Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your unpopular music opinions

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

baz2009 wrote: »
    Sorry, but Calvin Harris is nothing like JLS or The Wanted.

You're right, he's way worse. He seems to choose independently to be that crap...

As a big Radiohead fan, it pains me to say it but I don't like their latest album. Their worst album by a country mile.

It was actually the album that got me back listening to them after many years of not bothering. I'm going to say an unpopular music opinon - I like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

baz2009 wrote: »
    Sorry, but Calvin Harris is nothing like JLS or The Wanted.
    You're right, he's way worse. He seems to choose independently to be that crap...

I just don't get DJ's.

Lots of my friends from college were saying he stopped singing because he wasn't that good and people were making fun of him. But when I saw Calvin he mainly just played songs by other artists for the whole night.

Would've liked a bit more personality too when I saw him live "are you ready to go mental"? Something like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

viadah wrote: »
    Most people who love Radiohead really just want them to write another 'Creep' but they're terrified to admit it.
    You couldn't be more wrong. Most Radiohead fans hate 'Creep' and Pablo Honey in general and instead have orgasms over Kid A and OK Computer. The only people that like 'Creep' are the causual fans.

karaokeman wrote: »
    I just don't get DJ's.

Lots of my friends from college were saying he stopped singing because he wasn't that good and people were making fun of him. But when I saw Calvin he mainly just played songs by other artists for the whole night.

Would've liked a bit more personality "are you ready to go mental"? Something like that.

I really do feel like your anti-me sometimes. Ah well. Here's a good compilation of future music. All free. All cool:
    http://www.adultswim.com/promos/201109_unclassified/index.html

And here's a very nice mix from a DJ that refrains from asking people in his vicinity if they 'are ready to go mental':
    http://soundcloud.com/subjectevents/subcast_001

Remember people not all dance music is council estate...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

It was actually the album that got me back listening to them after many years of not bothering. I'm going to say an unpopular music opinon - I don't like it.

I think I'm in that "not bothering" phase right now having heard their last 2 albums. Just can't get into them, its Kid A and Hail To The Thief on repeat for me!

I think I'm in that "not bothering" phase right now having heard their last 2 albums. Just can't get into them, its Kid A and Hail To The Thief on repeat for me!

Haha, in my last post I meant to say I like it. Edited.

But the other one In Rainbows leaves me cold. The King of Limbs I really enjoyed but I suppose there was no burden of expectation with me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

I think Underworld's latest album was really, really good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭Junco Partner

another opinion i have that seems to be unpopular in an age where people revere one genre and **** on every other i like music as a whole i aint genre specific. from rock(classic and modern) rap(when they aint singing about money and bitches that is) , dance, dubstep( nothing like a good drop) and pop(when they write it themselves that is) and every genre in between. rock and two tone will always be my first loves however.

the other thing that pisses me off is "the music today is **** and the old stuff was so much better" argument.
    they had just as much **** back in the day. for every paint it black they had , there were 5 songs in the same vein as sugar sugar by the archies topping the charts. as time goes by the **** fades into obscurity and we're left only with the good stuff. in 40 years aint no-one gonna remember jls only the good stuff.

f0ggy92 wrote: »
    in 40 years aint no-one gonna remember jls only the good stuff.

Exactly like Coldplay, Snow Patrol, The Script, Noel Gallagher, Girls Aloud, The Killers, Foo Fighters and Robbie Williams.

• Advertisement

Exactly like Coldplay, Snow Patrol, The Script, Noel Gallagher, Girls Aloud, The Killers, Foo Fighters and Robbie Williams.
    I actually can't tell if you're being serious or not. I hope you're not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

i see what you did there :cool:

Wait wait...
    Exactly like The National, Boards of Canada, M83, Stereolab, Autolux, LCD Soundsystem and Sigur Ros.
    There, fixed :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I just don't get DJ's.

