Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your unpopular music opinions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Kold wrote: »
    How is that not the discussion of pop music? Also, I'm pretty sure you'd find a lot more people willing to listen to and debate your off the wall opinions in a forum more dedicated to your preferred music.

I guess everyone's different but I prefer to see a general music forum bash the pop stars I don't like (who I listed above).

X Factor bashing I don't mind because the show truly deserves that for the "talent" its produced in the last few years.

The discussion of pop music for me is acceptable if I'm hearing rants about how bad artists I don't like are.

But this forum goes through trends. You would look a few months back and see threads about Justin Bieber, Cher Lloyd and so fort on the one page but now its more rock-orientated on the first page.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Kold wrote: »
    I think scrapping the DJ and 'dance' titles would be a good idea. I hate the term 'dance' music seeing as music to dance to is in no way synonymous with electronic music. I think I've tried posting once or twice in the forum on the likes of Siriusmo or Modeselektor and not much discussion was spawned. Both the electronic and the alt forums I dip into and lurk within, only poking into when something interests me. One thing I'll say is that both forums seem to have 'communities' going on which is a pretty cool.

We dropped the 'dance' bit ages ago now, actually here is the thread from last year when the name change was debated/polled and we ended up with the name 'Electronic Music & DJing'

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055907695

As for not much discussion being spawned as you say on the two mentioned, it can happen just as much on any other forum, I start plenty of threads and mention many electronic acts that go ignored, I press on regardless though :pac: Yeah the communities seem to be good, although it is a lot quieter I must say lately in the electronic music forum too, a lot of the regulars have a facebook community going also, I'm not really one for facebook so very rarely drop by.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Bob Dylan is massively overrated, both musically and lyrically.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Also, while on the subject, does the 'DJ' element in the forum name potentially put people off posting? We had a poll about a year or so ago to request a name change and my preference at the time was to just call it 'electronic music' as I felt the DJ element could be off putting for people who don't DJ - unfortunately the DJ bit was voted in, I'd still love to see a separate DJ forum and keep the electronic one, eh, electronic...

I'd drop the DJ bit of it too tbh. DJ to me evokes clubbing and lovin' it lovin' it lovin' it etc.

I'd be more inclined to pop into Electronic on it's own...

Ya on thinking on it a general pop forum would be quite beneficial, not sure what'd be left in the Gen Music forum then, plus the mods would have to >move threads> a hell of a lot i think...

If someone wants to suggest it over in 'proposed forums' go for it, it'd be interesting to see the outcome.

Also bring back the Kold thread.

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    Bob Dylan is massively overrated, both musically and lyrically.

I think he borrowed a lot of folk tunes and made a name out of them and that pisses me off. There's an old anthology of folk you can get and it's hilarious how many songs Dylan has blatantly ripped off.

linky: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Anthology-American-Music-Edited-Harry/dp/B000001DJU

linky: http://ralphriver.blogspot.com/2006/09/more-dylan-thefts.html - Dylan ripping lyrics.

Joni Mitchell Vs Bob. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/bob-dylan/7625304/Joni-Mitchell-Everything-about-Bob-Dylan-is-fake.html

Do people not already know this ****? christ i ain't that old...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

lordgoat wrote: »
    I think he borrowed a lot of folk tunes and made a name out of them and that pisses me off. There's an old anthology of folk you can get and it's hilarious how many songs Dylan has blatantly ripped off.

linky: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Anthology-American-Music-Edited-Harry/dp/B000001DJU

linky: http://ralphriver.blogspot.com/2006/09/more-dylan-thefts.html - Dylan ripping lyrics.

Joni Mitchell Vs Bob. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/bob-dylan/7625304/Joni-Mitchell-Everything-about-Bob-Dylan-is-fake.html

Do people not already know this ****? christ i ain't that old...

That's actually not about Dylan ripping lyrics off, its about prose and to be fair I could see how a phrase might stay with you and be unconciously regurgitated at a later date. We are not talking about whole passages here, we're talking about phrases and sentences. In terms of the ripping off folk songs thing - I don't think it's really a charge he'd deny but the thing is most folk singers were appropriating folk songs and making them there own. It was a standard practice. The same melody would be recycled through numerous different songs.

