Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your unpopular music opinions

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

Who fúck listens to rock music anymore? It's the year 2011 ffs..

Have you even listened to the new PJ Harvey or Wild Beasts albums? What decade are you living in?

You should cut that fringe out of your eyes fella. It's making ya fierce grumpy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

I think Animal Collective are one of the most overhyped bands in recent years. Merriweather Post Pavillion and Strawberry Jam are good enough albums but really disappointing in context with the sheer amount of critical acclaim they attract.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

It's not a challenge, we don't have to actually be arseholes.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭viadah

Jesus, people are becoming more and more genre obsessed, I thought we'd grown out of all that ****e since about 1995.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Simon Adebisi

Dub step? Fúck off and die already.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 The Marlboro Man

adox wrote: »
    Ive more interest in rock music and have only started dipping in to the Alt & Indie forum recently. I hadnt realised there would be so many bands that I have an interest in being discussed on that forum.

Have you even listened to the new PJ Harvey or Wild Beasts albums? What decade are you living in?

i-m-a-dick-not-an-asshole-t-shirts.png

Well, just to prove my point anyway. Just look up PJ Harvey on Wiki - look to the right on the 'genres' section and it states: "Alternative rock, indie rock, experimental rock, folk rock, art rock, electronica"

People can listen to whatever the hell they want, don't be so narrow-minded. So what, it's 2011 so everyone HAS TO listen to the latest indie and alternative music? Forget about trends and choose your own musical path.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

Dub step? Fúck off and die already.

This:

and this:

and this:

and this:

are all considered dubstep. I'll have more of this. All that Skrillex brostep bollocks can eye rape itself. Not all dubstep is that reprehensible cock. Some of it is actually quite beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Stacey.

I love Cher Lloyd. <3

-waits for haters-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Stacey. wrote: »
    I love Cher Lloyd. <3

-waits for haterspeople with some sense-

• Advertisement

Chinese Democracy is a great album and one of the most interesting of recent years.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

]

Wild beasts do nothing for me, the new PJ is a good album, not the best this year though.

Also Wilco are rock. Actually adox give Wilco a go. If you like heavy guitars and a good rock out - A Ghost is Born. Something more mellow - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Surprised no one has said anything about Oasis in this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

karaokeman wrote: »
    Surprised no one has said anything about Oasis in this thread.

I'm pretty sure numerous people have.

baz2009 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure numerous people have.

They've spoke about Beady Eye but not Oasis.

I just think they are fantastic. Didn't really get them while they were together but after they split and I heard Noel Gallagher was working on a solo album.

I decided to learn more about Noel during that period and I got to know about all these B-sides he wrote for Oasis and as well as that some of the other non-single songs on Oasis albums.

It just became clear to me that Oasis were really and truly one of the best bands in British history and I started to appreciate Noel for the genius he is.

Now Noel's solo album is just over a week away:).

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

They've spoke about Beady Eye but not Oasis.

I just think they are fantastic. Didn't really get them while they were together but after they split and I heard Noel Gallagher was working on a solo album.

I decided to learn more about Noel during that period and I got to know about all these B-sides he wrote for Oasis and as well as that some of the other non-single songs on Oasis albums.

It just became clear to me that Oasis were really and truly one of the best bands in British history and I started to appreciate Noel for the genius he is.

Now Noel's solo album is just over a week away:).

How is any of that an unpopular music opinion?

baaaa baaaa

Might as well mention Oasis then so.

Ride >>>> Oasis

lordgoat wrote: »
    How is any of that an unpopular music opinion?

baaaa baaaa

Same as asking why is hating U2 an unpopular opinion. Its not plenty of people hate U2 and plenty of people have posted about not liking U2 in this thread but to them its still an unpopular opinion they hold.

Whatever your music opinion, you will base its popularity on the majority of people you've met and whether or not they would agree.

I know LOTS of people that don't give a c*** about Noel Gallagher, nor do they appreciate his songwriting, singing, guitar solo's etc. For me he is a master of all three and so for my friends they find my love of his solo work and work with Oasis to be an unpopular view.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Same as asking why is hating U2 an unpopular opinion. Its not plenty of people hate U2 and plenty of people have posted about not liking U2 in this thread but to them its still an unpopular opinion they hold.

Whatever your music opinion, you will base its popularity on the majority of people you've met and whether or not they would agree.