Or music for the most part but hopefully you'll get a bit of educatin' if you lurk a bit more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Definitely one, maybe two. The rest are just lol though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

'Toxic' by Britney Spears is one of the greatest pop songs of all time, and I ain't ashamed to admit that I have it on my iPod and I think it's a savage tune. I'm not saying for a minute that Britney Spears is an 'artist' or a great vocalist or anything, but that 'Toxic' song is a very well-crafted pop song and I really like her vocal stylings on that track. It's a far superior pop song to a lot of what's come after it and I think it will be remembered as such, as far as pop music goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭partyndbs

JB rules. like im not joking he is the man and has so many great songs...ok if your 32 years old your not gonna like his music but the lad can sing, he's slick and his songs are catchy as ****. hes an icon of the modern world.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

'Toxic' by Britney Spears is one of the greatest pop songs of all time, and I ain't ashamed to admit that I have it on my iPod and I think it's a savage tune. I'm not saying for a minute that Britney Spears is an 'artist' or a great vocalist or anything, but that 'Toxic' song is a very well-crafted pop song and I really like her vocal stylings on that track. It's a far superior pop song to a lot of what's come after it and I think it will be remembered as such, as far as pop music goes.

Britney Spears, or at least her team, has an undeniable knack for picking a tune. She's had more undeniably terrific slices of pop than Lady Gaga will ever bother her arse churning out in a million years.

partyndbs wrote: »
    JB rules. like im not joking he is the man and has so many great songs...ok if your 32 years old your not gonna like his music but the lad can sing, he's slick and his songs are catchy as ****. hes an icon of the modern world.

Being catchy is not what makes a song great, good lyrics are.

All Bieber's lyrics are a load of meh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭AhSureTisGrand

Feck off and just read some poetry then

• Advertisement

Feck off and just read some poetry then

You do realise that half the reason so many people bring up the "music is s*** nowadays and used to be good in the old days" argument is because of some of the poor lyrics nowadays.

Most of the commercial world is ruled by artists who penn lyrics for the sake of them being catchy and appealing to the mainstream market.

Look at Chris Brown's Yeah x3 or She Makes Me Wanna by JLS. These are the lyrics that are not meant to be relevant to the musician in any way but rather there to sound good on radio.

Good bands write songs about their own lives and how they became successful like the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

If you write a song that people will just like because it sounds good, then you're not a serious lyricist.

Good bands write songs about their own lives and how they became successful like the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

I'm sorry I may not be able to read the rest of your post as you said "good bands" and "Red Hot Chili Peppers" in the same sentence

This may have been said before (possibly by me), but Placebo are kinda shïte

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

You do realise that half the reason so many people bring up the "music is s*** nowadays and used to be good in the old days" argument is because of some of the poor lyrics nowadays.

Most of the commercial world is ruled by artists who penn lyrics for the sake of them being catchy and appealing to the mainstream market.

Look at Chris Brown's Yeah x3 or She Makes Me Wanna by JLS. These are the lyrics that are not meant to be relevant to the musician in any way but rather there to sound good on radio.

If you write a song that people will just like because it sounds good, then you're not a serious lyricist.

you really need to listen to alot more music. RHCP good lyrics? Get a grip.

Music is every bit as good today as it was 20 30 40 years ago, it's more accessible and there's a much greater variety.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Tweedo

Graham Coxon was the greatest guitarist of his generation:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

Britney Spears, or at least her team, has an undeniable knack for picking a tune. She's had more undeniably terrific slices of pop than Lady Gaga will ever bother her arse churning out in a million years.

It's hard to deny that Britney put out some classic pop tunes.

Not necessarily. To me what makes a song great is when the band or artist puts 100% expression, emotion and conviction into it and not give a f**k whether anybody likes the song or not. Something bands like RHCP don't do.

lordgoat wrote: »
    you really need to listen to alot more music. RHCP good lyrics? Get a grip.

Music is every bit as good today as it was 20 30 40 years ago, it's more accessible and there's a much greater variety.

You are not qualified to make that statement as you don't know who half the bands I listen to are.

But I agree with you that music is no worse now than it was generations ago. For every s**** song out there, there will be 5 killers.
    Zero1986 wrote: »
    Not necessarily. To me what makes a song great is when the band or artist puts 100% expression, emotion and conviction into it and not give a f**k whether anybody likes the song or not. Something bands like RHCP don't do.

Someone hasn't heard Otherside.

Someone hasn't heard Otherside.
    I have, it's track 4 on Californication. I used to listen to them when I was younger and I saw them at Slane 2003, but I soon realised that there is FAR better music out there than the RHCP and certainly far more meaningful songs than 'Otherside'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

This may have been said before (possibly by me), but Placebo are kinda shïte

They really have gone to the dogs but christ their second album (Without You I'm Nothing) was sublime - lyrically, and the music was very understated and simple in comparison to their later anthem rock stuff. Third album (Black Market Music) was great also. I used to listen to them a lot ten years ago but Molko's voice grates me now.

Advertisement