Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your unpopular music opinions

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭Duke Leonal Felmet

Ok, back on track.

I don't like Kings of Leon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

Nu-metal is not a terrible genre of music, in fact, when it's done right it can be sublime ( Slipknot, early Korn, Deftones). Granted, when it's crap, it's really crap, but generally I think it's under-rated.

Limp Bizkit have wrote some catchy tunes that are fun to dance to. They're not comepletely awful.

Katy Perry writes good pop music and is better than Lady Gaga, with less of the pretension/gimmicks.

Ac/Dc have been doing the same song for 20 years and I've no idea how they're so popular. Ditto Iron Maiden. Actually a lot of classic metal/rock is fairly lacklustre imo, bar a few songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭SChique00

Part II:

I dont get why people say Bob Dylan is a genius. So boring, even at his best.

I like to be happy, hence I like The Beatles.

Nirvana are so, so bad. Put them on my iPod recently and was shocked how poorly Nevermind sounded.

I do not care for The Clash

While loveable, Stevie Wonder only wrote a handful of great songs. Not the genius he is made out to be.

Most 80s music is ****, even the supposed classics, and no amount of revivals will change that fact.

There are no good Irish bands. None.

I agree, Leonard Cohen trumps Bob every time, I could listen to the former all day. While a poetic writer and a visionary, he is no great shakes when it comes to performing or singing. Bruce Springsteen started out in much the same way - if you care to listen to "Greetings From..." all of those songs are ever so slightly disjointed - each component is great by itself, but the lyrics feel much more like poetry. I think the Boss only really moved into songwriting territory on Born To Run, and as for Born In The USA, well - I just feel he sold himself short on that one. :pac:

Beatles for the FOOKIN' win man - the remasters are magnificent :D

I don't know what the hype is about surrounding Nirvana, Cobain, and indeed all artists who die young. I don't think that people's pity regarding tragedy or youth should become a substitute for proper appraisal of genuine talent. We can already see it happening with Amy Winehouse - although the girl had talent, she wasted it. Everyone knew her from emerging half-naked and pissed from clubs while she was alive, but now she receives only the highest of praise for her misunderstood, haunting voice (which I once saw described as "croaky"). :rolleyes:

The Clash - fair enough, I will always love punk, but it clearly isn't for everyone. :)

Stevie is adorable! But Marvin is the man :cool:

80s music is terrible? YOU. GO. DIE. NOW. :eek::mad::( Nah just kidding, but seriously? I mean, it was probably the most diverse era for music of the modern world. Surely there was one genre you could stand - New Romanticism, New Wave, Hair bands, American Rock, Alternative, Cheese, Metal, (dare I say it) the writings of StockAikenWaterman? "Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you downnnn...." :p

My biggest unpopular music opinion: I love 80s music!

You really think so? Not even The Cranberries? Or The Script (I'm going to face a barrage of hatred now)? I'm sorry to say though - British music will always have the edge :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

James Blake is a god,the greatest thing to happen to music since the Strokes..

babby.jpg?1270160188

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭viadah

I got slated years ago for pointing out Per Gessle from Roxette's influence on European melodic metal. But it's ****ing there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

80's guitar music is awesome.

Except the like of Yes, Rush and Genesis who were ruined by the 80's. Great in the 70's though!

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭VenomousFish

Part II:

I dont get why people say Bob Dylan is a genius. So boring, even at his best.

I like to be happy, hence I like The Beatles.

Nirvana are so, so bad. Put them on my iPod recently and was shocked how poorly Nevermind sounded.

Libertines were ****.

Slayer > Metallica

I do not care for The Clash

While loveable, Stevie Wonder only wrote a handful of great songs. Not the genius he is made out to be.

Most 80s music is ****, even the supposed classics, and no amount of revivals will change that fact.

There are no good Irish bands. None.

You actually had me staring at my monitor in disbelief. Nevermind is the album that got me interested in music. Hard rock, but with pop-influenced hooks, it still sounds as great as it ever did. I have my 20th Anniversary 4LP Deluxe reissue ordered, and as soon as they get it in, I'll be more than happy to throw my hard-earned cash at the dope behind the counter.

I do, however, agree on the whole Slayer > Metallica thing. Slayer are the only metal band I listen to, they just have an irresistible energy, unlke Metallica. You wouldn't catch Slayer writing a ballad!

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭viadah

And you wouldn't catch any member of Slayer knocking pop-punk bands and clothing lines then appearing in Sum 41 videos or endorsing their own brand of shoes.

Slayer are such a sacred cow. Cradle of Filth's version of 'Hell Awaits' stomps all over the original. And Roxette are ****en ACE times better than Slayer.

Thread title made me do it. While I'm on the subject Billy Bragg is a legend. Pre 'Blokes' era obviously, but that's not an opinion, that's just a fact.

You actually had me staring at my monitor in disbelief.

That probably had more to do with your age at the time, than the album itself.

I had it on my iPod next to the stuff I listen to today and I often shuffle as I walk. I was stunned how badly Nevermind sounded versus the rest of my collection. It hasn't aged well, very much 'of it's time' as opposed to, say, 'Pet Sounds', which still sounds fresh today.

Anyway, that's where my above point stemmed from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

I have a love of outsider music which I wrestle with. The likes of Daniel Johnston and Syd Barret and others who seem to have no emotional barriers and possess a childlike use of language. I love the sincerity and directness that are part of these artists but I wonder sometimes am I just rubbernecking? Have they been manipulated by the music industry and by buying their albums am I approving of that manipulation? Am I letting their back stories inform too much of my appreciation of the music rather than letting it speak for itself? Most of these artists have outputs of varying quality so when it's bad it can be awful be when it's good it's beautiful.

And then there's stuff like the Shaggs which were in fact terrible but the back story is so fascinating that you start developing an appreciation of them and bopping along to 'Philosophy of the World'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Shaggs

And then there's the Residents. They don't fit into Outsider art in the same way the others on here would but there music is definitely out there. They would be considered an avant garde group and they've lead the ways in experimenting with tape loops and samplers and with the album Eskimo they played with the notion of ethnography in music, creating their own instruments to be played on the album

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

lordgoat wrote: »
    I think cover bands are pointless, why spend so much time tracing someone else?

you cant really compare a cover band to an original band though! I play in a cover band for the cash, my own original songs are very different to the cover bands set!

Metallica's best album is the Black Album
    I think wonderwall is sh1t
    all american "pop punk" bands of the last 5 years all look and sound the exact same
    I find speed metal bands like "dragon force" hilarious

Rory Gallagher was a lot better than hendrix, both guitar playing and song writing. (for the record, I love both)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

YodaBoy wrote: »
    Beady Eye is Oasis

They are basically the EXACT same band.

I can't understand it when Liam goes on about how they are not Oasis and how the fans go along with all that c**p. Liam has spoke nothing but s**** since the early days back in the 90s, he's just a born liar and always will be.

If you have seen Beady Eye live, you are qualified to say yes if anyone asks you if you have ever seen Oasis live. If Guns 'N' Roses are still GNR then there's no proof that Beady Eye and Oasis are two separate acts.

Liam is the frontman and founder of Oasis. If he was the one who left to start up his own band and Noel fronted Gem Archer, Andy Bell and Chris Sharrock, they would be a separate band.

Axel Rose is still the frontman and founder of his band and that's why they are still called Guns 'N' Roses, its the same with Beady Eye and as long as they are fronted by Liam they are still Oasis.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Oasis are simply not as good of a band without Noel. I don't care what anyone says. It's offensive to the creator of the heavens and the earth (and Definitely Maybe and (What's the Story) Morning Glory?) to claim anything otherwise.

karaokeman wrote: »

I can't understand it when Liam goes on about how they are not Oasis and how the fans go along with all that c**p. Liam has spoke nothing but s**** since the early days back in the 90s, he's just a born liar and always will be.

If you have seen Beady Eye live, you are qualified to say yes if anyone asks you if you have ever seen Oasis live. If Guns 'N' Roses are still GNR then there's no proof that Beady Eye and Oasis are two separate acts.

Liam is the frontman and founder of Oasis. If he was the one who left to start up his own band and Noel fronted Gem Archer, Andy Bell and Chris Sharrock, they would be a separate band.

Axel Rose is still the frontman and founder of his band and that's why they are still called Guns 'N' Roses, its the same with Beady Eye and as long as they are fronted by Liam they are still Oasis.

New Order? Sure that's just Joy Division.

Steven Patrick Morrissey? Sure he's just The Smiths.

PiL? Sure it's just The Sex Pistols.

What a load of babble you write. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭ciaranmac

They are still called GnR because Axl owns the name so only he has the right to call a band Guns N' Roses. It doesn't make them "the same band" any more than Fleetwood Mac were the same band in the Peter Green era and Buckingham/Nicks era. They just have the same name and some overlap of personnel. As well as being legal property that sometimes belongs to one person and sometimes to all the members, band names can be deeply personal things to them. So there isn't any rule of when to keep a name and when not to. Sometimes they drop the name or break up the band altogether when a member dies or leaves (Led Zep) and sometimes they don't (The Who).

