Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your unpopular music opinions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

karaokeman wrote: »
    If you remember correctly I said Westlife "pale in comparison" to The Beatles.

Thats little comparison on my part.

You also said the Beatles were "ordinary", followed a few posts later by the Beatles being "fantastic".

Anyone else smell a guy trying to get a rise? Either that or a guy who just doesnt know. U2 better than the Beatles?? I may never stop laughing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

**Vai** wrote: »
    Anyone else smell a guy trying to get a rise?
    As loathe as I am to be picking on someone, here are a few other gems:
    Does anyone else think that rock genres like emo and punk will eventually die out?
    Oxegen in general has much better line-ups than Glastonbury.
    I love Miley Cyrus. She has a haunting voice and its perfectly suited to ballads
    Shane Filan says yes to a Westlife reunion
    Girls Aloud are class
    Who is the most overrated band?
    For me its The Prodigy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

El Pr0n wrote: »
    I don't really get this one... Here's another unpopular opinion from me. A 'great voice' isn't enough to be a good musician. Adele, Amy Winehouse, Michael Bublé, Beyoncé, Jennifer Lopez, Tom Jones, anyone else like that, they have 'great voices', but they're not doing anything to make music better... Now I don't know the exact details of everyone in that list, as regards whether or not they write their own songs or anything, but you know what I mean. They all made it big 'cause of a notably good voice. But everyone knows a few people with great singing voices, and if someone who couldn't sing wanted to pay for singing lessons, they could have a great singing voice too. That isn't enough. Or, at least, it shouldn't be.

Whatever about the others, Amy Winehouse was way more than a great voice.

And anyway, great singers are not always overrated. There an awful lot to being a truly great singer. You might be able to teach someone how to technically be a good singer, but you can't teach someone how to interpret and put their own stamp on a song. Billie Holiday rarely wrote any of her songs, but the songs she chose to sing were so perfectly interpreted that they became pieces of autobiography. She's one of the greatest, if not the greatest, singer of all time simply due to her incredible ability to interpret lyrics and make a song her own. Frank Sinatra was the same, as were Ella Fitzgerald and Marvin Gaye. I think Amy Winehouse was similar in that she certainly knew how to interpret a song, as well as writing her own material. Singing is often the essence of a lot of great music (since it is the voice that interprets the lyrics), so I don't think a great singer can be overrated (when I say a great singer, I mean people like the ones mentioned above, as opposed to the likes of Mariah Carey, who may be good technically, but certainly doesn't believe anything she sings).

There is an awful lot to be said for being a great singer. There's nothing better, in my opinion, than listening to someone who really understands and identifies with what they're singing about, as well as having a technically great voice.

For example, Marvin Gaye didn't write a single lyric in this song, but it's still a classic and one of the greatest songs ever recorded simply because of his interpretation and fantastic voice:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭SChique00

EarlERizer wrote: »
    I cant stand U2 (more Bono than the band),Elton John (he's Elton John) & Lady Gaga (Madonna wannabe,attention seeking mediawhore,nothing original)

Fav 80s song is "Feels like Heaven - Fiction Factory"

The Jam are legends,Paul Weller is the man,Bob Marley is a god,UB40 were the dogs.

My collection varies from Sinatra to Sex Pistols,Rod Stewart to Rave,I got pop,rock,rap,rave,reggae,classical,country,jazz,indie etc.

Freddie Mercury R.I.P

Agree with you on many points: The Jam vastly outstrip their mod predecessors because their music is structured yet punctuated with snazzy guitar riffs ("Down In The Tubestation At Midnight" is a mighty example) and the lyrics are poetic, thanks to a skinny little chap by the name of PAUL WELLER. To paraphrase another poster on here, that man can "pen a mighty fine tune" for any occasion, and "You Do Something To Me" never fails to send shivers up my spine. The Style Council are listenable, but falter when compared to the genius that was The Jam :D miles better than their punk counterparts any day.

I love "Feels Like Heaven", but I have to say that my favourite would be "Don't You Forget About Me" by Simple Minds - slightly overplayed when related to 80s specials but never fails to cause me to thrust up a fist in righteous indignation, and nod my head rapturously in time to the music. Of course, I am slightly biased because I LOVE Simple Minds, but that's another story.

Bob Marley is a god, there is nothing really more I can add to that. Legends is a brilliant listen.

I can see why you can't stick U2; while I can appreciate their earlier work to an extent (especially before they became U2) Bono seriously irritates me - I think they contracted serious "Police syndrome" in their glory days and never really recovered. But Elton? Surely not - the man is an insightful lyricist, madman pianist, and flexible singer, not to mention one hell of a showman.

As for Gaga, let's not go there - I agree and disagree with you but it'd take me ages to explain why.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

Weller's solo work is outstanding to my ears. Wildwood, Heavy Soul, 22 Dreams the list goes on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

**Vai** wrote: »
    You also said the Beatles were "ordinary", followed a few posts later by the Beatles being "fantastic".

Anyone else smell a guy trying to get a rise? Either that or a guy who just doesnt know. U2 better than the Beatles?? I may never stop laughing.

Ok I will set the record straight about The Beatles in a sentence.

I thought The Beatles were overrated but this thread proved me wrong.

And yes I do like Girls Aloud and Miley Cyrus.

U2 and Coldplay also are the best rock bands who have ever attacked my eardrums.

End of.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

U2 and Coldplay also are the best rock bands who have ever attacked my eardrums.

End of.

sQWO3.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

End of.