And Joni Mitchell is a wagon who's pissed off that everybody else left the hippie dream behind back in the sixties. I've read a few interviews from her over the last couple of years and some of them are totally poisonous.

That's actually not about Dylan ripping lyrics off, its about prose and to be fair I could see how a phrase might stay with you and be unconciously regurgitated at a later date. We are not talking about whole passages here, we're talking about phrases and sentences. In terms of the ripping off folk songs thing - I don't think it's really a charge he'd deny but the thing is most folk singers were appropriating folk songs and making them there own. It was a standard practice. The same melody would be recycled through numerous different songs.

And Joni Mitchell is a wagon who's pissed off that everybody else left the hippie dream behind back in the sixties. I've read a few interviews from her over the last couple of years and some of them are totally poisonous.

I said he was ripping off lyrics, as in his lyrics are taken from elsewhere. Also it's a joke on that album, he definitely took swaths of stuff from that poet (Timbaud? can't remember the name)

Also have a listen to that folk album it's comical in places just how much he borrows. I'll try and dig out a few songs after a while if i can arsed putting on the cd (well finding them!)

Also that interview was the first Joni has given in years. 2006 the last before i think before that one from 2010.
    She's as much a wagon as Bob is a grumpy old sh-ite.

This sound familiar? It's not Bob. Its the Bently Brothers from the 20's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mX3MQzSFq-Y

I said he was ripping off lyrics, as in his lyrics are taken from elsewhere. Also it's a joke on that album, he definitely took swaths of stuff from that poet (Timbaud? can't remember the name)

But you linked to a page about the plagarism in his biography. There was no mention of plagarism in his lyrics besides the opening paragraph and a brief mention of that poet.
    Also have a listen to that folk album it's comical in places just how much he borrows. I'll try and dig out a few songs after a while if i can arsed putting on the cd (well finding them!)

And I'm sure if you analyse and folk artist from the same time periods the same charges could be leveed at them.
    Also that interview was the first Joni has given in years. 2006 the last before i think before that one from 2010.
    She's as much a wagon as Bob is a grumpy old sh-ite.

I read the Mojo one she did - is that going back to 2006? - and I just thought 'what a cunt'. I'd be inclined to take anything she says with a pinch of salt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 The Marlboro Man

Who is Joni Mitchell?

Oh ya, yer wan from the sixities. Blue. She really evolved alright.

Dylan is the most covered artist in history. I hate the guy. He never sings Blowin' in the Wind when I see him live. He's a compulsive liar - read any book written on the guy. He cheated on every girl he was with. He did heroin for years, feckin junkie. The dogs in the street knows he steals/stole lyrics.

I hate the way he píssed off his fans at the 02 the other night. Lottie Ryan was on 2FM complaining he didn't sing the favourites. He has never done this, ever. He doesn't care. Fúck you Bob - you were in Cork at the Marquee only a few months ago, and the crowd were raving about your performance.

The most enigmatic and mysterious guy we'll ever see. Have a look at this video. Is it even the same person?

Dylan from the noughties (he stole this lol). Joni Mitchell, where are 'you'?

Bob earlier this year, at the Grammys.. Amazing performance

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

These days it's Tantrums or Sex dressed up as 'love' 'songs'.There's nothing out there that i've heard that's original at all.Re-Hashes of stuff done decades ago.Scratchin' Vinyl is Scratchin the bottom of an empty barrell.N O T H I N G all gone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

But you linked to a page about the plagarism in his biography. There was no mention of plagarism in his lyrics besides the opening paragraph and a brief mention of that poet.

And I'm sure if you analyse and folk artist from the same time periods the same charges could be leveed at them.

I read the Mojo one she did - is that going back to 2006? - and I just thought 'what a cunt'. I'd be inclined to take anything she says with a pinch of salt.

How many examples do you want? Have google if you get bored, he's been doing it from day one. Don't get me wrong, i love some of his stuff but it definitely takes the shine off it when you see him not give credit for where it came from. He'd never get away with it were he starting out today.

Who else was doing the folk thing like Dylan when he started releasing albums, the only ones off the top of my head are the Clancys and they were nothing like Dylan and sang trad songs but always said which songs were trad ones and which were their own.

