wrote: »
    I was up there today the roads are OK a small bit of gravel but not bad if you go over to view point then on to glencree there is a dead horse on the road :eek:

Random

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭mamax

Had a nice spin today before work with an ave speed of 24.1 kph

Date: 19 Feb 2014
    Distance: 36.07 km
    Duration: 1:29:55

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭lukegjpotter

SSCC Training: IDA Intervals

First time doing intervals with the cycling club here in Athlone.
    I was able to maintain pace with the group when they were not in interval mode. But when they went for the interval I was dropped almost immediately. So I just did my own interval. Then they would lap me, looking over my shoulder as they approached was like that scene in i,Robot where Will Smith is in the house and the demolition machines, with lights, activate and destroy the house.
    I've done laps of the IDA, alone, before. But with the other guys circling it added extra impetus. I quite enjoyed the experience this evening.
    I also seen a bike crash happen in front of me, which I missed by twice the length of some old British King's feet. No one was seriously hurt, but a derailleur hanger will be going to that big bike shop in the sky. It served as a reminder of two things. One, that you must never break when in a corner. Two, all bikes should carry a parts donation card.

http://www.strava.com/activities/114760195

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 174 ✭✭Midnight64

Took delivery of the new bike today and went for a short spin (first in a few years). Really enjoyed it and looking forward to riding out again tomorrow. A concerted effort required to reduce the effect of way too many pies!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement