Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your unpopular music opinions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

smokedeels wrote: »
    My unpopular opinion if that David Bowie is rubbish and overrated.

Ah stop, the man's body of work is too large and varied to be dismissed in one sentence.

I won't say David Bowie is overrated because I haven't heard enough of his back catalogue to make that statement but I really don't get all the fuss about Space Oddity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭Duke Leonal Felmet

Part II:

I dont get why people say Bob Dylan is a genius. So boring, even at his best.

I like to be happy, hence I like The Beatles.

Nirvana are so, so bad. Put them on my iPod recently and was shocked how poorly Nevermind sounded.

Libertines were ****.

Slayer > Metallica

I do not care for The Clash

While loveable, Stevie Wonder only wrote a handful of great songs. Not the genius he is made out to be.

Most 80s music is ****, even the supposed classics, and no amount of revivals will change that fact.

There are no good Irish bands. None.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

I dont get why people say Bob Dylan is a genius. So boring, even at his best.

He can't sing but he's a magnificent musician in terms of writing songs and playing. Just one of the legends who could experiment in autotune.
    Slayer > Metallica

Disagree Metallica are one of the best bands who ever lived.
    Most 80s music is ****, even the supposed classics, and no amount of revivals will change that.

I agree in part with that. Madonna is woeful, most overrated singer in history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

karaokeman wrote: »
    He can't sing but he's a magnificent musician in terms of writing songs and playing. Just one of the legends who could experiment in autotune.

Seriously, that is the funniest thing I have ever read in a post here. That has made my Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Seriously, that is the funniest thing I have ever read in a post here. That has made my Friday.

Yet... I really want to hear Dylan with autotune now.

• Advertisement

smokedeels wrote: »
    Yet... I really want to hear Dylan with autotune now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

I don't dig it, it's like they shaved the hair off his balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

That, and he sounds like Cher. Not cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 DDDDDeannnnn

James Blake is a god,the greatest thing to happen to music since the Strokes..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 DDDDDeannnnn

Libertines were ****.

I do not care for The Clash

There are no good Irish bands. None.

The Libertines are one of the best british bands ever,not too many bands can compete with them in terms of pound for pound quality over there two albums..

The Clash are in my opinion the best band of all time,Jones and Strummer are gods..

I don't think you need to say anything else other than 'My Bloody Valentine' in response to no good Irish bands..

• Advertisement

The Libertines are one of the best british bands ever,not too many bands can compete with them in terms of pound for pound quality over there two albums..

The Clash are in my opinion the best band of all time,Jones and Strummer are gods..

I don't think you need to say anything else other than 'My Bloody Valentine' in response to no good Irish bands..

I obviously disagree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Most 80s music is ****, even the supposed classics, and no amount of revivals will change that fact.
    Most 80's music is far from shit. 80's chart music and mainstream rock might be, just like any other decade, but you also have bands like Sonic Youth, Dinosaur Jr, Pixies, Black Flag, The Replacements, The Jesus and Mary Chain, Husker Du, Swans, The Smiths, The Blue Nile and tons more. Also hip-hop wasn't saturised into the tripe we have today and rave culture was fresh and wasn't associated with scumbags. There was tons of great music in the 80's.
    James Blake is a god,the greatest thing to happen to music since the Strokes..
    Please stop reading NME.

Zero1986 wrote: »
    Most 80's music is far from shit. 80's chart music and mainstream rock might be, just like any other decade, but you also have bands like Sonic Youth, Dinosaur Jr, Pixies, Black Flag, The Replacements, The Jesus and Mary Chain, Husker Du, Swans, The Smiths, The Blue Nile and tons more. Also hip-hop wasn't saturised into the tripe we have today and rave culture was fresh and wasn't associated with scumbags. There was tons of great music in the 80s

I think blue is better than green, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

I think blue is better than green, etc.
    There's a difference between being subjective and being plain wrong.

There's a difference between being subjective and being plain wrong.

But musical taste is subjective. I could say all music is tripe and still be neither wrong nor right. It is the same as saying all colour is ugly.

