Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

not yet wrote: »
    Dunboyne-Lucan-Castleknock-Dunboyne.

Nice day But sweet jesus do I hate cars....

+1 on the car point. Their attitude is getting worse every day I am out. Those RSA adverts are obviously a waste.

Cracking day for a cycle. Finally a dry mild day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

SPRING IS HERE!

Nicest spin on a bike for a while. Hope is keeps up for the next while.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭jober

Lovely day for cycling
    I had a 2 hour window to get some kms got 56km in
    And I finally beat my nemesis of a hill (firhouse- brittas ) ballnasorny I think it's called
    First goal of the year done, next one now is get up over sallys or Wicklow gap with out stopping

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

bazermc wrote: »
    +1 on the car point. Their attitude is getting worse every day I am out. Those RSA adverts are obviously a waste.

Cracking day for a cycle. Finally a dry mild day.

I fcuking dread hearing a car behind me on back roads, you never know if it'll be one of the decent ones or some clown who just has to squeeze past you to save 00.005 seconds.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

i'd love to know where ye all found nice weather. was mild enough here, but a really heavy mist/rain fallling all the time, came home with sopping feet, but still a smile for getting out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭lukegjpotter

Athlone, Moate, Mt. Temple, MIL Circuit and back home. 50km

I had it in my head to ride a circuit of Shannonside Cycling Club's MIL Circuit for a while. I was either going to drive out and ride the three laps, or cycle to Moate and ride one lap.

I decided not to go on the club ride with Shannonside Cycling Club this morning, as the legs were not feeling strong after the ride yesterday.

Garmin Edge 810 maps problems again, I created the single lap course on Garmin Connect ( http://connect.garmin.com/course/5893171 ) and synced it to my device. Set the Edge to ride to the course, I expected it to keep bitching about not taking the shortest route to the start of the Mount Temple loop. The end of the course I created was about 100 meters away from the start. I had no idea exact idea where I was, it told me to turn and I hit the end of the course, then the course exited. A direct quote from me was "****ing maps, you ****ing piece of ****, what are you playing at?" After riding around on the right track again, the maps said "Course Available", or something. It highlighted the route again, but the navigation wasn't there.

I got around the lap, my time was nowhere near the records, due to me getting a feel for the course and not pushing hard. I'll be looking at Cat 4 in the Midlands Interclub League race series this season.

Other than the maps and the MIL lap, it was wet out there today. I met loads of people out bike riding. Kudos to them for braving the weather. I enjoyed it too.

It was a good four days of riding as I build up to the circumnavigation of Lough Ree at the end of March and the Cycle Against Suicide on May Bank holiday.

http://www.strava.com/activities/119073546

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

215km spin around South Tipperary, south Kilkenny, Carlow and "public road only" climb of Mount Leinster. Hungry now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Lovely day for cycling around the city, though I managed to lose my stem cap somewhere on the cobblestones around Grand Canal Dock. And it was a really nice one. Bah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

ford2600 wrote: »
    215km spin around South Tipperary, south Kilkenny, Carlow and "public road only" climb of Mount Leinster. Hungry now!

You're a pure savage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

WOW, some spin. My good lady would have something to say about me disappearing for a whole day :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Diggabot

Awesome effort... well done!!!!!!

You're a pure savage.

Harmless savage for last 60km looking back at my rear wheel hoping it wouldn't give up after breaking spoke.

My good lady would have something to say about me disappearing for a whole day

Takes a bit of negotiating! She sails on Sundays which helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I headed out from home out the Tallaght bypass (I hate the dual carriage stretch) and decided to swing left up Seskin. It's been 25 years since I went up that hill and it was tough. I never turn back even on pain of death so I plugged on and made it. I rejoined the N81 and carried on to Blessington and back via Manor Kilbride. 50km and happy. Bank Holiday next weekend so hoping for similar weather and forecast looks good at the moment!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 377 ✭✭Jocry

Managed 91km around NCD, plenty of wind around, builds up an appetite though, havent stopped eating since I came home :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Flipped the hub on my single speed and rode fixed tonight in the rain for the first time since a child in the 1970's. Great experience and very enjoyable. Did 72km with a mixture of rural, suburban and city centre. I had a few lapses of concentration including one when I reached down for a drink and instinctively stopped pedaling - I was nearly flung over the bars! City centre required concentration and anticipation. I think I'll commute fixed now for a while. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Did my first A4 race in Caherconlish Co. Limerick today. It was a serious reality check didnt finish with main bunch. Pace of main bunch too quick for me. I finished race and hit 35.2kph as average speed but i think it was around 38kph with the main bunch.

Positives:

I finished race 62km without an incident or accident.

