Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your unpopular music opinions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

gudwan wrote: »
    I find it hard to understand how you, or anyone, could really like it. But, on the subject of unpopular Radiohead opinions, I think that Pablo Honey is all right. Not great, but all right.

It's a really good little portrait of someone (maybe Thom himself?) with a LOT of problems, it really puts you in that place with all those worries that the voice talks about. A lot of people I've spoken to about Radiohead don't like it 'cause it's too freaky or makes them uncomfortable or something, but that's exactly why it's great, it does all that so well.

I agree with you on Pablo Honey. A few great tracks on that. Anyone Can Play Guitar, Blowout, You, Ripcord and Prove Yourself all stick out in my mind, I like those.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭gudwan

El Pr0n wrote: »
    It's a really good little portrait of someone (maybe Thom himself?) with a LOT of problems, it really puts you in that place with all those worries that the voice talks about. A lot of people I've spoken to about Radiohead don't like it 'cause it's too freaky or makes them uncomfortable or something, but that's exactly why it's great, it does all that so well.

I agree with you on Pablo Honey. A few great tracks on that. Anyone Can Play Guitar, Blowout, You, Ripcord and Prove Yourself all stick out in my mind, I like those.

Oh, I agree that it fits thematically, but the track is so incredibly grating to me musically that after a few listens (and my itunes says OK Computer has received many listens) I had no desire to ever hear it again. I wish I could like it though - I always like having albums I can listen through without skipping a track.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Could never get my head around how he, and Al Green were in the top 20 of The Rolling Stones 100 Greatest Singers of all time.

Yeah, but those lists are ridiculous. There all heavily biased and have a lot of questionable listings. For example, thats singers lists has Axl Rose at 64 and Bono at 32

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I really do hate rap and R&B

How many rap songs and albums have you really honestly listened to? (and don't say "I've listened to loads and they're all shíte")

If you're basing your opinion just on what you hear in the charts, from the likes of Florida and Drake, then I really feel sorry for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

Nolanger wrote: »
    The only grime artist worth listening to is Wiley. The others are watered-down, commercial sh*te.

I love Wiley, but Jeeeeeeesus, i don't know where to even begin....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

I can't stand Muse.

Radiohead are extremely overrated.

"Pop" is U2's best album.

Dire Straits' first three albums are brilliant and don't get the props they deserve.

Never really liked Bob Dylan.

Rolling Stones albums are all really patchy, and badly produced.

Take That are the best pop band, probably of all time.

My favourite Beatle is Paul McCartney.

The Sex Pistols are rubbish.

Ditto The Ramones.

The Clash I find very boring.

I love Yes, and prog rock in general.

Be Here Now is my favourite Oasis album.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

The Cure sounded best when they were a punk band, not a gloomy goth troup or a pop group, ergo they have one good album.

Song based example....

Grinding Halt > One Hundred Years > Friday I'm In Love.

Singers who can actually sing are annoying, prone to showing off and samey.

Electric Wizard are the greatest metal band of all time.

Guitar solos: Less is more, see D. Boon.

Frank Zappa should have quit after his Doo Wop album, his fusion stuff sounds like a man **** into my ear and his jokes weren't funny.

The Man In Me is my favorite Bob Dylan song.

The Flaming Lips are the definitive representation of the evils of Prog Rock.

Strychnine by The Sonics is better than any Beatles song you can think of.

smokedeels wrote: »
    Singers who can actually sing are annoying, prone to showing off and samey.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

The Beatles have every right to be overhyped. They were revolutionary for their time and made so many musical breakthroughs.

KOL used to be good but they have sold out in their last two albums.

Likewise with Muse, although not to the same extent.

Radiohead are overrated, never really liked them.

Rammstein are awesome.

U2 used to be good but are **** now.

ABBA are possibly the most overrated band of all time.

QOTSA are the most underrated rock band around today, and should really be way more popular than they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

NufcNavan wrote: »

Likewise with Muse, although not to the same extent.

I hate this attitude some of my friends would be of the same opinion, how have they sold out? What you really mean is there music has gone to the masses who eventually realised they were good bands, and now becuase the masses like them there not cool enough for you anymore.

Although I am with you on QOTSA one of my favourite bands out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

I hate this attitude some of my friends would be of the same opinion, how have they sold out? What you really mean is there music has gone to the masses who eventually realised they were good bands, and now becuase the masses like them there not cool enough for you anymore.