No idea if it was mojo in 2006, i read the one last year and remember it being said it was her fist interview in almost 5 years. TBH i don't mind her, she's a grumpy shi-te but speaks her mind openly and doesn't dress things up. Refreshing to hear someone say what the actually think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

paddyandy wrote: »
    These days it's Tantrums or Sex dressed up as 'love' 'songs'.There's nothing out there that i've heard that's original at all.Re-Hashes of stuff done decades ago.Scratchin' Vinyl is Scratchin the bottom of an empty barrell.N O T H I N G all gone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have you tried to find decent music at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭beng128

El Pr0n wrote: »
    Have you tried to find decent music at all?

Lets give him a hand, shall we?

In regards to DJing, does this seem like Scratchin the bottem of an empty barrel?

How many examples do you want? Have google if you get bored, he's been doing it from day one. Don't get me wrong, i love some of his stuff but it definitely takes the shine off it when you see him not give credit for where it came from. He'd never get away with it were he starting out today.

But the only article you linked to had no instances of copying in his lyrics, only in his prose. I know there are several instances people have posted on the internet, I'm just saying the article you posted didn't have any.
    Who else was doing the folk thing like Dylan when he started releasing albums, the only ones off the top of my head are the Clancys and they were nothing like Dylan and sang trad songs but always said which songs were trad ones and which were their own.

http://folkmusic.about.com/od/glossary/g/folksong.htm
    The term, "folk song," covers a vast array of musical styles, but is most commonly used to refer to a narrative song that uses traditional melodies to speak on a particular topic. Often, topical folk songs address social and political issues such as work, war, and popular opinion. Many folk songs have been around so long that nobody is entirely sure who their composers were. Often these songs are passed down within a community, and they evolve over time to address the issues of the day. Such songs include "We Shall Overcome," and "I Shall Not be Moved," as well as other spirituals.
    “Dylan liked Donovan before he even saw him. He liked the idea of Donovan. Of course, when Donovan met him he was very excited and decided to play something for him. Dylan said he liked Catch The Wind, but Donovan said, I've written a new song I wanna play for you. So he played a song called My Darling Tangerine Eyes. And it was to the tune of Mr Tambourine Man! And Dylan was sitting there with this funny look on his face, listening to Mr Tambourine Man with these really weird words, trying to keep a straight face. Then Dylan says, Well, you know, that tune ... I have to admit that I haven't written all the tunes I'm credited with but that happens to be one that I did write! I'm sure Donovan never played the song again!” D.A. Pennebaker, director of Don't Look Back.
    No idea if it was mojo in 2006, i read the one last year and remember it being said it was her fist interview in almost 5 years. TBH i don't mind her, she's a grumpy shi-te but speaks her mind openly and doesn't dress things up. Refreshing to hear someone say what the actually think.

An interesting article here about Bob Dylan in relation to the plagiarism charge on the official Joni Mitchell site:
    http://jonimitchell.com/library/print.cfm?id=2390

And there seems to be a history between the two of them:
    http://flavorwire.com/85781/folk-face-off-joni-mitchell-vs-bob-dylan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Bob Dylan was one of those artists I thought I was supposed to like and listened to far too much before I decided, no, I definitely do not enjoy this music at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Everyone secretly loves ABBA

True that.

And The Carpenters:D.

I love most of the Cheesy Music but a lot of people are very shy at showing a tender side...leaves you vulnerable.Out of the rough and tumble we got some beautiful songs that are in a class of their own.Rubber soul was maybe the greatest album ever made.Some Angry and Violent elements can't cope with nice music or nice talk or nice anything they're too disturbed?For them it's Tantrums with Guitars and awful drums.

I love most of the Cheesy Music but a lot of people are very shy at showing a tender side...leaves you vulnerable.Out of the rough and tumble we got some beautiful songs that are in a class of their own

And some people think Cheesy music is cheesy. It's not about them being shy it's about the music being shyte. Don't get me wrong, I have my quilty pleasures and I'm not shy about saying it but some of mushy romantic crap is just that - crap.
    Some Angry and Violent elements can't cope with nice music or nice talk or nice anything they're too disturbed?For them it's Tantrums with Guitars and awful drums.

What a load of horse manure. Some of the gentlest people I know are death metal fans. Music doesn't just have to be background noise to swoon to, it can be exhilaration, it can be a rush. Most people like metal because it's a release, it's invigorating not because they are disturbed. There will probably be more disturbed people listening to Celine Dion than there will be listening to Cannibal Corpse. I'm not a fan of metal but I have two brothers who love it and do you know what out of everyone in our family they are the two mellowest.

' Alter idem' it's called look it up some .Wild comparisons always tell me i got it right somewhere.

You could record the noise in factories and sell it today with an interesting tatoo symbol on the cover......It's cathartic nonsense for angry people.

• Advertisement

' Alter idem' it's called look it up some .Wild comparisons always tell me i got it right somewhere.

Sorry, I've tried making sense out of this post and failed miserably. Do you care to elaborate?

You could record the noise in factories and sell it today with an interesting tatoo symbol on the cover......It's cathartic nonsense for angry people.

You know what, you probably could. There is a fanbase for all types of music. And while people might find the music cathartic, it doesn't necessarily follow that these people will be angry.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

There could be some really interesting sounds in there. And what isn't interesting about the music made my machines? If we're talking about some huge industrial factory like you might imagine from a film, all the processes going on independent of each other, all the processes that do depend on each other, all the rhythms all over the place that seem independent but might make up a huge polyrhythm... What isn't interesting about music coming from things with no brains?

I'm a really angry misunderstood person by the way. I wear leather and boots and black tshirts and I hate my family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

There were artists recording music resembling factory noise back in the 70's, Lou Reed's Metal Machine Music and Throbbing Gristle for example. It's nothing new. You're coming across as an old lady complaining about the "music of today".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Nhead

I think with the Dylan thing people disliking him isn't that unpopular. He is like marmite in that people either love or hate him. On the plagiarism thing he did use rhythms from poetry but that in itself isn't a bad thing as IMO the 4/4 rhythm is so typical in music that a different cadence stands out. With regards plagiarism in his music there is some truth there but by and large a lot of musicians at the time and after were at that: 50s Rock n Roll robbing the blues etc etc. If Dylan was simply a plagiarist he wouldn't have lasted. I actually like the fact he doesn't play CD versions of the songs live, sure they can sound ****e, but live music has gotten so homogenised that we all can actually forget that (1) the live experience is meant to be different from the recorded one( or else why have gigs) and (2)the artist owns the song and can pretty much do what they like with it in a playing sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

El Pr0n wrote: »

Ever been to a performance of this? There's usually a brilliantly awkward moment at the end where nobody really knows whether or not to applaud :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Nhead

I love most of the Cheesy Music but a lot of people are very shy at showing a tender side...leaves you vulnerable.Out of the rough and tumble we got some beautiful songs that are in a class of their own.Rubber soul was maybe the greatest album ever made.Some Angry and Violent elements can't cope with nice music or nice talk or nice anything they're too disturbed?For them it's Tantrums with Guitars and awful drums.

I would agree with you that Rubber Soul has some beautiful songs but the lyrics are caustic and bitter in some of them. Foregrounding how we should be open to all emotions and not just those that people deem 'acceptable'. All The Beatles were from tough backgrounds and during their early career were quite violent and hurtful to those around them, which comes through in their music. I think some people can't deal with angry elements or the darker sides of music they like anodyne background fuzz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

karaokeman wrote: »
    True that.

And The Carpenters:D.

Nothing secret about that they were f ucking brilliant!

I'm fascinated by what people will like i remember something got stuck in the hoover and when switched on it seem to play an interesting few notes and i thought at the time i must tape it but i never did.I think music is a mirror of peoples souls somehow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

I'm fascinated by what people will like i remember something got stuck in the hoover and when switched on it seem to play an interesting few notes and i thought at the time i must tape it but i never did.
    You will be surprised. I once came across a Japanese audio artist, whom I can't remember the name of right now, whose recordings included bowel movements and also song made from a couple having sex over the Japanese national anthem. I think there's even a hoover involved in one of his recordings. But hey it's all in the name of art and some people dig it.

EDIT: found him - The Gerogerigegege
    You can look up some of his recordings on Youtube but discretion is advised :D
    I think music is a mirror of peoples souls somehow.
    Maybe, maybe not. I do know one thing for sure: pop puppets = shallow.

Advertisement