There were a good few behind me and cycled 12km of the race solo before a group caught me from behind and i was then able to take cover behind them which helped me gain speed and ground.

I gained racing experience and am strong on the hills. Kept same pace right through. Thats it really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Lawr

Sounds like it was an okay day on the east coast yesterday. In Limerick, I got out at eleven and it was wet, but not raining. Decided to loop from Shannon Banks, Corbally to the Nenagh roundabout via Killaloe and Portroe. Passed O'Brien's Bridge when the rain started. I was soaked and considered turning back in Ballina, but kept going. Finally, in Newtown, I turned back. I was cold and was losing feeling in my hands and feet, my gloves and socks both soaked through. An hour and a half later, I was home thawing having done 77 kms. Can hardly wait for a spring-like day. Saturday was nice, but had to work. Should be a law: no work on warm, dry days.

Lawr wrote: »
    Sounds like it was an okay day on the east coast yesterday. In Limerick, I got out at eleven and it was wet, but not raining. Decided to loop from Shannon Banks, Corbally to the Nenagh roundabout via Killaloe and Portroe. Passed O'Brien's Bridge when the rain started. I was soaked and considered turning back in Ballina, but kept going. Finally, in Newtown, I turned back. I was cold and was losing feeling in my hands and feet, my gloves and socks both soaked through. An hour and a half later, I was home thawing having done 77 kms.quote]

You need better cycling gear. No need to be cold in rain

. I was soaked and considered turning back in Ballina, but kept going. Finally, in Newtown, I turned back. I was cold and was losing feeling in my hands and feet, my gloves and socks both soaked through. An hour and a half later, I was home thawing having done 77 kms.

same area i was cycling in yesterday. was pretty wet alright.agree with ford2600 though , you need better clothes, i was soaked through but never cold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Dunboyne to Ballyfermot @ 8am..Colder then it looked but soon warmed up. Should be a nice spin home later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

mossym wrote: »
    i'd love to know where ye all found nice weather. was mild enough here, but a really heavy mist/rain fallling all the time, came home with sopping feet, but still a smile for getting out

Why Dublin of course - the centre of the universe :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Scrappy600

Quick 20k before lunch around leixlip, maynooth celbridge. Have 20k down to about 48-49 minutes now. Also got my first strava podium today!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

Really nice spin yesterday , first time for me as a newbie in company which was a great help. Pretty much hugged the coast of South Louth/North Meath managing 52km avg 24 kmph.( longest yet for me)
    Met a group of 20 or so outside Drogheda presume it was the wheelers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Awesome morning to just tinkle about. Went up Howth, looked out at the boats. Headed home. Sun warm on my back, wind chilly in my face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Lawr

You need better cycling gear. No need to be cold in rain

I'm all ears if you have recommendations. My torso and legs were fine. It was my hands and feet. I had merino wool gloves (though I question the quality of these) and surgical gloves on yesterday and wool-blend socks in 2 ltr freezer bags, with overshoes over that. Still got wet, and did get cold enough for my blood to rush out of my extremities into my core.

I'm all ears if you have recommendations. My torso and legs were fine. It was my hands and feet. I had merino wool gloves (though I question the quality of these) and surgical gloves on yesterday and wool-blend socks in 2 ltr freezer bags, with overshoes over that. Still got wet, and did get cold enough for my blood to rush out of my extremities into my core.

In no order
    mudguards
    keep core warm, thermal jersey with rain jacket
    don't restrict blood flow to feet
    thicker bar tape
    buff/cap
    pedal harder!

bazermc wrote: »
    Why Dublin of course - the centre of the universe :D

ah right. even dry weather isn't worth that. rain yesterday doesn't seem as bad now. cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

I cycled to work this morning for the first time on my new bike (a Trek FX 7.5 I bought two weeks ago). I've put about 80km on the bike and already the pedals are gone to shít - that plastic body isn't up to standing up if you weigh as much as I do I suppose. So first new purchase is all-metal pedals. Besides that, not having to take the bus and the long cycle down the canal was amazing :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I decided to throw the hybrid into the boot of the car on my way to work this morning which was a good plan. I got 18km in at lunch time around Dublin Airport. Better than my usual 5km walk!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Hit the west for weekend. Saturday was Toombeola (5K N of Roundstone towards N59) - Cashel - Kilkieran - Glinsk - Cashel - Toombeola. 65km, with about 20 into a pig of a wind. As a tailwind, though, it was a handy 40kmph spin for 20km back again.

Sunday was Bealadangain (sp?) -Lettermore - Gorumna and back... a sort of tour of small bays and quays with Mrs B. Just 35 km, but really nice pottering about.

My Ultegra Di2 was giving me fierce gyp in the middle gears (4/5 or so). Any tips on indexing it?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement