Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your unpopular music opinions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Nah, cake would be too strong. I was thinking along the lines of something that wouldn't make him puke up his pelvis bone…

Anyway he wouldn't be able to listen to normal music on that stuff. His Shatner's Bassoon would be all over the gaff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

El Pr0n wrote: »
    Anyway he wouldn't be able to listen to normal music on that stuff. His Shatner's Bassoon would be all over the gaff.

That's what happens when you listen to music at a modern drugs party. Thankfully, I don't use the horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭onlyrocknroll

It's because he is. If you study his writing style (which I have, by the way), he's quite old fashioned. He deals a lot with very traditional themes and poetic techniques, while mixing it with colloquialisms. When you actually properly read his stuff, the level of time and effort he must put into it is amazing. It's very intricate stuff. On top of that, the writing style very often compliments his style of delivery (the kind of angry, stop-start style of rapping, building tension, etc.) so even when you're reading it, you're reading it the way should be delivered. The feeling from the lyrics is not just in the meanings of the words, but also in the structures of the sentences, rhyming techniques and alliteration, and such. I do not see how anyone who properly listens to his stuff can argue that he's not a great lyricist.

I agree completely that in terms of pure form he is unusually good. Even comparing him to many published poets his command of rhythm and rhyme is breathtaking.

I'm very hard pressed to think of other artists in pop music who compare with him. Leonard Cohan and Bob Dylan. In fact at the risk of getting lynched here, strictly speaking of his command of lyrical energy I would say that Eminem is better than Dylan. Dylan, even at his best, has many unsatisfying breaks in his rhythm. Eminem, even in his most inane and pointless stuff, is always faultless. He is an amazing talent.

The reason I don't like Eminem much is that I think that he's very rarely interesting in terms of content. Most of what he does seems to me to be an attempt to be subversive or shocking, but without being actually clever or worthwhile.

Having said that I'd appreciate it if you'd direct me to some Eminem stuff that would change my mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

I agree completely that in terms of pure form he is unusually good. Even comparing him to many published poets his command of rhythm and rhyme is breathtaking.

I'm very hard pressed to think of other artists in pop music who compare with him. Leonard Cohan and Bob Dylan. In fact at the risk of getting lynched here, strictly speaking of his command of lyrical energy I would say that Eminem is better than Dylan. Dylan, even at his best, has many unsatisfying breaks in his rhythm. Eminem, even in his most inane and pointless stuff, is always faultless. He is an amazing talent.

The reason I don't like Eminem much is that I think that he's very rarely interesting in terms of content. Most of what he does seems to me to be an attempt to be subversive or shocking, but without being actually clever or worthwhile.

Having said that I'd appreciate it if you'd direct me to some Eminem stuff that would change my mind.

Huge Eminem fan but I have to say that Bob is the greater lyricist.

I always just thought he liked rapping as the Slim Shady character. Slim Shady shoots mots and kills and rapes and all, Eminem just likes the story.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

karaokeman wrote: »
    Please tell me what's wrong with these lyrics you just referred to?

Brilliant.

Needs more music.

Kold wrote: »
    It's starting to irk me.

You love it really.
    Thankfully not one closet Justin Bieber fan has posted here yet.

Bieber > majority of crap you listen to. He's pop and pretends to be nothing else.
    Temaz wrote: »
    Huge Eminem fan but I have to say that Bob is the greater lyricist.

Last thoughts on Woody Guthrie is an amazing piece of writing.

My unpopular opinion.

Karaokeman knows lots about music. - kidding kidding...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Can we have an unwritten rule that writing off whole genres is a no no?

Anyway, not sure if this is an unpopular music opinion but, lyrics aren't overly important to me in music. I listen to the music first and that's what gets me (or not). Lyrics come down the list for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

I think 'The Way I Am' is his best song. It's my favourite of his anyway. I think the lyrics are very, very good, as well as the brilliant delivery. I think 'Cleanin' Out My Closet' has brilliant moments and 'Stan' obviously, in terms of just pure storytelling, is incredible.

Yes, a lot of his content is deliberately shocking and subversive, but that's kinda what makes him such an icon. He came along with this kind of material at just the right time. I remember quite clearly the panic surrounding him when he broke out and the fear that he created particularly among parents. There hadn't been a single artist who had created such a furore just through pure lyrics before.