I know LOTS of people that don't give a c*** about Noel Gallagher, nor do they appreciate his songwriting, singing, guitar solo's etc. For me he is a master of all three and so for my friends they find my love of his solo work and work with Oasis to be an unpopular view.

Thanks for the breakdown... But did you self-censor "crap"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 The Marlboro Man

Zero1986 wrote: »
    People can listen to whatever the hell they want, don't be so narrow-minded. So what, it's 2011 so everyone HAS TO listen to the latest indie and alternative music? Forget about trends and choose your own musical path.

I was joking, hence my "I am díck, not an asshole" t-shirt pic, as another poster asked when are we printing a-hole t-shirts for the indie crowd.

Some people got the joke, others didn't.

Then my second point on PJ Harvey - all her genres on her wiki page had rock in them "Alternative rock, indie rock, experimental rock, folk rock, art rock, electronica", as adox stated "I've more interest in rock music and have only started dipping in to the Alt & Indie forum recently".

By the way PJ's Let England Shake is the album of the year for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I'm more inclined to visit the Music forum since I'm primarily interested in music over whats Alternative and/or Indie, although what's in there interests me a thousand times more than Rock or Metal. I listen to a WHOLE lot of electronic music but the Electronic/dance forum doesn't really tend to have a whole lot of threads that interest me, I do lurk a lot in the experimental forum. But then you come here and find the front page filled with Beady Eye and Pop music. Tbh, I'd be in favour of a pop/r'n'b forum just to keep the music forum.. somewhat purer. Despite the protests to genres, I reckon over a 100 conversations could go on simultaneously over the whole music tab and I'd love to see this forum become less of the pop music forum and more of the general discussion forum.

Maybe apply for a Kold Forum to go with your Kold Thread?

Yep I agree. Other music boards I post on usually have a pop forum separate from the general music forum as well as the usual indie/alt, rock/metal, electronic forums etc. There's usually more meaningful discussions and better and more open-ended threads in the general music forum, not that this thread is bad in any way, in fact it's probably the best thread in this forum. One thing that really gets me around here is that there are too many threads dedicated to posting song videos or to a particular artist, rather than more open topics like discussing the latest album you bought or downloaded etc. Sorry for going off-topic.

El Pr0n wrote: »
    Thanks for the breakdown... But did you self-censor "crap"?

Yes I did because thats the way most of my friends view Noel Gallagher.

Kold wrote: »
    you come here and find the front page filled with Beady Eye and Pop music. Tbh, I'd be in favour of a pop/r'n'b forum just to keep the music forum.. somewhat purer. Despite the protests to genres, I reckon over a 100 conversations could go on simultaneously over the whole music tab and I'd love to see this forum become less of the pop music forum and more of the general discussion forum.

If you looked back you will actually see that there are more anti-pop music threads in this forum.

I remember looking at a thread about how JLS, Example and a whole heep of other pop acts were releasing material that sounded exactly the same and why this is the reason pop music has become more lazy and unoriginal.

Another thread was about how X Factor has ruined the covers scene with all these artists who have a cover version on the radio a week after their performance on the show.

I think there were a few more threads written against the notion of cover bands and artists releasing covers in general.

I am actually happy that the front page of this general "Music" forum has the likes of Noel Gallagher, Nirvana, Pink Floyd and U2. Long as we have no Britney Spears, George Michael, Ke$ha, The Wanted, Calvin Harris, Chris Brown or Jason Derulo I'm satisfied with this forum the way it is.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Kold wrote: »
    I'm more inclined to visit the Music forum since I'm primarily interested in music over whats Alternative and/or Indie, although what's in there interests me a thousand times more than Rock or Metal. I listen to a WHOLE lot of electronic music but the Electronic/dance forum doesn't really tend to have a whole lot of threads that interest me, I do lurk a lot in the experimental forum. But then you come here and find the front page filled with Beady Eye and Pop music. Tbh, I'd be in favour of a pop/r'n'b forum just to keep the music forum.. somewhat purer. Despite the protests to genres, I reckon over a 100 conversations could go on simultaneously over the whole music tab and I'd love to see this forum become less of the pop music forum and more of the general discussion forum.

I'm not saying this to 'defend' the electronic forum but if you have a passion for electronic music and don't find anything of interest in the electronic music forum why don't you contribute? - There is quite a variety of taste there and the more that contribute the better obviously in terms of sharing discoveries etc.

