Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Did a quick FTP test this morning. Gained 20 watts over the last time. Not the most accurate but a good benchmark

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

My third spin back after a few months off the bike,nice day for it.

http://www.strava.com/activities/117671358

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Dcully wrote: »
    My third spin back after a few months off the bike,nice day for it.

http://www.strava.com/activities/117671358

Popular loop. Saw some one do the same one this morning on my strava feed

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

godtabh wrote: »
    Popular loop. Saw some one do the same one this morning on my strava feed

Yeah i met a few out on the road,plenty of short sharp hills to help me regain the small bit of fitness i had and lost over the winter months :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Scrappy600

61k loop from leixlip to celbridge, newcastle, rathcoole, johnstown, kill, naas, sallins, straffan, maynooth and home to celbridge. Weather was beautiful and i reckon i could have gotten away with the shorts. T'is changin for the better finally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 110 ✭✭martin.mcevoy

First outing of the year on the "good bike". An hour and a half of lovely weather and quiet roads. This was why God made Mayo. :cool:
    Shocked to see a difference in average speed of 3km/hr on the "winter bike" over a 45km loop.
    Tús maith leath na hoibre, etc, etc :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭spoke2cun

Went for a nice 30km spin outside letterkenny this afternoon. First spin in 3 weeks! Fantastic day for it. I must ramp it up a bit now over the coming weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭spoke2cun

First outing of the year on the "good bike". An hour and a half of lovely weather and quiet roads. This was why God made Mayo. :cool:
    Shocked to see a difference in average speed of 3km/hr on the "winter bike" over a 45km loop.
    Ní raibh fíos agam go raibh gaelic ar bith agaibh ansin LOL! Maith thú a Mhartín.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

So 3km/hr faster on the 'good' bike?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 110 ✭✭martin.mcevoy

So 3km/hr faster on the 'good' bike?

Yep faster on the good bike and hoping to improve that tomorrow.
    Having said that the good bike is a Felt AR4 and the "other" bike is a Giant Defy 3....so even standing still it should be faster :D

• Advertisement

Yep faster on the good bike and hoping to improve that tomorrow.
    Having said that the good bike is a Felt AR4 and the "other" bike is a Giant Defy 3....so even standing still it should be faster :D

I'm jealous of those with 'good' bikes. Hoping to get me a better one some time during the year. An upgrade on the wheels will have to do for the moment.Also looking forward to removing the mudguards as I'm sick to death of them now. Can't keep the cassette and/or derailers clean at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

In an on-road cycle lane this morning Taxi overtakes, indicates intention to turn left and then stopped to allow me through, I also had an Audi driver wait to allow me through at a pinch point this morning, the dawn of spring must be getting to people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Took the Tifosi out for her second complete Spin.

This time I took her up Cruagh Road (six stops, one for mech issue (turned out to be the derailleur cable hitting the crank) five for err...engine problems.

Went up towards Featherbeds but since the Wicklow skyscape was sponsored by Lord Sauron I decided not to take any chances on my innaugural proper spin and went down Kilakee road instead, descended super slow at first as I was getting used to the new aggressive cockpit on the Tifosi, it was pretty weird at first, but the calipers (with new Swisstop shoes and pads thanks to a friend) worked fine and apart from maybe needing to set the seat back a bit I'm pretty happy with the geo for desceding now, it seems to trade comfort for control and once I got a bit of confidence in the bike I was able to pick it up to my usual Kilakee descent speeds (sub 40 on account of not wanting to be an unhappy memory for the first motorist who can;t stay on their side of a bend) when i got back into rathfarnham, I had a few more annoying mech issues, namely a badly set limit screw (by me, which I swore I had fixed since the time I started having issues with the FD as set up by Wiggle.

This happened a few more times until I finally got the limit right in Terenure, after that it was plain sailing apart from an aggressive beeping pass from a gesticulating taxi driver with no passenger who objected to my use of the bus lane, and finally embarrassing myself by cross chaining at the last set of lights before home..

All in all a mitigated success....now for cleaning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭t'bear

63k round by Dunshaughlin culmullen Kilbride and then up to Garristown. Avg was 27.6 which I was happy with. Damp and have a nice dirty bike now but it was quite warm out. I gave it a bit of a push to Garristown but still way off my Pb. New tyres and brake arrived from chain reactions, shipped yesterday😊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭Dave1442397

With the temps above freezing yesterday, I managed a nice 85km ride after work. It got cold once the sun disappeared behind clouds, but it was nice to get out instead of going to the gym.

http://app.strava.com/activities/118073650

Current temp is -4C with wind chill at -10, so I'm back to the gym today. The weekend's looking good, though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Got out for a 40ish Km spin around Lucan after my cycling plans were derailled (stuck in work in the morning and had to be in the house at 1400 in order to errr...soak some beans.

Feeling super slow but that might have been due in part to the faulty valve that was slowly deflating my front tyre.

Managed to get into Stagg Cycles in Lucan on my best minipumped effort (probably around 30 psi!) and shamefacedly asked for a loan of their track pump (Blown away by the customer service there) would have bought a CO2 kit there and then if I hadn't left my wallet at home....