I also think that having clever or witty lyrics isn't necessarily always the mark of great lyricism. A lot of Eminem's serious stuff, I find, is extremely intense material, and his writing of it often seems like a form of catharsis to me or a method to get stuff off his chest, and often the most effective way of doing that is to just tell it as it is without dressing it up in flowery form. 'The Way I Am' is quite interesting in my opinion and part of why I love that song (one of my favourite songs ever) is because it's addressing a lot of what people were saying about him at that time. It wasn't an attempt at being shocking, it was just a 'f*ck you' to the media and everyone who was trying to pin blame on him for "corrupting our children" and other such rubbish. It comes across as genuinely angry, and some pretty clever wordplay in it. The delivery of it is also one of the greatest deliveries of any song I've ever heard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

adox wrote: »
    Anyway, not sure if this is an unpopular music opinion but, lyrics aren't overly important to me in music. I listen to the music first and that's what gets me (or not). Lyrics come down the list for me.
    Yeah I kind of agree with you there. It depends on the style of music though, if it's a singer-songwriter you are listening to lyrics are going to be a bit more important but with bands like Sigur Ros, Cocteau Twins and My Bloody Valentine the lyrics aren't the slightest bit important. Most of the bands I listen to I couldn't really care less about their lyrics.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

lordgoat wrote: »
    Bieber > majority of crap you listen to. He's pop and pretends to be nothing else.

You do realise you just called Justin Bieber better than Noel Gallagher:eek:.

Another unpopular opinion.

Lordgoat knows what music I listen to - Not

We've had this argument many times, you don't know me personally so you have no way of substantiating your claims.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,279 ✭✭✭Lady Chuckles

I hate most music they play on the radio... :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

No. Metal sucks. There I said it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

How about just writing off the opinions of certain posters? Everything that Kold likes sucks. There I said it.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭ciaranmac

You would need to change the thread title then.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭lewisdhead

Jeff Buckley is so over-rated.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

What Music ? i don't hear ANYTHING.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

You do realise you just called Justin Bieber better than Noel Gallagher:eek:.

Another unpopular opinion.

Lordgoat knows what music I listen to - Not

We've had this argument many times, you don't know me personally so you have no way of substantiating your claims.
    I can honestly say I've never, ever heard anything by Justin Bieber.... but I bet he is better than Noel Gallagher. :pac:

Adyx wrote: »
    I can honestly say I've never, ever heard anything by Justin Bieber

You're better off, he's dire, boring, bland and makes utterly appalling, diabolic and crap music.

What about all the posters here who have written off music altogether? At least by dismissing one genre they are still open to other types of music, but comments like these are just ott.
    jacksprat wrote: »
    I'll give you unpopular! MUSIC IS ****E

You're better off, he's dire, boring, bland and makes utterly appalling, diabolic and crap music.

I don't see why everyone hates him so much - he doesn't pretend to be anything else than that, and he's very very good at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

I don't see why everyone hates him so much - he doesn't pretend to be anything else than that, and he's very very good at it.

Why does a lack of pretension matter? That doesn't have any bearing on the quality of the music with which he's affiliated.

• Advertisement

Sinfonia wrote: »
    Why does a lack of pretension matter? That doesn't have any bearing on the quality of the music with which he's affiliated.

He's pop and his target audience is young girls. Much akin to westlife, back street boys, boyzone etc. I have nothing against him, he can stick to doing that and it will not affect me in the slightest.

Once you're pop, you've set your stall out, you can't really change. Unless you're Bressie, who went from making sh-ite pop songs with the blizzards to making sh-ite pop songs on his own. Oh wait...

Once you're pop, you've set your stall out, you can't really change. Unless you're Bressie, who went from making sh-ite pop songs with the blizzards to making sh-ite pop songs on his own. Oh wait...

And this is coming from the guy who said;
    I think pop music is often overlooked.

:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

And this is coming from the guy who said;

:p

I don't expect you to be able to understand it. Maybe if i could type it all in smilies you would. Alas i can't dumb it down that much. soz.

Maybe if i could type it all in smilies you would..

That's a high quality sentence, still lolling :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

kerash wrote: »
    Wow.. it's like Sigur Ros or one of those other girly post rock groups. Uncanny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Mindkiller wrote: »
    Wow.. it's like Sigur Ros or one of those other girly post rock groups. Uncanny.
    Unrelated to that Justin Bieber video, what's so girly about post-rock?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

I'm joking. I listen to post-rock. When I can find the time, that is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

The stone roses ripped off The lurkers' song Out in the dark for their sound!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭whatislife

The first 5 tracks off Hot Fuss by the Killers are top quality pop rock songs.

The rest of the album is garbage but those 5 songs are quality.

In my opinion of course.

1. "Jenny Was a Friend of Mine" Flowers, Stoermer 4:04 2. "Mr. Brightside" Flowers, Keuning 3:42 3. "Smile Like You Mean It" Flowers, Stoermer 3:54 4. "Somebody Told Me" Flowers, Keuning, Stoermer, Vannucci 3:17 5. "All These Things That I've Done"

Advertisement