Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your unpopular music opinions

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭AhSureTisGrand

lordgoat wrote: »
    For the record i love a good pop song, and i can ignore the crappy lyrics in an S&M as it's got a stonking beat and a bit of fun. Doesn't take itself to seriously which, for me, is what pop should be about.

I quite liked the lyrics to S&M. While everyone else was singing about sex, Rihanna was singing about really kinky sex

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Eh haven't you raved on about how great boyzone or westlife are as well?

Seriosuly there is so much good music out there and you choose to listen to co-ck as it's entertaining. Fair enough. Also i happen to think that most bands you mention aren't a hell of alot better than the BEP (fair enough people like what they like) the main thing that irks me is how you try to back up a point.

Like saying that you don't like crappy lyrics in pop songs but listen to the BEP.

For the record i love a good pop song, and i can ignore the crappy lyrics in an S&M as it's got a stonking beat and a bit of fun. Doesn't take itself to seriously which, for me, is what pop should be about.

I never said Westlife and Boyzone were good.

If I remember correctly you are looking at this from the perspective that I think the Beatles are overrated. Really that always will be one of the most debatable views in music. They are the most famous and critically-acclaimed band worldwide. It is sort of inevitable the odd person will think they are overrated. The fact I say modern bands like Coldplay are better doesn't exactly say I only listen to modern day music either. R.EM, Elvis Presley, Metallica, Garth Brooks, Elton John are all older than myself and all are still on my iPod. Some Beatles songs there too but I certainly wouldn't listen to them everyday.

As you say you enjoy S&M by Rihanna. I could say myself like you argue "there is so much good music out there" but people's music tastes are not judged by a few guilty pleasures, they are judged by their tastes overall on the basis of an extensive amount of bands they listen to. So seen as how you only know a very small fraction of what I listen to you can't say I don't choose good music.

Also another thing you should know is this, I've only heard the BEP's singles. If I was a true fan you'd seriously think I would've heard the non-single songs on an album, B-sides and whatever else.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Paparazzo wrote: »
    I used to love the smashing pumpkins 15 years ago, but don't like them at all now. Even Siamese Dream. Not sure how I used to listen to Billy Corgans voice.

Yeah I should have expalined my reasoning really rather than just throwing a statement up there.

Corgans voice I find incredibly annoying and the song writing really is nothing special imo. Not a band Id listen to and I am always perplexed by people holding them in such high regard. I can acknowledge great or important bands that arent to my musical taste, but it isnt the case with The Pumpkins.

With The Smiths, maybe my views are biased as they came on the scene when I was at the height of my musical listening. I was young and interested in energetic exciting music. I was mostly listening to rock and metal and The Smiths stood for everything I didnt like, moany jingly jangly songs.:D

I found Morrissey also incredibly annoying both as a vocalist and front man.

Now I`ve revised a lot of my opinions on groups that I didnt like when i was younger but I still dont get the fawning over The Smiths and in particular Morrissey. I found their songs lazy moany and boring.:D

I dont see them as an important contributor to music in the grand scheme of things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

adox wrote: »
    I dont see them as an important contributor to music in the grand scheme of things.

It's your opinion, but I think this is completely untrue. They have influenced so many bands, especially British bands, that have come after them. Their songs are very well written and crafted, and you can tell a lot of work went into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Yeah I should have expalined my reasoning really rather than just throwing a statement up there.

Corgans voice I find incredibly annoying and the song writing really is nothing special imo. Not a band Id listen to and I am always perplexed by people holding them in such high regard. I can acknowledge great or important bands that arent to my musical taste, but it isnt the case with The Pumpkins.

The thing about the Pumpkins is, while they made their mark during the grunge phase that's dated fairly horribly, I do feel like they had some genuine moments of genius right before Billy went off the deep end completely. Corgan's voice isn't classically brilliant - he'd never win American Idol or anything - but his lazy nasal sneer captured the mood perfectly and the sickly sweet whispery croon he broke out every now and then contrasted with it nicely.

I still think that 1979 is just a perfect, perfect song, and Adore really hasn't aged a day since it was released.

• Advertisement

The thing about the Pumpkins is, while they made their mark during the grunge phase that's dated fairly horribly, I do feel like they had some genuine moments of genius right before Billy went off the deep end completely. Corgan's voice isn't classically brilliant - he'd never win American Idol or anything - but his lazy nasal sneer captured the mood perfectly and the sickly sweet whispery croon he broke out every now and then contrasted with it nicely.

I still think that 1979 is just a perfect, perfect song, and Adore really hasn't aged a day since it was released.

Smashing Pumpkins are one of my favourite bands ever, mainly because of the emotional attachment I have with them. I just feel sentimental about them. I agree objectively that they did have moments of genius, and I think Corgan is genuinely an extremely talented musician. He is a great guitar player and some of the melodies he composed are really great. They are an extremely atmospheric band and really set a mood. I far prefer them to Nirvana simply because of the complexity of the songs and I genuinely believe that Corgan, at their peak, was a superior songwriter to Kurt Cobain (melodically and lyrically). That's probably another unpopular opinion!

Smashing Pumpkins are an old band now, and I think they're past their sell-by date, but I'll always have time for them. I really think, like you said, they had moments of genius (1979, Tonight, Tonight, Today, Ava Adore, Beautiful, Disarm), some really great classics over the years that are completely timeless songs and really set them far above most bands who came before and after them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭mg1

Nirvana suck!

Beatles blow!

U2 stink!

Queen lives for ever!

The BeeGees rocked!

&

Elvis ruled the world!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

John Lennon's music is absolute rubbish, he seemed like a w anker too.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

ItsAWindUp wrote: »

I hate that kind of sh-ite talk. So fuc-king what. I'm sure some people think the same of many musicians and people in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

No problem with your opinion on his music but whats the relevance of your perception of him as a person?

I either like a persons music or I dont. If they are likeable then yippee, but I couldnt give a fook about their personality tbh.

• Advertisement

Judge the art not the artist.

People always complain that Lennon seemed a bit of a tossed but so what, the man made some truly exceptional music. in a thousand years there is very little music from the past 100 years that will still exist but I have no doubt that the music of the Beatles will.

As for my unpopular opinion, The Smiths are the most mundane band of all time. A bunch of tiresom artistic twats who were it not for students would not have quite the legacy that they do. Morrisey in particular is a dreadful bore who tries to be cutting edge by releasing ridiculous statements every few years. As a vegetarian myself I find his constant attempts to force his beliefs on others disgusting. Anyone who walks offstage because a venue serves meat doesn't deserve to have fans buying tickets to see him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Morrisey in particular is a dreadful bore who tries to be cutting edge by releasing ridiculous statements every few years. As a vegetarian myself I find his constant attempts to force his beliefs on others disgusting. Anyone who walks offstage because a venue serves meat doesn't deserve to have fans buying tickets to see him.

???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

I've heard that same claim being made about 90% of successful musicians.

Axel Rose, James Hetfield, Anthony Kiedis, Bono, Bowie to name but a few. Everyone seems to think they are all p***ks.

I don't really care how down to Earth or polite an artist is, its their music I enjoy at the end of the day and nothing will change that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭mg1

Agree 100%:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

karaokeman wrote: »
    I don't really care how down to Earth or polite an artist is, its their music I enjoy at the end of the day and nothing will change that.
    For once you've written something that I agree with :).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

+1
    Rock N' Roll Pt. 2 is a choon, regardless of Gary Glitter's crimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭daveyeh

Hocus Pocus by Focus is the best song ever written.

+1

Often the two are not mutually exclusive. A lot of good art is inextricably linked to the artist who created it. A lot of artists put themselves into their work, so it's hard to judge their work without judging them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

Often the two are not mutually exclusive. A lot of good art is inextricably linked to the artist who created it. A lot of artists put themselves into their work, so it's hard to judge their work without judging them.

I agree. If the person making the music comes across as a total buffoon in an interview it is going to colour my view of their music when I go to listen to it. It makes it harder to judge it on its own merits. Just as if I hear someone who is intelligent and personable in interview and I get around to hearing their music and its total muck - it makes it that bit more disappointing.

And on the Gary Glitter tune, it might be a cracker but I'm not going to support the man by buying it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

mg1 wrote: »
    Elvis ruled the world!

with other peoples songs :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I don't know... the fact that Kanye is a despicable cock seems to filter through to his music. I reckon hip hop is probably more persona driven though, same with Jay Z, his twattishness makes him unlistenable imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Bob Dylan is only a great lyricist. Everything else about him his mediocre at best.

???

The sound of Morrissey's voice just annoys me and I find his songwriting tone cliched as hell and boring to boot.

That he goes out of his way to create controversy doesn't help his case any bit. Difference between an artist who states an opinion in the press and one who repeatedly attempts to force his opinion on others.

Kold wrote: »
    I don't know... the fact that Kanye is a despicable cock seems to filter through to his music. I reckon hip hop is probably more persona driven though, same with Jay Z, his twattishness makes him unlistenable imo.

And you can really tell the difference, I think, between early Kanye, before he believed he was sh*t hot, to current Kanye who can't get enough of his own hype. Some of his early stuff is phenomenal.

Likewise, Snoop Dogg is a cool motherf*cker, and it completely comes through in his music too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

The greatest Irish rock'n'roll band of all time was The Golden Horde. They are sorely missed (at least by me).

People always complain that Lennon seemed a bit of a tossed but so what, the man made some truly exceptional music. in a thousand years there is very little music from the past 100 years that will still exist but I have no doubt that the music of the Beatles will.

As for my unpopular opinion, The Smiths are the most mundane band of all time. A bunch of tiresom artistic twats who were it not for students would not have quite the legacy that they do. Morrisey in particular is a dreadful bore who tries to be cutting edge by releasing ridiculous statements every few years. As a vegetarian myself I find his constant attempts to force his beliefs on others disgusting. Anyone who walks offstage because a venue serves meat doesn't deserve to have fans buying tickets to see him.

Ha, says it all really.

I hate that kind of sh-ite talk. So fuc-king what. I'm sure some people think the same of many musicians and people in general.

This is exactly what I'm talking about, it's almost a hanging offence to dare top criticise Saint John or his crap music. Working Class Hero? You are having a laugh! Also, I noticed that you haven't replied like that to any posts regarding Morrissey and his personality (and there's been a few). Bit of a soft spot for John or something?

No problem with your opinion on his music but whats the relevance of your perception of him as a person?

I either like a persons music or I dont. If they are likeable then yippee, but I couldnt give a fook about their personality tbh.

The relevance is that it seems to be massively unpopular to dislike him.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

This is exactly what I'm talking about, it's almost a hanging offence to dare top criticise Saint John or his crap music. Working Class Hero? You are having a laugh!

I have no love for Lennon or the Beatles.

I think it's stupid to call someone a w anker in this thread. It's not what it's about.

I couldn't give a **** about someone not being that nice a person through hearsay on the internetz.

• Advertisement

I have no love for Lennon or the Beatles.

I think it's stupid to call someone a w anker in this thread. It's not what it's about.

I couldn't give a **** about someone not being that nice a person through hearsay on the internetz.

Who says? As far as I'm aware, the thread title is unpopular music opinions, and an unpopular musical opinion of mine is that John Lennon (a musician) was a prick.

Advertisement