Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your unpopular music opinions

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭jacksprat

I'll give you unpopular! MUSIC IS ****E

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

This is now becoming a popular opinion. You three should definitely look at starting an anti-music society.
    jacksprat wrote: »
    I'll give you unpopular! MUSIC IS ****E
    music is shįt and the ppl who listen to it hav no life's. books FTW
    Kold wrote: »
    Music is sh1t and only idiots still listen to it.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

the three you have listed are probably referring to the current stuff thats out there and you can add me to the list too.Present day music is ****E.

paddyandy wrote: »
    the three you have listed are probably referring to the current stuff thats out there and you can add me to the list too.Present day music is ****E.

Well no arguments there.

Just make sure The Wanted are in that list of "s***e present bands" because they are absolutely dire.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

f0ggy92 wrote: »
    i think led zeppelin are ****e does that make me a bad person?
    Yes.

My own unpopular music opinion is that we need more bands like them who are both musically talented and full of swagger. More hotel wreaking, drug using, occult flirting, Tolkien inspired, shark related high jinks please.

Seems to me that most people are content with one dimensional bands who just stand there strumming away like The Archies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

karaokeman wrote: »
    You really don't know what you're missing.

Beady Eye are more than just set up by one of the Oasis brothers (Liam). They are actually all of Oasis except for Noel, but Noel's new band could be defined by that phrase I underlined.

I'll tell you this much Beady Eye are a lot more Beatley than old Oasis. There are also some more upbeat tunes that may help them to eventually sell stadiums like Four Letter Word.

Bit there for everyone but they're quite good.

You couldn't make them any less appealling, sorry :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

When people make comments like this it really makes me wonder. If your impression of modern music is based on what you hear on the radio you really need to look more. Honestly what modern music have you heard? With the internet at your fingertips you should have absolutely no problem finding modern music you really enjoy and no matter what kind of music you're into there is something there for everyone. With all the countless music blogs, sites like Last.fm, Rate Your Music, Youtube and various music-related websites featuring tons of reviews you should really have no excuse for a statement like that. It's quite sad really. From this year alone I have a list of about 20 or more albums that I really enjoy and my impression on modern music, apart from the commercial stuff, is that it's as good as it's ever been.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

El Pr0n wrote: »
    You're getting defensive about me 'telling you what your opinions should be', but you're telling me outright "You're wrong" on my opinions? Stick to one angle. So it's my opinion that catchiness isn't subjective, if we don't agree there, fair enough, there isn't any argument to be had.?

Theres a difference.
    How can anybody ever say "I am in no way ignorant about any form of music"?? You know about every type of music in the world, really??

Everyone is ignorant to some form of music of course. Im not saying I went to Madagasgar and studied with the local tribes but in general I know my stuff.
    And if you knew that much about music, wouldn't you know enough to recognise 3 minutes of organised pitch and rhythm as 'music'? 'Cause I don't see how you can think a pop song isn't music.

To me, its not worthy of being called music.
    Why isn't it worth discussing? The crux of my argument is that EVERYTHING is worth discussing..

Its not worth discussing in my opinion. All it can lead to is pointless debates like ours.
    And you're getting sore with me for assuming things about you, and at the same time you're telling me I don't know the difference between utter tripe and real talented music? I haven't said anything about my own taste of music in this whole argument, how do you know what I know about music?

You begun the assumptions my friend and I followed suit. You also begun with the veiled insults and I followed suit. Would you prefer if I just agreed with your every word? The only songs you have talked about are the 1 in question and you said something about Blink 182. So that is what I know about your taste...and it sure is not my taste.

And as a last point, are you saying that it doesn't take talent to write a song that gets the entire world talking about it? Why isn't everyone writing songs that do that then?

Hahahahahaha. Its been fun El Pr0n, most interesting conversation Ive ever had on this particular forum but Im done, this is getting us nowhere and I got better things to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

**Vai** wrote: »
    You begun the assumptions my friend and I followed suit. You also begun with the veiled insults and I followed suit. Would you prefer if I just agreed with your every word? The only songs you have talked about are the 1 in question and you said something about Blink 182. So that is what I know about your taste...and it sure is not my taste.

Sorry about the veiled insults. They're not my taste either, just two examples of people who write exclusively catchy songs with little musical weight in them that I could think of.
    **Vai** wrote: »
    Hahahahahaha. Its been fun El Pr0n, most interesting conversation Ive ever had on this particular forum but Im done, this is getting us nowhere and I got better things to do.

It was good, and it's not going anywhere, agreed, but don't laugh at me when you're not going to properly engage my points (you still haven't said why you think Friday 'isn't music' - that isn't a matter of opinion, it is verifiably music).

I'm done too, waste of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,863 ✭✭✭RayCon

I'll tell you this much Beady Eye are a lot more Beatley than old Oasis.

You say that like it's a good thing ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Well no arguments there.

Just make sure The Wanted are in that list of "s***e present bands" because they are absolutely dire.

No.

Stop being terrible at listening to music.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Cliff Burton is a classic example of an early tragic death elevating one to a status that is undeserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

St.Spodo wrote: »
    I think the Second Coming is under-rated.

It hasn't happened yet... I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Cliff Burton is a classic example of an early tragic death elevating one to a status that is undeserved.

Who?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Spinal Tap's best drummer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Most of my music choice is unpopular with mates it seems. I could listen to Justin Bieber all day, he is class.
    The View (The band and not the chatting lesbians) are the best band ever.
    Dubstep is dreadful, so is rock music, anything heavier than The Who (Most of their songs are too heavy for my liking) can take a run and jump.
    Pop music is a ok for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭thesultan

Pearl Jam are a far superior band in every way to Nirvana but they shunned the limelight and they singer didn't top himself.
    Rory Gallagher is the most underrated musician ever.
    Fleet Foxes have produced two amazing albums but hardly any of the youth today know of them.
    Mask Trout Replicia is pure drivel
    Wish your were here is basically an overlong EP.
    Eric Clapton's best album is an album that most people then and now didn't even know he was on.
    Aloee Blaac and Raphael Saadiq (and Cee low) are two black artists who are using their talent instead of most who throw out crap called hip hop and rap.
    I prefer Eric Bell era Thin Lizzy

thesultan wrote: »
    Rory Gallagher is the most underrated musician ever.

Rory Gallagher plays the blues like a million other guitar players and everyone makes a huge deal out of him. Overrated if anything.
    thesultan wrote: »
    Fleet Foxes have produced two amazing albums but hardly any of the youth today know of them.
    Mask Trout Replicia is pure drivel

Fleet Foxes are amazing but Beefheart isn't? Tired old harmonies that you've heard a thousand million times since the 60s are better than rhythms and harmonies that were never put into a rock band context before TMR? A band who rehashes safe old music and never tries anything new or interesting are better than the band that invented alternative rock?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Hate Bob Dylan (his music's fine when done by someone who can actually sing).

The Beatles were nowhere near as good as the Stones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

This is good. Several artists and a novelist list the reasons why they hate a certain revered album:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2007/jun/15/popandrock

Music is kind of like cheese. You can have play it safe and stick with your cheddars or you can experiment with loads of different types: pungent, weepy, soft, etc. But no matter how much you experiment there's going to be cheeses you will never like that other people will like which you'll find inexplicable. I guess that's tastes for you.

The older I get, the less time I have for lectures about why something I don't like is brilliant. It's a pointless exercise…

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Interesting read. But two things stick out:

1. ABBA. Yes people love or hate them (I love them). But they were (and still are) the one group that appeals to ALL generations. I was 15 when they came out - my Dad (God rest him) was 42 years older. Both of us loved them.

2. In one section they go on about an album....and then quote Brian Eno....:rolleyes:

The older I get, the less time I have for lectures about why something I don't like is brilliant. It's a pointless exercise…

I dunno, sometimes they work. I spent about 5 years HATING metal, everytime I listened to it I couldn't find any positives, then about two weeks ago when i was in a particular mood for music I found about 3 metal bands I really enjoyed (Mayhem, Gorguts and Nile) inside a half hour. Any time I'd been ranted at by mates about why Pantera, Metallica, Megadeth and all were so great I would never find any of the positives they were talking about, but I guess it finally clicked a lot later. I'm way more open minded since, things turned around really quickly for me and metal anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭JoePie

Anything that's the 'original' or the 'template' for something done 30 years later is crap. Obviously it's been bettered since then. Quit living in the past.

Any band/group/artist that is/are 'Gods of Genre X/Y/Z' are usually the most generic, bland, uninteresting, boring example of that genre. Case in point: The Who, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Metallica, Cradle of Filth, My Chemical Romance, etc.

And The Beatles suck so much ass.

Everyone wants to fight me now. Well, my mates anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

Freddie59 wrote: »
    Interesting read. But two things stick out:

1. ABBA. Yes people love or hate them (I love them). But they were (and still are) the one group that appeals to ALL generations. I was 15 when they came out - my Dad (God rest him) was 42 years older. Both of us loved them.

But each of these reviews is a person writing about an album they personally dislike that was acclaimed. It's not about the general consensus.
    2. In one section they go on about an album....and then quote Brian Eno....:rolleyes:

A famous quote about the Velvet Underground that is nearly always mentioned anytime anyone writes about the band. I'm not sure what the roll eyes are about. Do you not consider Brian Eno a good musician?

ABBA. Yes people love or hate them (I love them). But they were (and still are) the one group that appeals to ALL generations. I was 15 when they came out - my Dad (God rest him) was 42 years older. Both of us loved them.

I actually still laugh over the fact that anyone couldn't like ABBA. They are not like modern pop bands with the likes of JLS, The Wanted, Calvin Harris and so fort. All four of them were great musicians and they actually created good cutting-edge pop songs. Too much modern pop is tarnished and spoiled because most of it is overproduced and relies heavily on rap influence to break the mainstream market. That is exactly how I feel about Justin Bieber's Baby. Just a bit of overworking can turn a song to absolute muck. Tunes like Dancing Queen are what we need more of for pop to be pure again.
    JoePie wrote: »
    And The Beatles suck so much ass.

Immensely overrated they are. I wouldn't say they are bad but they're music still doesn't do as much for me as Coldplay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

As a big Radiohead fan, it pains me to say it but I don't like their latest album. Their worst album by a country mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭viadah

Most people who love Radiohead really just want them to write another 'Creep' but they're terrified to admit it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

I actually still laugh over the fact that anyone couldn't like ABBA. They are not like modern pop bands with the likes of JLS, The Wanted, Calvin Harris and so fort.

Sorry, but Calvin Harris is nothing like JLS or The Wanted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭AhSureTisGrand

viadah wrote: »
    Most people who love Radiohead really just want them to write another 'Creep' but they're terrified to admit it.

Oh god no. I do secretly want another "Fake Plastic Trees" though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭viadah

That too yeah, I was remiss not to mention that.

Advertisement