Surely you know this. Just in case:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subjectivity

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

But musical taste is subjective.

Taste is subjective, however, musicianship and composition are learned skills, and there is plenty of objectivity to discuss on the merits of those skills.

For example, Steve Vai's 'Passion and Warfare' album (recorded in 1989 & 1990) is excellent in terms of musicianship and composition, however, aesthetically it may not appeal to many people.

So I think the point being made is that while you may not have heard any music produced in the '80s that appealed to your aesthetic preferences, it's unfair to call it ****. There's a bit of a semantic argument in there too, I guess.

Also, I'd point out that given how much music can be and has been produced in a decade, it's unlikely that you've heard "most 80s music".

Sinfonia wrote: »
    Taste is subjective, however, musicianship and composition are learned skills, and there is plenty of objectivity to discuss on the merits of those skills.

No, it's still subjective, sinfonia... I don't think you want to understand this, to be honest.

All art is subjective. It doesn't matter that Steve Vai hits his notes cleaner than Bob Dylan, or that Mariah Carey sings a lot clearer and has a higher range than Liam Gallagher. Because it is all based on the subjective assumption that playing cleaner notes is better, and that having a higher range is better.

Vai can play faster? Uses a wider range of scales? Who cares? It is all based on the subjective assumption that faster and wider is better.

So nothing you say about technical merit can avoid the subjective assumptions supporting it.

So just give up. Art is subjective, that is why it is beautiful.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I don't like Steve Vai.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

No, it's still subjective, sinfonia... I don't think you want to understand this, to be honest.

All art is subjective. It doesn't matter that Steve Vai hits his notes cleaner than Bob Dylan, or that Mariah Carey sings a lot clearer and has a higher range than Liam Gallagher. Because it is all based on the subjective assumption that playing cleaner notes is better, and that having a higher range is better.

Vai can play faster? Uses a wider range of scales? Who cares? It is all based on the subjective assumption that faster and wider is better.

So nothing you say about technical merit can avoid the subjective assumptions supporting it.

All experience (of art or otherwise) is subjective, as beings do not share a unified consciousness.

We may as well not discuss anything, ever.

An unbelievably weak argument to support a silly assertion.

• Advertisement

rave culture was fresh and wasn't associated with scumbags.

Hmmm, dance music is pretty diverse and I don't think you can tar it all with the one brush. There's a world of difference between the likes of Hardstyle and what what's coming out on labels like Hotflush, Punch and others.

Hardstyle

Not Hardstyle

Sinfonia wrote: »

All experience (of art or otherwise) is subjective, as beings do not share a unified consciousness.

We may as well not discuss anything, ever.

You are correct. It is fairly pointless, alright. But the only reason I brought the subject up was due to someone saying I was 'plain wrong' for not liking 80's music.

Given your statement above, I'm sure you can see my point now.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Davyhal

There is no such thing as a bad music genre... I may be a fan of Rock music and 60s music, but there are some great unadulterated pop songs out there...

I may love the Beatles and Nirvana and Metallica and Smashing Pumpkins, but I think Kelly Clarkson is brilliant at what she does.

The Who are not one of the greatest bands of all time, but some songs (such as Real Good Looking Boy) are amazing

Adele has a great voice, but all her songs are the same and the lyrics are muck.

U2's best song is 'Staring at the Sun'

Radiohead are over-rated.

There is no good Muse album, just one or two good songs per album max.

Dandy Warhols are one of the best American bands of the last 20 years.

Everyone loves power ballads (try not to sing along with REO Speedwagon's 'Keep On Loving You', it's impossible)

Paulo Nutini sounds like he has a speech impediment, and listening to him physically pains me.

Florence and the Machine have one good song (Kiss with a Fist)

Placebo had about 5-6 good songs.

Bob Dylan should have quit 30 years ago, it just makes me sad to see him these days.

There is nothing wrong with Greatest Hits albums.

You can only truly judge a band after you have seen them live.

Rory Gallagher is over-rated, as is Jimi Hendrix and Bob Marley

An unbelievably weak argument to support a silly assertion.