Strava/my phone crashed when I paused it for the flat so no idea of the exact final stats...but I'll go ahead and posit the theory of "Not Good"

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭lukegjpotter

Lough Funshinagh Loop - man has lakes, so he will circumnavigate them.

Decided to go around Lough Funshinagh today.
    I created the loop on Garmin Connect, and synced it to my Edge 810. I kicked off the course.
    I set the Garmin to display four items;
    • Distance to next turn,
    • Cadence,
    • Speed,
    • Distance Remaining on the course.

I was following it, it was all great. Then the road was flooded, so I had to turn around. Did the Garmin want to recalculate the route... no. Every time I got near a turn, it was telling me to do a U-turn. I had to manually figure out the route. I regained the course and everything was good again.
    Food-wise I made 400ml of Orange and Grape juice, 200ml into each bidon and topped off with water. My back pocket contained four BN biscuits. I also had €20 in my Jersey bin, in case of bonking.
    Garmin Connect said that it was record total of climbing; 578 meters.

http://www.strava.com/activities/118738471

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

105km with the Galway cycle training group today out the n4, some serious crosswinds dangerous at times.

sullzz wrote: »
    105km with the Galway cycle training group today out the n4, some serious crosswinds dangerous at times.

How far out did ye go? Was woeful for us when we emerged at Enfield and turned for home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

How far out did ye go? Was woeful for us when we emerged at Enfield and turned for home.

Went out a good bit past kinnegad just to where the n4 meets the m4 I suppose halfway between kinnegad and mullingar, it was scary at times sudden gusts of wind.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Enjoying a rare w/e in Dublin so treated myself to a 3 hour pre match cycle this morning in Meath and Kildare. On my way back to D15 via the Moor of Meath a cyclist approaching me waved mendown and pleaded with me to stop.

He was about my aged, Eastern European and deeply distressed.

I asked him what it was that I could help him with. He asked me to recommend a road from where we were to Dublin that avoided the wind. He had been cycling from Rathoat (into the wind).

Best I could advise was to take next turn left to keep wind at his side.

I hope he made it, I have never met someone sondistressed on a bike.

ROK ON wrote: »
    Enjoying a rare w/e in Dublin so treated myself to a 3 hour pre match cycle this morning in Meath and Kildare. On my way back to D15 via the Moor of Meath a cyclist approaching me waved mendown and pleaded with me to stop.

He was about my aged, Eastern European and deeply distressed.

I asked him what it was that I could help him with. He asked me to recommend a road from where we were to Dublin that avoided the wind. He had been cycling from Rathoat (into the wind).

Best I could advise was to take next turn left to keep wind at his side.

I hope he made it, I have never met someone sondistressed on a bike.

No avoiding the wind today really unless you were only travelling north.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 503 ✭✭✭davidsatelle100

Went out planning to do about 80, wind was mental so took the easy (sort of) way out and done a few laps of the park still dodgy enough if spots with close passes of cars etc.

still done 50 today and hopefully get out again in the morning for a bit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

Got out for a 40ish Km spin around Lucan after my cycling plans were derailled (stuck in work in the morning and had to be in the house at 1400 in order to errr...soak some beans.

Is that some kind of euphemism?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

would have bought a CO2 kit there and then if I hadn't left my wallet at home....

For future reference, if you're out without enough cash and in need of a repair/part, a shop can do a 'customer not present' card transaction to get you out of a hole. Assuming, of course, that you carry your cc details around in your head...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 139 ✭✭purple cow

Intention was to go from Blessington to Slieve Maan. Got hopelessly lost with my buddy around Glen of Imaal. After some more aimless wandering we headed for home. A really tough day for me with the wind, plus I haven't got out enough over the winter. Did a leg aching 68km today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭scott.s

Went out this morning planning on doing around 1:30 and getting back on time to watch Strade Bianche. My spin was extended when I got somewhat lost (thought there was a road where there was none) and had to do a longer loop than planned.

Ended up doing 54km. Horribly windy out there today. Had some very slow moments but also some nice tailwind riding occasionally.

Passed a group of cyclists at one point going in the opposite direction. I was jealous of the people sitting in in the group, hiding from the wind.

Was out around Dunboyne/Ratoath/Blanch and such so if you saw a guy wearing a fluo gabba and a bongohat, that was me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭Dave1442397

I went out on the local club ride today...92km on a beautiful, sunny Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Had no chance to get out for a proper spin for weeks because of work and kids and decided last night to have a big feed of spuds and steak and wash them off with 4 lovely pints. Then the missus tells me she's not working till 2 so I can head off for a spin in the morning.

Anyway, biggest cycle yet despite being bloated like a pig and fitness well down so good result. Thighs were burning like hell for the last few kms but energy was grand.
    59.3 km in 2.22.36 @25km/h
    http://www.strava.com/activities/118984652

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Dunboyne-Lucan-Castleknock-Dunboyne.

Nice day But sweet jesus do I hate cars....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement