Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your unpopular music opinions

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

karaokeman wrote: »

The reality of it is Take That are a genuine band. They can all sing, they play instruments and they write their own songs. For the vast, vast majority of boybands it is the complete opposite. That is all I am trying to say.

What instruments do they play? Do they play them onstage? In their videos? In the recording studio on all their albums?

Just curious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Yes a genuine band and they're so good at their instruments they can play them with no hands

Also if they are a real band then why do they get session musicians to play the music on their albums? I know Gary Barlow can play keyboards by the way but what about the rest of them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭Duke Leonal Felmet

El Pr0n wrote: »
    If the Sex Pistols didn't, who did?

God knows, but they were playing rock and roll. That's for damn sure. Don't be fooled by style so easily.
    Care to elaborate?

No. They are simply sh!t.
    Apart from The Rolling Stones your WAY off.

Even musicians who limit themselves to one scale?

Aww....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

God knows, but they were playing rock and roll. That's for damn sure. Don't be fooled by style so easily.

That's what punk was, it was simplistic rock and roll by angry amateurs. That original kind of punk is defined by it's approach and motivation and feeling, not the way it sounds.

Since, punk has come to mean a particular sound, sure, but Sex Pistols started punk, and imo, The Clash perfected it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

But how can you prove that Take That's new found success is entirely unrelated to an increasing new fan base?

I never claimed that I can prove anything. But then neither can you. Unless you have interviewed all the fans that have only started liking the group since they reformed?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭viadah

I have actually interviewed all the fans that have only started liking Take That since they reformed. They all have lovely haircuts and fancy jeans for the most part, and the vast majority of them were bullies in school surprisingly enough. All the rest of them have lovely photos of their toddlers.

viadah wrote: »
    I have actually interviewed all the fans that have only started liking Take That since they reformed. They all have lovely haircuts and fancy jeans for the most part, and the vast majority of them were bullies in school surprisingly enough. All the rest of them have lovely photos of their toddlers.

Did they tell you whether they were fans because of the new music or for nostalgic reasons, by any chance?!

Neither as it happens, they saw them on the telly and that seemed sufficient reason to buy the albums.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

What instruments do they play? Do they play them onstage? In their videos? In the recording studio on all their albums?

Just curious.

Take That do all play instruments, maybe not for every song of their setlist but they do throw them in there at a few parts of the show. Reason is that while they can play instruments, all five of them are more showmans for the most part. They do however use instruments in the studio while writing songs and for recording the final product. On tour they play instruments for a few songs, most of the set is just singing but you will see for example Jason or Mark playing guitar on 3 or 4 songs, Gary plays a paino medley of 5-6 songs, Howard plays drums for a few also.

Mark Owen playing guitar for anyone who cares to watch.

I never claimed that I can prove anything. But then neither can you. Unless you have interviewed all the fans that have only started liking the group since they reformed?!

No I haven't and neither have you but the fact remains they couldn't sell out venues as big in the 90s but now they can, coincidence much, I don't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭CaoimH_in

El Pr0n wrote: »
    That's what punk was, it was simplistic rock and roll by angry amateurs. That original kind of punk is defined by it's approach and motivation and feeling, not the way it sounds.

Vivenne Westwood and Malcolm McLaren used The Sex Pistols as a way to sell clothes, no? Does that no go violently against any sort of anti-conforming punk ideas?

Thats a pretty basic way in which they might not be seen as punk.

I have it from good sources Lydon's standards when it comes to butter, mind.

• Advertisement

No I haven't and neither have you but the fact remains they couldn't sell out venues as big in the 90s but now they can, coincidence much, I don't think so.

And neither did e Stone Roses. Your point is absolutely moot, I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

CaoimH_in wrote: »
    Vivenne Westwood and Malcolm McLaren used The Sex Pistols as a way to sell clothes, no? Does that no go violently against any sort of anti-conforming punk ideas?

Thats a pretty basic way in which they might not be seen as punk.

Yeah, I get you, but that whole thing was still rebelling against something, right? The 'establishment' if you will... The Sex Pistols were all about being angry at 'the man', but so was Westwood and McLaren's shop, Sex, wasn't it? Sure maybe the band was part of the shop's campaign, but that campaign overall was still complaining about things, or at least trying to reject those things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

No. They are simply sh!t.

Even musicians who limit themselves to one scale?

Aww....

Lots of great music is about energy and passion and ideas. I'm not a musician so I don't know or care about scales, Pixies had great tunes thats all I care about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

• Registered Users Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭dasdog

This may not be too unpopular but I would rate Dean Martin as one of the all time greatest singers and far superior to his cohorts in the Rat Pack. Not only was he a great singer, but he was a truly fantastic comedian, a damn fine actor and as close to cool incarnate as you can get. The really don't make them like him anymore.

This is one of my all time favorite moments of Television

I'll raise you Sammy Davis Junior just to get away from the amateur talk.

Rock music in the top 40 singles chart is dead now.

Nolanger wrote: »

The charts aren't important anymore.

Any owl crap can make it to #1 nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

The charts aren't important anymore.

Any owl crap can make it to #1 nowadays.

The charts were never important.

Vertigo, what a tune:D

Suas11 wrote: »
    The charts were never important.

I have to disagree, in the 80's, when I were a lad, it was great to see the likes of The Cure, Echo and the Bunnyman, New Order and The Smiths etc chart so you could see them on TOTP which was, apart from the superior TUBE one of the only ways of seeing your fave bands back in the day, I can still remember how exciting it was to see New Order playing live on the Pops in 83. The net and xfactor have, I agree made the charts completely irrelevant nowadays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Hip-Hop has much better lyrics than other genres.

Not unpopular but it is Beatles over stones and oasis over blur, always.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

I have no idea how the Kings of Leon and Red Hot Chilli Peppers are so popular in this country.

Lady GaGa is sh*t. Just because she dresses up funny doesn't make the same old pop bollox any more interesting. And she is ****ing NOT the new Freddie Mercury, who the **** was on what ****en drugs to dream that up?

Don't get me wrong though, I totally would.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Dark Artist

Evanescence released a new album recently that went to No.1 in the states, so it's not completely dead - which leads me to an unpopular musical opinion of mine, which is that they are a very underrated band.

How can a bleedin' album get into the singles charts? Rock music has been dead over here since about 2007. There isn't even one rock band in the top 40 singles charts now.

There isn't even one rock band in the top 40 singles charts now.

Coldplay and snow patrol are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Coldplay and snow patrol are.

So yep, no rock bands in the single chart atm.

baz2009 wrote: »
    So yep, no rock bands in the single chart atm.

Though they could be considered wimp rock, no?

Well, it is the charts.

All genres only have watered down versions in them, even r&b.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

CaoimH_in wrote: »

The Pistols had no "ideas" about conformity or anything for that matter, their words were nothing more than adolescent drivel, their lyrics will show you that. Or watch a Lydon interview, especially around the PIL era, he hadn't got a clue what he was talking about, he made up flimsy ideals on the spot.

Advertisement