That is only a statement. I may as well retort with 'you are wrong'.

My argument is quite solid. There cannot be objectivity in art, I'm afraid your lack of knowledge is leading to your incredulity. I can suggest some philosophy books, if you are interested in learning about this topic.

But I have a funny feeling you will decline and resort to your meaningless one-line statements.

That is only a statement. I may as well retort with 'you are wrong'.

My argument is quite solid. There cannot be objectivity in art, I'm afraid your lack of knowledge is leading to your incredulity. I can suggest some philosophy books, if you are interested in learning about this topic.

But I have a funny feeling you will decline and resort to your meaningless one-line statements.

But you make a slew of statements, some I might agree with and some I don't, all without a hint of ambiguity to them. Then when somebody disagrees with what you say and gives a reasoned counter argument, you don't try to defend what you say, you just start wittering on about subjectivity in art. Now, everybody here is able to understand that art is subjective but that doesn't mean that all opinion and debate is useless. The whole point of art is to provoke a response and is something that should create healthy argument and discussion.

And don't you dare suggest that I or anyone else here is lacking in intelligence just because you are incapable of backing up the assertions you made earlier in the thread. That smacks of someone using arrogance to hide either an inferiority complex or a small penis. Take your pick there…

I'm very bored, so...
    Davyhal wrote: »
    There is no such thing as a bad music genre... I may be a fan of Rock music and 60s music, but there are some great unadulterated pop songs out there...

Hit me babay one more time. I agree.
    I may love the Beatles and Nirvana and Metallica and Smashing Pumpkins, but I think Kelly Clarkson is brilliant at what she does.

Yeah, she sings well.
    The Who are not one of the greatest bands of all time, but some songs (such as Real Good Looking Boy) are amazing

The Who are godawful.
    Adele has a great voice, but all her songs are the same and the lyrics are muck.

Surprisingly, I have yet to hear her.
    U2's best song is 'Staring at the Sun'

Great song. Great lyrics.
    Radiohead are over-rated.

Five great albums and three dodgy. Not a bad return, imo.
    There is no good Muse album, just one or two good songs per album max.

Completely agree.
    Dandy Warhols are one of the best American bands of the last 20 years.

Hmm, must look into them. Any suggestions on where to start?
    Everyone loves power ballads (try not to sing along with REO Speedwagon's 'Keep On Loving You', it's impossible)

I guess.
    Paulo Nutini sounds like he has a speech impediment, and listening to him physically pains me.

I don't listen to the radio, so these people don't reach my eardrum.
    Florence and the Machine have one good song (Kiss with a Fist)

Again, don't know em.
    Placebo had about 5-6 good songs.

They have 6 songs?
    Bob Dylan should have quit 30 years ago, it just makes me sad to see him these days.

Never liked him.
    There is nothing wrong with Greatest Hits albums.

I disagree.
    You can only truly judge a band after you have seen them live.

I disagree.
    Rory Gallagher is over-rated, as is Jimi Hendrix and Bob Marley

Bob Marley is good because he married Reggae and Blues-based music. That takes genius.

But you make a slew of statements, some I might agree with and some I don't, all without a hint of ambiguity to them. Then when somebody disagrees with what you say and gives a reasoned counter argument, you don't try to defend what you say, you just start wittering on about subjectivity in art. Now, everybody here is able to understand that art is subjective but that doesn't mean that all opinion and debate is useless. The whole point of art is to provoke a response and is something that should create healthy argument and discussion.

And don't you dare suggest that I or anyone else here is lacking in intelligence just because you are incapable of backing up the assertions you made earlier in the thread. That smacks of someone using arrogance to hide either an inferiority complex or a small penis. Take your pick there…

Reported. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,937 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Christ... and this thread was going so well!

Take petty arguments & childish insults to PM please.

Let this be the end of it on thread!

Reported. :)

Ah, I get it now. The whole point of questioning my intelligence was to provoke a reaction. So basically you're just trolling. Clap, clap…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,937 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Infraction for Android 666 for ignoring my warning

Advertisement