Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your unpopular music opinions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

it's an unpopular view as 90% of our youth would likely get thier Nike branded Adi-naps in a twist over it.

....wait for it.....
    You've shown a complete ignorance of computer generated music that is beyond astonishing. Are you lumping all 'rave' and 'hip hop' together and are you suggesting that these genres are the cause of the ills in society?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

I think the "urban yoof" culture of rave/hip hop > "grime" masquerading as "music" despite being 'puter generated and featuring no musicianship gave birth to a new breed of neo-degenerate mouthpiece social retard demanding respect and belongings who should be better off trying to air their retarded views on "The Voice" with the rest of the divas.

it's an unpopular view as 90% of our youth would likely get thier Nike branded Adi-naps in a twist over it.
    If you think electronic or "computer-generated" music has no creativity or artistic merit go and listen to an Aphex Twin, Boards Of Canada or Autechre album and tell me again. Programming music using software is not simple, in fact it's a very tedious, time-consuming and frustrating process to get something that sounds half-decent and this is coming from first-hand experience.

Also rave isn't the only type of music to give rise to "neo-degenerate mouthpiece social retards". Punk gave birth to RAC (Rock Against Communism) which is dominated primarily by far-right neo-nazi scumbags, the worst scum on the planet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

**Vai** wrote: »
    ....wait for it.....

I'm a non-brand wearing chap in my mid-thirties - I'm hardly a young person. He made a nonsensical and pretty ignorant generalization about music which I wanted him to elaborate on.

Any opinions yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Jason Fly wrote: »
    American rappers/hiphoppers are a bunch of bored millionaires.. the black community should be ashamed of them, the same way we are ashamed of Eminem

First of all, you've clearly never listened to hip hop.
    Secondly, the vast, vast majority were not "bored millionaires" before they were rappers.
    Secondly, why should the black community be ashamed of people like Nas, Wu-Tang Clan, Lupe Fiasco, Brand Nubian, Grandmaster Flash, Rakim, etc. They are all brilliant hip hop artists.
    Thirdly, who the f*ck is "we"? I'm not ashamed of Eminem, and I don't know anyone who is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

American rappers/hiphoppers are a bunch of bored millionaires.. the black community should be ashamed of them, the same way we are ashamed of Eminem

Listen to this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madvillainy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I still love some Limp Bizkit stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭Jason Fly

Elbow are BORING
    smokedeels wrote: »

obviously, I refer to the rappers / hiphoppers we all know, that you can finde'em in the top of the billboards, that made money with a song/album and now they spit at the society looking the rest of the manking over their shoulders, while rubbing their golden rings in their chest while driving Hummers, claiming thermselves like the voice of the people from a Beverly Hills mansion

(got the name, i'll look for some stuff later, thanks for the advice)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭WakeUp

In fairnesss I think Jason has a point to some extent. Some of the best beats/music & lyrics have come from the hip-hop world some of my personal fav tunes of all time are hip-hop tracks there is a vast amount of good hip hop music out there but in my opinion there is no comparison between old skool and whats about today. Old skool wins hands down. Nas is my fav hip hop artist some of his lyrics are poetry in motion its brilliant stuff.

But the dudes that stand up there and rap about bling riches and bitches I just think they are muppetts and its artificially created boll0x. Artificial to me is a record label/company creating a sound, image & style then saturating the market with it until it becomes nearly infectious. A lot of the music about nowadays falls into that category for me but obviously thats just a personal opinion each to their own and all that. Lots of good hip hop about just need to know where to look:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

PaulieC wrote: »
    Sometimes I don't get Arcade Fire's cutl status but I listened to Parachutes and A Rush of Blood to the Head last night whilst driving and I'd forgotten how much I love Coldplays early stuff so I'd have to disagree with you there

If you're not mad into Arcade Fire's stuff I can see why Coldplay's later releases might not appeal, given that they started borrowing quite liberally from their Canadian chums.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

Muse have one good song.
    fonzie_thumbs_down.jpg

Yeah you're right i suppose that one song isn't very good :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

If you're not mad into Arcade Fire's stuff I can see why Coldplay's later releases might not appeal, given that they started borrowing quite liberally from their Canadian chums.
    In what regard?? Lyrically?

Yeah you're right i suppose that one song isn't very good :pac:

actually I was thinking "one song??? no way.... almost two..."

In what regard?? Lyrically?

Lyrically, thematically, musically, everything. Their whole style. Martin's said as much. Started using the same producer, starting to use the same kind of instruments, AFAIK they started recording in a church etc. I'd swear they started dressing and posing like them for press shots and all.

Lyrically, thematically, musically, everything. Their whole style. Martin's said as much. Started using the same producer, starting to use the same kind of instruments, AFAIK they started recording in a church etc. I'd swear they started dressing and posing like them for press shots and all.
    Had no idea - I hadn't listened to either for ages before yesterday.

I really do love A Rush of Blood to the Head as an album though....it's brilliant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

First time I heard Coldplays "Lovers In Japan" I thought...Arcade Fire. Few other bits on album like that too

Swear to God, every time I hear a Coldplay song lately I go "Oooh, it's Crown of Love", and then it all goes a bit downhill.

Lovers in Japan is probably the best example too, yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,663 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Tom Delonge can in fact sing, when hes sober and trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Teddy_Picker

Not going to rock the world of music criticism to its core or anything but here goes :)

80's pop music is some of the best music there is

Power rock ballads (see REO Speedwagon, Boston etc) are excellent

You'll be hard pressed to find a better song of the last 5 years than Lady Gaga's Poker Face

Arctic Monkeys' Alex Turner not only writes great songs, but has one of the finest pop voices of his generation.

Finally, (much as I dislike Westlife) Flying Out Wings is a superior song to everything the Script have recorded rolled into one.

Now, having torn my own credibility to shreds..*runs away*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

You'll be hard pressed to find a better song of the last 5 years than Lady Gaga's Poker Face
    Hard pressed because there's so much to choose from.

An unpopular opinion of my own:
    The Decemberists = dull, dull, dull, dull, dull.

WakeUp wrote: »
    In fairnesss I think Jason has a point to some extent. Some of the best beats/music & lyrics have come from the hip-hop world some of my personal fav tunes of all time are hip-hop tracks there is a vast amount of good hip hop music out there but in my opinion there is no comparison between old skool and whats about today. Old skool wins hands down. Nas is my fav hip hop artist some of his lyrics are poetry in motion its brilliant stuff.

But the dudes that stand up there and rap about bling riches and bitches I just think they are muppetts and its artificially created boll0x. Artificial to me is a record label/company creating a sound, image & style then saturating the market with it until it becomes nearly infectious. A lot of the music about nowadays falls into that category for me but obviously thats just a personal opinion each to their own and all that. Lots of good hip hop about just need to know where to look:)

Of course there are rappers (mainly those in the mainstream) that are very artificial and have no substance, but it's the way he made such a blanket statement about "America's rappers/hip hoppers" and saying the black community should be ashamed of them the same way "we" are supposedly ashamed of Eminem (I'm not). It's the sweeping generalisation of the statement. It's like someone saying all rock music is sh*t and they're all a bunch of whiny basterds based on something like Fall Out Boy or something. You have to look past what you hear on the radio (because the majority (not all) of what you hear on the radio is gonna be either really tame and/or just about sex because sex sells), and unless you do that and investigate a genre fully then you don't really have any basis to making sweeping statements like that.

• Advertisement

First of all, you've clearly never listened to hip hop.
    Secondly, the vast, vast majority were not "bored millionaires" before they were rappers.
    Secondly, why should the black community be ashamed of people like Nas, Wu-Tang Clan, Lupe Fiasco, Brand Nubian, Grandmaster Flash, Rakim, etc. They are all brilliant hip hop artists.
    Thirdly, who the f*ck is "we"? I'm not ashamed of Eminem, and I don't
    know anyone who is.

hip hop is as cheap as Tesco, just a stream. Half of the names you're given never cared about anything else than having some lad that fill up the tank of his truck while he's buying another golden necklace

Of course you're not ashamed of Eminem, as long as there's people like you he'll be earning money... he plays his role as an actor..

hip hop is as cheap as Tesco, just a stream. Half of the names you're given never cared about anything else than having some lad that fill up the tank of his truck while he's buying another golden necklace

Of course you're not ashamed of Eminem, as long as there's people like you he'll be earning money... he plays his role as an actor..

A perfect example of a sweeping generalisation from someone who has clearly never listened to hip hop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 mielzi

No one gets my music taste :/

I think Please Please me is the only Beatles album worth having.

Miley Cyrus is possibly the most talented young singer at the moment, but no one will look past Hannah Montana and just listen to her voice.

Trans has to be Neil Young's best album. By far.

S Club 7 were the best thing to happen to British pop music.

Irish trad music is as hardcore as it gets.

Nazareth are the best rock band there will ever be.

Bono is possibly one of the most humble rock stars in the world.

Bob Dylan and Eric Clapton charge way too much for their concert tickets, whilst they're very good, they're just a bit... dull...

The Riptide Movement are the best thing to come out of Ireland as of late.

Coldplay disgust me. Just ew.

The best song by the Who is Boris the Spider, whilst the rest is just a bit silly...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Mr. K wrote: »
    I don't like The Doors, at all. I read an article about Jim Morrisson's "tortured genius" recently - he was a self-indulgent mess of a human being.
    This.

The Doors were complete **** of the highest order. Their "fans" are pretentious arseholes. Every last one of them.

Although I'm certain Dave Grohl himself is a mad laugh altogether, I find anything he turns his hand to musically very, very boring.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Morning View by Incubus is one of the greatest albums ever made.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=72778271&postcount=162
    Foo Fighters - (enter album) All over-rated. No great lyrics, no lasting choruses, no great guitar riffs, no memorable solo's if any, bass is non-existent, drumming is suitable and at places out-standing to justify Taylor's status a fantastic drummer. Its just copy and paste rock.

Never fell into the hype trap myself as coming from Nirvana I was always gonna be interested in what Grohl has to to do but he got the hype of his own name and ego out their and has been carrying teh badn ever since. At least I gave em a bash, making up my own mind after buyng/downloading/2 live gigs and listening to all their releases year after year in the hope that they can conjure up some piece of rock drama, in the faint want of something extraordinary to be awed at to seem them create an album worthy of the greats but alas on reflection its just because I'm naive to think they would wanna try something different something special.

(In saying that Times Like These is fantastic song!)

Half of the names you're given never cared about anything else than having some lad that fill up the tank of his truck while he's buying another golden necklace

Yeah beacuse NAS didn't collaborate with Damien Marley on an album concerned about the troubles in Africa...Lupe Fiasco doesn't talk about political issues in his new song "Words I never Said"

There are rappers out there who fit the description - no doubt about it but don't just paint an entire industry with the one brush - it's ignorance of the highest order.

A perfect example of a sweeping generalisation from someone who has clearly never listened to hip hop.

a perfect example of something that seems to be like a finnish schoolgirl with a polynesian tatooed forehead

• Advertisement

PaulieC wrote: »
    Yeah beacuse NAS didn't collaborate with Damien Marley on an album concerned about the troubles in Africa...Lupe Fiasco doesn't talk about political issues in his new song "Words I never Said"

There are rappers out there who fit the description - no doubt about it but don't just paint an entire industry with the one brush - it's ignorance of the highest order.

Lupe Fiasco... yes mr. CEO is only concerned about his own business

somebody that has been recording with big record labels from the start is corrupted by the money right from the start, like our friend Nasir... the album with Damien Marley was just another business

Advertisement