Coldplay are "rock"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭wayfarers

breadman wrote: »
    Tori amos is the best female singer in the world,listen to her passion and piano playing on truly imaginative songs.Not a general purpose pop singer, and ive heard them all since the sixties.:cool:

Tori Amos is a self involved narcissist which would be fine for one maybe two albums but she's been wearing 'old hat' her whole career, she's is the poor man's Kate Bush and comes across like a whiny yank who's 'like into unicorns, menstruation and y'know neat stuff like that to p1ss off her baptist dad'. Kate on the other hand calls her own shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

baz2009 wrote: »
    Coldplay are "rock"?

Yes Coldplay are rock.

Liam Gallagher is a joke.

George Michael isn't all he's cracked up to be.

The Kooks are actually one of the most underrated bands of the last few years.

Kelly Clarkson is the best singer in the world.

Slash's band are the real Guns 'N' Roses.

The Adventures of Rain Dance Maggie by Red Hot Chili Peppers is the best rock comeback single ever.

My Chemical Romance and Blink 182 are the type of bands you grow out of but many oldschool fans hate to admit it.

Stop Crying Your Heart Out is the best Oasis song and should have been played on their last two tours.

Will Young isn't a great singer either.

Green Day have some of the best American rock ballads (Eg Are We The Waiting and Wake Me Up When September Ends).

R.E.M are still great.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

wayfarers wrote: »
    Kate on the other hand calls her own shots.
    I remember Lemmy saying that Kate Bush is a true artist due to all the slack she got in the late '70s. Complete original who created her own style which got ripped off by Amos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭Jason Fly

-AC/DC has been releasing the same album for the last 25 years, just changing the cover. all the songs sound the same

-Beyonce is an awful singer

-Nicole Scherzinger is a bad singer, she's also ugly.

-JLS and The Wanted are crap. Boy bands are dead

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Jason Fly wrote: »

I don't think you've ever really heard her sing, I'm not a fan but there is absolutely no denying that she has an incredible voice.

I don't think you've ever really heard her sing, I'm not a fan but there is absolutely no denying that she has an incredible voice.

her songs are only bass and samples... (there's a reason why I posted in the unpopular music opinions, whatever you say, I'll still be thinking she sings like an agonizing cat)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

-AC/DC has been releasing the same album for the last 25 years, just changing the cover. all the songs sound the same

-Nicole Scherzinger is a bad singer, she's also ugly.

-JLS and The Wanted are crap. Boy bands are dead

0/10

her songs are only bass and samples...

Like I said, you haven't really heard her sing, if you'd heard her actually sing, then you wouldn't say that she can't sing.

0/10

absolutely agree
    Like I said, you haven't really heard her sing, if you'd heard her actually sing, then you wouldn't say that she can't sing.

like I said, rubbish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭AhSureTisGrand

I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums.

I think Nirvana will be nothing nowadays if Kurt Cobain was still alive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

I think Nirvana will be nothing nowadays if Kurt Cobain was still alive

Totally agree. I'm not crazy about Nirvana and Kurt Cobain in general, which seems to peeve a lot of people. To be honest, Cobain wouldn't be half the 'legend' people paint him as if he had lived. Sure he was talented, but let's not blow it out of all proportion. Some people really get very carried away when talking about him sometimes. It's almost sacrilege to say that you don't have the utmost respect for Kurt Cobain. He's become virtually untouchable for some people, which I think is ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭ciaranmac

Dylan ... great songwriter, terrible singer.

The Byrds didn't invent folk rock, it was there already.

Arcade fire and Coldplay are the most uninspiring bands of the last 10 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭norris_minor

I think the "urban yoof" culture of rave/hip hop > "grime" masquerading as "music" despite being 'puter generated and featuring no musicianship gave birth to a new breed of neo-degenerate mouthpiece social retard demanding respect and belongings who should be better off trying to air their retarded views on "The Voice" with the rest of the divas.

it's an unpopular view as 90% of our youth would likely get thier Nike branded Adi-naps in a twist over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

ciaranmac wrote: »
    Dylan ... great songwriter, terrible singer.

That's really more a fact.

I think the Foo Fighters are rock by numbers .

Muse have one good song.

Muse have one good song.

fonzie_thumbs_down.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

My Chemical Romance actually put on a really enjoyable live show, and I think Gerard Way is probably sound.

Probably not that unpopular an opinion here, but if you tell any of my real world friends I said it, I'll deny it 'til my dying day.

American rappers/hiphoppers are a bunch of bored millionaires.. the black community should be ashamed of them, the same way we are ashamed of Eminem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

the black community should be ashamed of them, the same way we are ashamed of Eminem

What a retarded statement on so many levels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

I think the "urban yoof" culture of rave/hip hop > "grime" masquerading as "music" despite being 'puter generated and featuring no musicianship gave birth to a new breed of neo-degenerate mouthpiece social retard demanding respect and belongings who should be better off trying to air their retarded views on "The Voice" with the rest of the divas.

it's an unpopular view as 90% of our youth would likely get thier Nike branded Adi-naps in a twist over it.

You've shown a complete ignorance of computer generated music that is beyond astonishing. Are you lumping all 'rave' and 'hip hop' together and are you suggesting that these genres are the cause of the ills in society?

What a retarded statement on so many levels.

T F T I

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

ciaranmac wrote: »
    Arcade fire and Coldplay are the most uninspiring bands of the last 10 years.

Sometimes I don't get Arcade Fire's cutl status but I listened to Parachutes and A Rush of Blood to the Head last night whilst driving and I'd forgotten how much I love Coldplays early stuff so I'd have to disagree with you there

Advertisement