Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your unpopular music opinions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

karaokeman wrote: »
    Westlife have only really been relevant in that they influenced Coldplay.
    What are you smoking?!?!

Coldplay are one of the most famous bands of the past 10 years.

They have been one of the few British bands to make it huge in America, unlike Oasis who have only had mainstream US hits with Wonderwall and Champagne Supernova.

I'm only giving Westlife the credit for having an influence on them, it doesn't mean I think Westlife are good or anything like that.

Some of you here need to stop misinterpreting my posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

Coldplay are one of the most famous bands of the past 10 years.

They have been one of the few British bands to make it huge in America, unlike Oasis who have only had mainstream US hits with Wonderwall and Champagne Supernova.

I'm only giving Westlife the credit for having an influence on them, it doesn't mean I think Westlife are good or anything like that.

Some of you here need to stop misinterpreting my posts.

I think you need to stop taking the crazy pills.

I think you need to stop taking the crazy pills.

Because you don't like Coldplay?

That's not my fault.

Because you don't like Coldplay?

That's not my fault.

Ha ha, I actually googled it and you're right.

http://www.gigwise.com/news/43509/chris-martin-coldplay-are-trying-to-blend-radiohead-and-westlife

Jesus, and I didn't think I could have any more contempt for Chris Martin.

But it is your fault. Nobody else is making you like them. Just like its my fault I like any of the music I like.

But it is your fault. Nobody else is making you like them. Just like its my fault I like any of the music I like.

You're missing my point, its obviously my fault that I'm a Coldplay fan.

Its not my fault YOU don't like Coldplay.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

I remember that Chris Martin westlife comment at the time and honestly thought he was taking the p1ss.

You're missing my point, its obviously my fault that I'm a Coldplay fan.

Its not my fault YOU don't like Coldplay.

You're entirely right that isn't your fault. I was just a bit incredulous that you thought Westlife were an influence on Coldplay - I didn't think that could be true at all. But I suppose it makes sense when you listen to any of the muck they've produced after a Rush of Blood…

Apologies, I'll research whatever utterances Chris Martin makes in the future before replying…

Resi12 wrote: »
    Katy Perry doesn't write her songs, sh!t.. she can barely sing them!

Katy hardly writes her own stuff.

She has like 5 co-writers on most of the stuff she's records, Firework, Teenage Dream, California Gurls to name but a few.

I mean what exactly is defined as a "co-written" song? How much of the song can one person (Katy Perry) write on their own with so many others like Max Martin also being involved.

I prefer to write songs on my own, if anything I will have one partner but nothing more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Resi12 wrote: »
    Katy Perry doesn't write her songs, sh!t.. she can barely sing them! While the pretentious attitude that is a given with Gaga and her music can be extremely grating to the point of not even watching her videos, she definitely can write a good song.

Her hits will be a lot more relevant in years (even now e.g. Bad Romance > California Gurls) to come than Katy's throwaway cash-in on the popular sound hits.

I don't like Katy Perry and would never even think of calling her an 'artist'. Gaga is certainly pretentious and she's quite annoying, but the woman can sing live, write her own material and play instruments. Say what you want about her image, but she's a genuine musician. I hate hearing her speak, and I don't like the fact that someone like her, who actually has talent, feels the need to augment her talent by acting like an eejit onstage. I cringe for her sometimes.

Credit where credit's due though. And I'll also give Katy Perry some credit. Her E.T song is a good pop tune, and despite the fact that she more than likely didn't write it (I don't know for sure, open to correction), that song is as good as anything Lady Gaga has written, and better than the most of the MIA rip-off rubbish Rihanna has been churning out recently. Sure, Katy Perry is a mere product and not nearly as talented as Gaga, but she sings that song pretty well and whoever wrote it deserves credit. It's a great tune, in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

radiohead have been making the same album since kid a

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

ricero wrote: »
    radiohead have been making the same album since kid a
    Listen to Hail To The Thief and then listen to Kid A. Certainly not the same album.

Wow I am actually amazed at how long this thread has lasted. I mean 35 pages:eek: of mostly hogwash opinions none the less.

After going through the first 20 pages (I was too tired to read the last 15) I have searched out the most diabolic opinions expressed in this thread.

[FONT=times new roman, new york, times, serif]
    Melion wrote: »
    U2 make me sad.
    Adyx wrote: »
    *Green Day have one brilliant album followed by two mediocre albums followed by shít. I don't know much from the two albums preceding Dookie.
    guitarzero wrote: »
    I think Muse are rubbish.
    guitarzero wrote: »
    I think Indie bands should be all lined up infront of firing squads.
    Dub Ste wrote: »
    Coldplay,don't understand how these bunch of whingy whining students are so popular,if they were playing in my back yard,i'd release the hounds
    I hate the fcuking Eagles, man
    Geo10 wrote: »
    I think "Baby One More Time" is the catchiest, most epic, genius song of all time.
    I feel Britney Spears is the only artist worth listening to. I listen to her music 24/7.... never any other artist.
    KoL suck.
    retalivity wrote: »
    rem - go die in a fire
    scary wrote: »
    AC/DC are rubbish
    Thin Lizzy even more so
    Blur were better than Oasis.
    John Lennons solo work is pretty dire bar a few.
    francois wrote: »
    Beady Eye are sh1te
    trashcan wrote: »
    Micahel Jackson was not a great entertainer.
    weemcd wrote: »
    Elvis is not that great, and Johnny Cash is infinitely better
    Rory Gallagher wasn't very good at all
    Journeys "Dont Stop Believing" is a pile of ****e
    Metallica are one of the most over rated bands ever.
    con1982 wrote: »
    I can't stand the Chilli Peppers! I will switch station or leave a shop if they come on
    I think Blink-182 are talented musicians.
    Rebecca Black is the greatest female vocalist of all time
    hacked wrote: »
    RHCP are a load of ass. It's impossible to sit and listen to an album by them because 99% of it is rubbish.
    Nolanger wrote: »
    Most Irish rock bands are sh*t because they're too middle class!
    EarlERizer wrote: »
    I think Will Young has an amazing voice.
    [/FONT]