Also, while on the subject, does the 'DJ' element in the forum name potentially put people off posting? We had a poll about a year or so ago to request a name change and my preference at the time was to just call it 'electronic music' as I felt the DJ element could be off putting for people who don't DJ - unfortunately the DJ bit was voted in, I'd still love to see a separate DJ forum and keep the electronic one, eh, electronic...

Also, while on the subject, does the 'DJ' element in the forum name potentially put people off posting? We had a poll about a year or so ago to request a name change and my preference at the time was to just call it 'electronic music' as I felt the DJ element could be off putting for people who don't DJ - unfortunately the DJ bit was voted in, I'd still love to see a separate DJ forum and keep the electronic one, eh, electronic...

I lurk around that forum a lot, don't post so much 'cause I don't know so much. When I first started looking there I was an obsessive Autechre fan (still am :P ) and I thought that whole forum was only for music you'd play/hear in clubs. I've since gotten into a lot of that music so I get it now, but at the time it seemed a bit too focused to just be under 'electronic music'.

I'd like for a separate DJ forum, to make a bit of a divide between composing original tunes and playing mixes. Don't get me wrong, I find a lot of the DJ talk interesting, I've learned a good bit from that forum. I suppose the threads about synthesisers and samplers and making your own tunes would be more at home in the Dance Music Production forum? But what if I don't want people to dance to my tunes.... :P

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

El Pr0n wrote: »
    I lurk around that forum a lot, don't post so much 'cause I don't know so much. When I first started looking there I was an obsessive Autechre fan (still am :P ) and I thought that whole forum was only for music you'd play/hear in clubs. I've since gotten into a lot of that music so I get it now, but at the time it seemed a bit too focused to just be under 'electronic music'.

I'd like for a separate DJ forum, to make a bit of a divide between composing original tunes and playing mixes. Don't get me wrong, I find a lot of the DJ talk interesting, I've learned a good bit from that forum. I suppose the threads about synthesisers and samplers and making your own tunes would be more at home in the Dance Music Production forum? But what if I don't want people to dance to my tunes.... :P

Yeah I think certainly when it was called Dance Music & DJing or whatever is used to be called it would definitely limit the audience to what you'd expect to hear in clubs - I suppose in fairness it still is more so club orientated stuff but we do have various threads around IDM (I always excuse myself when I use those letters but you know what I mean :p ), ambient and other general electronic music, just not quite as popular as the likes of techno, house etc. Electronic music is so broad and I suppose I'd like to see more discussions around a bigger variety, although some of it does probably fall more into experimental but it really is quiet there the last while.

Anyway, seriously dragging this off topic now... good to hear you are still a fan of Autechre!

If you looked back you will actually see that there are more anti-pop music threads in this forum.

I remember looking at a thread about how JLS, Example and a whole heep of other pop acts were releasing material that sounded exactly the same and why this is the reason pop music has become more lazy and unoriginal.

Another thread was about how X Factor has ruined the covers scene with all these artists who have a cover version on the radio a week after their performance on the show.

I think there were a few more threads written against the notion of cover bands and artists releasing covers in general.

I am actually happy that the front page of this general "Music" forum has the likes of Noel Gallagher, Nirvana, Pink Floyd and U2. Long as we have no Britney Spears, George Michael, Ke$ha, The Wanted, Calvin Harris, Chris Brown or Jason Derulo I'm satisfied with this forum the way it is.

How is that not the discussion of pop music? Also, I'm pretty sure you'd find a lot more people willing to listen to and debate your off the wall opinions in a forum more dedicated to your preferred music.

• Advertisement

I'm not saying this to 'defend' the electronic forum but if you have a passion for electronic music and don't find anything of interest in the electronic music forum why don't you contribute? - There is quite a variety of taste there and the more that contribute the better obviously in terms of sharing discoveries etc.

I think scrapping the DJ and 'dance' titles would be a good idea. I hate the term 'dance' music seeing as music to dance to is in no way synonymous with electronic music. I think I've tried posting once or twice in the forum on the likes of Siriusmo or Modeselektor and not much discussion was spawned. Both the electronic and the alt forums I dip into and lurk within, only poking into when something interests me. One thing I'll say is that both forums seem to have 'communities' going on which is a pretty cool.

Advertisement