Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your unpopular music opinions

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

Freddie Mercury was Queen. The songs that May wrote were mainly shite

I can't agree with you here but you're entitled to your opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭thenakedanddead

I harbour a respect for Lady Gaga and consider her to be a 'serious artist'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭TommyTippee

I think Pink Floyd are rubbish and that Shed Seven had some good tunes.

:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭AhSureTisGrand

People who complain that "music sucks nowadays" are automatically wrong.

On a similar vein, in 20 years the top rated comment on YouTube (or whatever) for Use Somebody will be, "Man I wish they played music like this on the radio".

Placebo have some good songs but also have terrible lyrics and an irritating cnut for a singer

The only people who love The Smiths are angsty teenagers from the 80s.

The Soft Bulletin by The Flaming Lips is the single most annoying album ever.

Kanye West is something of a genius

Foo Fighters have one and a half good songs per album them the rest is ****e. Same with Red Hot Chili Peppers.

Van Halen are a sackful of guitar ****

Modest Mouse are a poor man's Pixies

Led Zeppelin have one good song the rest are average

Bright Eyes needs to feckin' cheer up

Foals are not good

Jimi Hendrix is boring

Manic Street Preachers have one good song

Dave Grohl — why do people worship him?

Adele's music would be more enjoyable if she were better looking

Everyone secretly loves ABBA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

Hmmm who wants to set up a confession box thread :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

*Nirvana's best album was Bleach followed by Incesticide.
    *Radiohead went shít after The Bends.
    *Tool are over-rated by some, but they are a fantastic band.
    *Dream Theatre ARE over-rated.
    *Green Day have one brilliant album followed by two mediocre albums followed by shít. I don't know much from the two albums preceding Dookie.
    *I think some people completely miss the point on the existence of cover bands.

*ooh a big one.... the original NIN version of Hurt is a thousand times better than Johnny Cash's version. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

People who complain that "music sucks nowadays" are automatically wrong.

On a similar vein, the top rated comment on YouTube (or whatever) for use somebody will be, "Man I wish they played music like this on the radio".

Definitely. Typical Youtube comment.
    Led Zeppelin have one good song the rest are average

Which one out of interest?

Eh no. If I even liked one of their songs, I'd admit it, but I cannot stand anything they've done. Closest I've come is Ash's cover of Does your mother know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

I think Qotsa should go down as one of the best rock bands in history.

I think Radiohead are a load a shít.

I think Muse are rubbish.

Roxy Music's 1st 2 albums are amazing.

I think Indie bands should be all lined up infront of firing squads.

Bowie and the Beattles are over rated.

Bob Dylan, yeah right.

U2 should have called it a day over 10 years ago.

I'm a really good guitarist.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Dub Ste

Here's mine................................puts on tin hat and takes cover !!!

Nirvana..One good-ish album,overall pretty ****e..

Sex Pistols....do me a favour..

Beatles...some good stuff,but other stuff...meh

Coldplay,don't understand how these bunch of whingy whining students are so popular,if they were playing in my back yard,i'd release the hounds

Blur..mockney w*ankers

Muse :confused::confused::confused:

Beach Boys...sh*te boys more like...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

*insert popular band here* are sh!t/overrated

There, we can close the thread now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Avant Garde, Progressive Jazz, Avant Garde Metal, IDM, Ambient and Minimalist contemporary classical is the future of music, they'll have their day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Nailz wrote: »
    Avant Garde, Progressive Jazz, Avant Garde Metal, IDM, Ambient and Minimalist contemporary classical is the future of music, they'll have their day!
    IDM and ambient seem to be more popular right now than they've ever been, even with the onslaught of dubstep. I think avant-garde metal and progressive jazz will always be destined for the underground due to their inaccessable nature, but their influence might creep over into the mainstream.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭dasdog

Nailz wrote: »

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭WakeUp

For what its worth this is my “unpopular” opinion.:) I think music in the main nowadays and for many a year, without getting into specific bands/”artists”/genre, falls into two basic categories – "artificially" created noise (record label "creating" a sound) & creative. Main stream music meaning most of the current stuff you would hear on the radio is in my humble opinion 95% artificially created horse sh1te with repetitive beats/rhythm/licks and meaningless nonsensical annoying lyrics. There is always that small percentage of creative original meaningful music being made and today is no different in that respect to days gone by. I think music in general has suffered a severe decline in originality, meaning and complexity and some of stuff being hailed and celebrated nowadays as music and being good is so god damn awful it makes me wonder whether the decline in good music being made parallels a decline in something else. Nowadays the formula seems to be, unoriginal repetitive beat/lick/loop = silly annoying nonsensical lyrics = easy on the eye man/woman/band = “Good” tune. Sometimes I do despair. All that said each to their own whatever floats your boat is all good really people like what they like and that’s just how it is. The music world is suffering from a creative drain right now and has been for a while if you ask me, personally I don’t see it getting better anytime soon although I’d love to be proved wrong and hope that it does. I think part of the problem is the record labels looking for a quick sale and genuinely not being able to spot "talent" and demographics which you obviously can’t do anything about, but If you look at years and decades gone by and the music being created then to what we have nowadays and recently it really does make you wonder what is going on in the music industry.:):)