Wow I am actually amazed at how long this thread has lasted. I mean 35 pages:eek: of mostly hogwash opinions none the less.

After going through the first 20 pages (I was too tired to read the last 15) I have searched out the most diabolic opinions expressed in this thread.

Funnily enough, I'd agree with about 80% of those statements. Nothing really diablolical there.

Beady Eye are sh¡t and Blur were better than Oasis.

Britney Spears is sh¡t though and Rebecca Black is just not funny anymore…

I liked REM though…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I'm hoping a few of those were just people joking.

Beady Eye are sh¡t and Blur were better than Oasis.

I will admit that Beady Eye are s*** live, they were terrible at Oxegen just standing there playing with no crowd interaction. Otherwise I was very impressed with their album, Liam's voice has definitely improved with age and he's not all that bad a songwriter. Certainly not as talented as his brother but he does deserve a little more credit than he's given for being a lyricist.
    Britney Spears is sh¡t though and Rebecca Black is just not funny anymore…

Agreed Britney is utterly dire. I've never seen her live but I never will as I know a girl who went to her O2 show in 2009 and felt ripped off because she refused to sing. I mean she's paid to do it, so how can anyone get away with miming and disappointing 15,000 fans in one night? Rebecca Black was never good at all.
    I liked REM though…

I love R.E.M, one of the bands I am crying out for an Irish gig in the near future. Their new stuff is also not so bad.

Certainly not as talented as his brother but he does deserve a little more credit than he's given for being a lyricist.

No he doesn't:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/celebs/news/2011/01/24/liam-gallagher-admits-he-has-no-idea-what-his-own-lyrics-mean-115875-22873521/

The guy is the ultimate knobjockey…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭SChique00

Malice wrote: »
    I'm hoping a few of those were just people joking.
    I certainly wasn't :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭blahfckingblah

miley cyrus isn't bad shes just a misunderstood :D

I never got into tool for some reason, might give them another spin now actually.

miley cyrus isn't bad shes just a misunderstood :D

I never got into tool for some reason, might give them another spin now actually.

Sure she's not a terrible singer. I pointed that out earlier, certainly better than say Britney, Ke$ha, Nicole Scherzinger, Madonna, Will i am, Chris Brown and any other of the pop stars who use autotune we can name.

But I don't like any of the stuff she did for Hannah Montanah, too old for that kind of stuff. Same goes for Justin Bieber.

Another statement, which must be a joke.....
    Jason Fly wrote: »
    Beyonce is an awful singer

While I may not listen to Beyonce on a daily basis, even I admit she is quite a good singer. Hell even my mum agrees and usually she is the first one to tell the good vocalists from the bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Deep Purple are twice the band Led Zep are,

actually better make that:

Deep Purple were twice the band Led Zep were

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Deep Purple are twice the band Led Zep are,

actually better make that:

Deep Purple were twice the band Led Zep were
    They still stole as much as Led Zeppelin. The 'Smoke On The Water' riff? The so-called greatest riff ever? They ripped that off The Stooges:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

And you read The Mirror.

Actually I don't, I just googled Liam Gallagher and lyrics and this was one of several pages giving the same article. I could have linked to an Oasis fan site but it would have made me feel dirty…

Actually I don't, I just googled Liam Gallagher and lyrics and this was one of several pages giving the same article. I could have linked to an Oasis fan site but it would have made me feel dirty…

You've used The Mirror as a point of reference and you still feel clean? I thought Radiohead fans, post-OK Computer, were supposed to be the intellectual music fans within the 18-30 age demographic?!

You've used The Mirror as a point of reference and you still feel clean? I thought Radiohead fans, post-OK Computer, were supposed to be the intellectual music fans within the 18-30 age demographic?!

Strangely cleaner than if I linked to the other site. Sadly I'm no longer in that age demographic but here's another titbit of info for you, though I have said I like some of Radiohead's music in the past I don't define myself and what music I like on the basis of one band.

Strangely cleaner than if I linked to the other site. Sadly I'm no longer in that age demographic but here's another titbit of info for you, though I have said I like some of Radiohead's music in the past I don't define myself and what music I like on the basis of one band.

Nor do I. I also don't use rags as points of reference, but I suppose we can agree to disagree in that regard.

Nor do I.

Okay Oasis_Dublin…

Okay Oasis_Dublin…

Let's not get Paranoid, Android.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

do all radiohead fans these days hate all pre - kid a albums such as pablo honey, the bends and ok computer ?

• Advertisement

Anything that is guitar driven, is boorish, Britpop drivel, according to that lot!

Advertisement