I don't know the ins and outs of Oasis breaking up but it could possibly be that the brothers jointly own the name and neither of them would let the other use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

New Order? Sure that's just Joy Division.

Steven Patrick Morrissey? Sure he's just The Smiths.

PiL? Sure it's just The Sex Pistols.

What a load of babble you write. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

The difference of course is the Oasis were a one trick pony, one songwriter one song
    Joy Division had a different lyricist than New Order & without Ian Curtis influence the sound changed dramatically.
    The Smiths had Marr & Morrissey, SPM was never the same on his own.
    PiL are actually very similar to the Sex Pistols although I think Glen Matlock wrote most of the music Lydon was certainly a big contributor.

A better example might have been the Jam & the Style Council?

endabob1 wrote: »
    The difference of course is the Oasis were a one trick pony, one songwriter one song
    Joy Division had a different lyricist than New Order & without Ian Curtis influence the sound changed dramatically.
    The Smiths had Marr & Morrissey, SPM was never the same on his own.
    PiL are actually very similar to the Sex Pistols although I think Glen Matlock wrote most of the music Lydon was certainly a big contributor.

A better example might have been the Jam & the Style Council?

So Beady Eye are definitely not Oasis then...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Resi12

Acacia wrote: »
    Katy Perry writes good pop music and is better than Lady Gaga, with less of the pretension/gimmicks.

Katy Perry doesn't write her songs, sh!t.. she can barely sing them! While the pretentious attitude that is a given with Gaga and her music can be extremely grating to the point of not even watching her videos, she definitely can write a good song.

Her hits will be a lot more relevant in years (even now e.g. Bad Romance > California Gurls) to come than Katy's throwaway cash-in on the popular sound hits.

So Beady Eye are definitely not Oasis then...

Correct, although they're still rubbish, they're not Oasis apart form having the same singer bloke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

endabob1 wrote: »
    they're not Oasis apart form having the same singer bloke

and same drummer, bassist and rhythm guitar :P

• Advertisement

Another point, which hasn't been mentioned yet I named Jimmy MacCarthy in another thread here.

Jimmy is and for many people who know of his work they agree that he is one of the best/likely the best songwriter Ireland has ever produced.

I am of the unpopular opinion that he is one of the best songwriters internationally. I've yet to hear an American/other European/Australian or elsewhere songwriter who writes better songs.

He is also a great instrumentalist, as he can play various instruments including many different guitars. Saw him at the National Concert Hall in 09 and anyone at one of his gigs would know what I mean.

and same drummer, bassist and rhythm guitar :P

Not from the original band :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭Jason Fly

Acacia wrote: »
    Nu-metal is not a terrible genre of music, in fact, when it's done right it can be sublime ( Slipknot, early Korn, Deftones). Granted, when it's crap, it's really crap, but generally I think it's under-rated.

Limp Bizkit have wrote some catchy tunes that are fun to dance to. They're not comepletely awful.

Ac/Dc have been doing the same song for 20 years and I've no idea how they're so popular. Ditto Iron Maiden. Actually a lot of classic metal/rock is fairly lacklustre imo, bar a few songs.

Agree on Limp Bizkit, you can get to enjoy listening them.

Also agree in the fact that ac/dc are not very original...

does katy perry write her own songs?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Hex Enduction Hour is the greatest album of all time :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭Jason Fly

I don't like Biffy Clyro... they are really boring

smokedeels wrote: »
    Hex Enduction Hour is the greatest album of all time :D

Absolutely epic and the motown story attached to it is a classic as well.

X-Factor/Westlife style pop music, isn't music. It's only there to prey on the weak minded who will vote for it or buy it because 2fm told them to.

I think X Factor would be better if it was less controlled. I don't like the way that the winner's song is already chosen for the last two contestants.

It would be better if each of the finalists were allowed to compose their own song and perform it first time for the final. The idea that your debut single is chosen for you is just stupid.

Westlife have only really been relevant in that they influenced Coldplay.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭droicead

jim :the king; brown doing whole lotta rosie just like the king would have done it....what a tune

Westlife have only really been relevant in that they influenced Coldplay.

What are you smoking?!?!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

What are you smoking?!?!

He/She's very amusing though.

Advertisement