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭figarofigaro

Faith No More are the most talented and most original band in their field. Mike Patton is one of the most gifted vocalists I've ever heard and he also happens to be a creative mastermind. They've incorporated elements of many genres and it always sounded natural and never gratuitous. They are one of the very few bands that give me goosebumps when I hear them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭careca11

kanye west is pants
    jay z is the most over-rated Rapper of all time (1 great album , the rest are very average)
    i don't get the whole hype around nirvana or Radiohead (I liked the Bends album , but the rest are nothing special)
    oasis, blur, muse, killers , all way over-rated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I like James Blunts first album.

I prefer the studio version of Star Spangled Banner by Jimi Hendrix to the version he played at Woodstock.

I love Pink Floyd but I don't think Dark Side Of The Moon or The Wall are their best albums. I much prefer Music From The Film More or Obscured By Clouds.

I prefer Syd Barretts second album Barrett to The Madcap Laughs.

I love The Beatles. That seems to be 'uncool' nowadays.

I don't think Sergeant Peppers Lonely Hears Club Band is The Beatles best album (although I might have a different opinion if it had included Penny Lane and Strawberry Fields Forever). I'd choose to listen to I Want To Hold Your Hand over Being For The Benefit Of Mr Kite anyday.

I love Mull Of Kintyre by Paul McCartney.

I love The Carpenters version of Ticket To Ride.

I think Hank Snow was as good as Hank Williams.

I think Take That are talented. I don't like their music but they have good voices and Gary Barlow is a good songwriter who can actually play an instrument.

I don't think punk "had to happen".

I think Sid Vicious was a waste of space who could barely play an instrument.

I don't see any difference between Eminem and Vanilla Ice, except one swears more than the other.

I think rap sounds juvenile.

I think it was ridiculous for Chuck D to accuse Elvis of stealing black music when Public Enemy made music that was based on sampling other artists music.

P.S. What's with people quoting someone and telling them they're wrong? Isn't the point of this thread to post an unpopular opinion?

Having said that I think it's ridiculous when someone states a personal opinion as if it's a fact. When someone uses the term 'overrated' rather than saying "I don't like" when discussing music I disregard anything else they have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Faith No More are the most talented and most original band in their field. Mike Patton is one of the most gifted vocalists I've ever heard and he also happens to be a creative mastermind. They've incorporated elements of many genres and it always sounded natural and never gratuitous. They are one of the very few bands that give me goosebumps when I hear them.
    This is suposed to be unpopular opinions isn't it?

Music is just as genuine whether it is made on a laptop or on a guitar lovingly crafted out of toothpicks. Anyone who complains about computers being "fake" ought to be slapped

Adyx wrote: »
    Which one out of interest?
    Stairway to Heaven. Cue disagreement

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Stairway to Heaven. Cue disagreement
    Funnily enough, most Zeppelin fans (well from what I can tell anyway) wouldn't have that as their favourite song, mostly due to overplaying

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

New music is more interesting than old music. Particularly hip hop. Nostalgia does my head in we'd be better off with a lot less of it.

Funnily enough, most Zeppelin fans (well from what I can tell anyway) wouldn't have that as their favourite song, mostly due to overplaying

Not surprising. I imagine most Pulp fans don't hold Common People as their favourite for the same reason

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

The Risk album by Megadeth isn't that bad
    Thunderstruck by AC/DC is hugely overrated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

The only grime artist worth listening to is Wiley. The others are watered-down, commercial sh*te.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭figarofigaro

Malice wrote: »
    This is suposed to be unpopular opinions isn't it?

Well, I probably understated it. I'd actually go as far as to say that everybody should bloody well like them with no exceptions.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

I hate guitar Gods - Hendrix and Clapton

The Who are rubbish

Billy Corgan was better in every way than Kurt Cobain

Rap/Hip Hop is misongynistic/selfish/materialistic drival and has a terribly negative influence on young people

U2 are a great band

Green Day are bloody awful

There are as many good bands around today as there always has been HOWEVER there will never be another Dylan, Beatles, Zeppelin, Nirvana type phenomena

Pseudo-sex in pop videos (fake lesbian stuff, I'm looking at you Fergie, Rihanna, Katy Perry) demeans women and is all the worse because it seems women are the main proponents of it

There are no good black or women rock bands (I think Blondie are awful and are only regarded as good because they have a woman singer)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,338 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

I hate the fcuking Eagles, man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

lol there are some crazy opinions on this thread!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

I love The Beatles. That seems to be 'uncool' nowadays.

I beg to differ.

Most people I know love the Beatles and constantly argue that they created music.

In that sense its obviously the 'cool' thing to love the Beatles.

For me, I would rather go for Coldplay any day.

Advertisement