Their style has completely changed since their first two (fantastic) albums. Because of the Times then went in a bit of new direction, while not typical KoL stuff it was still a very good album. Everything since then has been f*cking woeful, poppy mainstream sh*te typified with "Woah" chanting, lazy lazy guitar solos and awful lyrics. No more songs about knife fights in the back garden, its all pop rock love bollox. Also not to mention their boy band makeover when they started to go poppy...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

You just pretty much answered your own question. No problem in people liking your music on a widespread scale, it's when bands change their style in order to appeal to a bigger audience (i.e make more money) that I don't like.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

NufcNavan wrote: »

That's definitely not an unpopular music opinion, it's really cool not to like Kings of Leon now dontcha know? And the phrase 'selling out' really annoys me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

Adyx wrote: »
    *Radiohead went shít after The Bends.
    :eek:

true

Slow Show wrote: »
    That's definitely not an unpopular music opinion, it's really cool not to like Kings of Leon now dontcha know? And the phrase 'selling out' really annoys me.

It's nothing to do with not liking them being 'cool'. More to do with them being an unadventurous backward-looking mediocre rock band who don't try anything new or different with their music. Imo of course.

A lot of opinions on this thread are utter gash

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Dr. Bad Touch

I don't get dubstep

I hate Pendulum with a passion

I love simply red's holding back the years

and Mark Morrison's return of the mack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

I don't get dubstep
    Wait until dubstep metal comes out!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Actually I was thinking about dubstep the other day, it's kinda funny because it's such a hipster dream. It was better when it was fresh about 4 or 5 years back. These days it was become an absolute parody of itself with wobbles and 'omg so dirti XD' bass put over very bland and boring beats. But now I've seen everything and anything being labeled dubstep as babbies first electronic kids stream to Skrillex and Deadmau5 without copping the difference. But as things get more and more popular, it gets a little watered down so I guess when Britney brings out her next comeback album with a couple of wob wob wob tracks, that'll legitimately be dubstep too?

Kold wrote: »
    Britney brings out her next comeback album with a couple of wob wob wob tracks, that'll legitimately be dubstep too?

Didn't she already do that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭AhSureTisGrand

Actually I was thinking about dubstep the other day, it's kinda funny because it's such a hipster dream. It was better when it was fresh about 4 or 5 years back.

Plus they can talk now about how they listen to "post-dubstep"

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭floutingmaxims

I really cant see what there is to like about Dubstep

I love Blues/Bluegrass music

Imogen Heap is my favourite artist ever (most people haven't even heard of her..) :confused:

I hate listening to Spin/Spin SW because i think the top 10 hits they have on are absolute drivel

• Registered Users Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

I hate The National. I've no idea how they're so well liked and respected by music fans who otherwise I respect a lot. They're songs are so boring and uncatchy, devoid of hooks or riffs. And I've given their albums loads of chances, it's just not happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭lemd

The Verve, most overrated band I have ever heard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

Actually I was thinking about dubstep the other day, it's kinda funny because it's such a hipster dream. It was better when it was fresh about 4 or 5 years back. These days it was become an absolute parody of itself with wobbles and 'omg so dirti XD' bass put over very bland and boring beats. But now I've seen everything and anything being labeled dubstep as babbies first electronic kids stream to Skrillex and Deadmau5 without copping the difference. But as things get more and more popular, it gets a little watered down so I guess when Britney brings out her next comeback album with a couple of wob wob wob tracks, that'll legitimately be dubstep too?

Yeah Britney has already worked with a couple of dubstep producers but I'm not sure how much of it surfaced. Dubstep in the has become a parody of itself and with the rising popularity of brostep as played by Skrillex it is set to be as despised as rap metal was. But it's the cross pollination of it with other genres like house and techno that has create the most positive impact with the likes of the artists releasing work on the likes of the peerless Hot Flush label. Artists like Joy Orbison, James Blake and Martyn are taking dubstep to different and interesting places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

I dislike 99.9% of modern mainstream music INCLUDING Mainstream rock and metal,
    But that pales in comparison to my hatred of dance/techno/trance/scanger music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

This seems to be unpopular, but shouldn't be:

Hip hop has some of the best lyricists of all time.

Also, Smashing Pumpkins were always better than Nirvana.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭francois

Beady Eye are sh1te

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭floutingmaxims

francois wrote: »
    Beady Eye are sh1te

Think you'll actually find an overwhelming amount of people will agree with you on this one. They are chronic!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭YodaBoy

Beady Eye is Oasis ..but just not catchy or good in any musical sense.

Nirvana, Guns 'n' Roses and all of their contemporaries are white noise

I once found my foot to be uncontrollably tapping to Jedward - Lipstick during the Eurovision :pac:

..and yes, I've just admitted I watched the Eurovision :o

Dubstep is something I don't understand and I have no intention of trying.

but worst of all..

brace yourselves...

....I Love Ne-Yo and Pitbull's "Give Me Everything" :eek:

Advertisement