Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Paco Rodriguez

First trip of the year for me. Dublin city to Greystones along the coast and back. Lovely sunny day for it.

Bit of gravel in the middle of a roundabout near Bray golf course almost threw me.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Diggabot

Amprodude wrote: »
    Did 105km solo today at an average speed 26.6kph. 1065m of climbing. Tired.

Great effort!

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Rambling Man

72km today. It was a bit up and down, but that's Bellewstown and Ardcath for you. Coffee dispenser plaudits to Emo petterdil station in Garristown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I've had my eye on Sally Gap since getting back on the bike late last year. Due to weather conditions and time the opportunity didn't arise.

However, yesterday was the perfect oppourtunity and I decided to give it a go up the R759 from the N81 side. I got a puncture and developed some sort of a gearshift problem with my RD but it didn't stop me. I found the last 3km to the crossroads a bit tough. My legs were tired yesterday but not a bother on them today which surprised me.

55km done and I'm happy with that.

50km done today. Was hoping to do at least 70km but the weather got the better of me. Last 15km in a driving rain but I must admit I got a sadistic pleasure from riding in those conditions :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 287 ✭✭MLC61

Did 85km yesterday and my legs are tired today.
    Out through Saggart, Newcastle, Maynooth and into Kilcock and back through Dunboyne.
    Can anybody recommend some similar runs, approx 100 km?
    Have to try to keep it on the flat for now as one of our group is refusing to do hills until he drops some weight.
    All suggestions welcome

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Scrappy600

Did 26.5k of interval sprints on the trainer. Wasn't overly tough so I think I need to push harder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

MLC61 wrote: »
    Did 85km yesterday and my legs are tired today.
    Out through Saggart, Newcastle, Maynooth and into Kilcock and back through Dunboyne.
    Can anybody recommend some similar runs, approx 100 km?
    Have to try to keep it on the flat for now as one of our group is refusing to do hills until he drops some weight.
    All suggestions welcome

Hills help to drop weight quicker than the flat!!

At Kilcock you could continue out to Enfield, then Summerhill and onto Dunboyne then.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭hsilgnede

I did 40k this morning around Limerick/East Clare. The rain was washing sweat into my eyes causing them to feel like they were being burned with acid, so I turned for home maybe 15k before I planned to. Was the worst rain I've been out in since October. Still enjoyed the spin though.

And on getting home I ordered a cycling hat to try and keep this from happening again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

[/QUOTE/]And on getting home I ordered a cycling hat to try and keep this from happening again.[/QUOTE]

That will work, especially in summer when their will be more sweat and longer spins

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Halo V sweat band is what I use to keep sweat at bay, great piece of kit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 287 ✭✭MLC61

Hills help to drop weight quicker than the flat!!

At Kilcock you could continue out to Enfield, then Summerhill and onto Dunboyne then.

He is working on the basis that 85km and 3 1/2 hours on the bike will burn more calories than half that distance and time on hills. Cycling th hills shortens the trip an awful lot for him.

Is the road from Kilcock to Summerhill a good road? Roughly what will that add to the distance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

MLC61 wrote: »

Is the road from Kilcock to Summerhill a good road? Roughly what will that add to the distance.

Tis a good road in the main. Nice drag on it as well(not a hill). Kilcock to Summerhill is approx 10km. Summerhill to Dunboyne then is approx 18km.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Did my first 60km today. 61.3

I used all the info I have learned from here to make sure I was OK and ate some fig rolls every 20km! (Unlike when I did my first and only 50km)

25oubrm.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭red man walking

81km today, first 40 and the weather was good, stopped for a cuppa and when I was leaving the heavens opened, needless to say I was soaked by the time I got home. ahwell

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Onefortysix

70K loop up Cruagh, Military Rd and down to Enniskerry and back

https://www.strava.com/activities/117249881

Bloody windy over Featherbeds and chilly up high. Lovely though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Went out again today and did 68km. Bit of head wind and rain. Two good days on the bike overall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭ckeego

70K loop up Cruagh, Military Rd and down to Enniskerry and back

https://www.strava.com/activities/117249881

Bloody windy over Featherbeds and chilly up high. Lovely though.

Onefortysix as a callsign, has to stop for a coffee and loves the Cruagh, Military Rd loop-NOW! I wonder who that is??!!:p:p:p

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Onefortysix

Just a lonely driver enjoying his weekend off.... :) missed ya up there Keego!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Had an hour to spare so did a quick few laps around the local business park, still getting used to cleats and finally sorted out my right one, it was giving me pain in my foot after only 10 minutes but a small adjustment on the shoe sorted it. Realised when I got back there was a Strava segment on the lap and I got 2nd.... out of 3 people.. haha, fun all the same, got to start using it more and clock up some km.

http://www.strava.com/activities/117452441

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Scrappy600

rizzodun wrote: »
    Had an hour to spare so did a quick few laps around the local business park, still getting used to cleats and finally sorted out my right one, it was giving me pain in my foot after only 10 minutes but a small adjustment on the shoe sorted it. Realised when I got back there was a Strava segment on the lap and I got 2nd.... out of 3 people.. haha, fun all the same, got to start using it more and clock up some km.

http://www.strava.com/activities/117452441

How many kom heads on here have just started planning a trip to Sligo I wonder?!!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

On the beer all weekend so a quick 35km this morning to get it out of the system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Scrappy600 wrote: »
    How many kom heads on here have just started planning a trip to Sligo I wonder?!!!

WAIT! Just give me a few days to get 1st on it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Found myself with a few unexpected hours off today so went for a 30km spin and took in some hill work. My average speed was low as a result, 22kmph and 890ft of climbing (average gradient for one of those climbs was around 8degrees over 1km) It was extremely mild today and I had too many layers in which didn't help either but got a good buzz after reaching the top of Cark (outside Letterkenny)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭t'bear

CJC999 wrote: »
    Found myself with a few unexpected hours off today so went for a 30km spin and took in some hill work. My average speed was low as a result, 22kmph and 890ft of climbing (average gradient for one of those climbs was around 8degrees over 1km) It was extremely mild today and I had too many layers in which didn't help either but got a good buzz after reaching the top of Cark (outside Letterkenny)

Feet? What are these feet you speak of?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

CJC999 wrote: »

Only an Irishman could write that description

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭Peterx

Did my first commute by bike in a month today. It felt great. I caught myself singing out loud at one point "I can hear your heartbeat, the sound of it is sooooooo sweet" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Scrumdog

I didn't get out over the weekend. Was having a bit of a guilt trip today about it. Decided to finish work early and punish myself with 40k of hills around garristown and naul. First bit of hill work in ages,was tough on the legs but it was very enjoyable..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭TonyStark

Club spin at the weekend. One of the more disappointing days on the bike. Got dropped on the hills far too easily by the others... need to get better at climbing. Onwards and upwards :-/

http://www.strava.com/activities/117203375

• Advertisement

Scrumdog wrote: »
    I didn't get out over the weekend. Was having a bit of a guilt trip today about it. Decided to finish work early and punish myself with 40k of hills around garristown and naul. First bit of hill work in ages,was tough on the legs but it was very enjoyable..

Was up around that way yesterday. Got caught in a serious downpour. Better day for it today.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement