Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your unpopular music opinions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭purplepanda

Syd Barratt with Pink Floyd is cool, without is mostly ****e

Jimi Hendrix is better than all Metal & Hard Rock bands combined because he could actually write pop songs, Crosstown Traffic, Wind Cries Mary, Hey Joe ect & have chart hits, even number ones!!

The Byrds are the most underrated band of the '60's

Love's Foreever Changes one of the best albums ever

The Who made some of the best ever 65-68 rock music & afterwards turned into ****e,

Rolling Stones are ****e after Brian Jones died

The Small Faces were great

The Jam were the best band of their generation

The Smith's were cool. And Echo & the Bunnymen

The Stone Roses reunion gigs are totally sad

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

I don't think those opinions are too unpopular

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭paddymayoman

Syd Barratt with Pink Floyd is cool, without is mostly ****e

Jimi Hendrix is better than all Metal & Hard Rock bands combined because he could actually write pop songs, Crosstown Traffic, Wind Cries Mary, Hey Joe ect & have chart hits, even number ones!!

The Byrds are the most underrated band of the '60's

Love's Foreever Changes one of the best albums ever

The Who made some of the best ever 65-68 rock music & afterwards turned into ****e,

Rolling Stones are ****e after Brian Jones died

The Jam were the best band of their generation

The Stone Roses reunion gigs are totally sad
    Is the Stone Roses gig in dublin going ahead?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Yeah it was the last time I checked anyway. 5th July in the Phoenix Park.

Yeah it was the last time I checked anyway. 5th July in the Phoenix Park.
    Cheers the only reason i ask is that i heard the drummer stormed off the stage at a gig in germany or something like that

• Advertisement

SdoowSirhc wrote: »
    Saying you like David Guetta does not make you a dance music expert
    Agree x10 i wouldnt even call it dance music,its more pop music to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Cheers the only reason i ask is that i heard the drummer stormed off the stage at a gig in germany or something like that

Thats right something about him not wanting to do an encore. Apparently Brown cursed him out in front of the audience because of it. Hopefully all is forgiven now, I've a worried feeling though that something else will happen and they'll implode as a band once again before long.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭zero_

- Tom Waits is awful
    - Leonard Cohen is awful
    - Ray Manzarek is the worst interviewee to listen to ('Man when Morrison lit a joint it was like a spark that ignited a generation')
    - Reggae is boring
    - The Who are really bad and incredibly over-rated

- I do LIKE plenty of music!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Zero1986 wrote: »
    I know some people who creamed over their last album Hidden. I gave it a couple of listens and it did nothing for me whatsoever. I know the band are trying to do something different and I respect them for that, but their music just seems so devoid of life and feeling. At least there's plenty of other good British bands to listen to instead.

I've listened to the album in full now. God, what a chore. So dull. If anyone wants to see my short written review of it you can check out the RYM link in my sig below.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭tr0llface

Asking Alexandria are absolutely ****e and their lead singer is a cocky fecker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Ice Cube and Andre 3000 are the greatest rappers ever born.
    Drake and Lil wayne are the 2 worst musicians alive, in any genre.

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Throw in flo rida to the mix with dddddavy g providing the ****ty beats and you have a hit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »

I'd add that I think Andre 3000 is one of the most talented and versatile musicians currently making music.

I'd also like to add Vanilla Ice to the "worst musicians alive" list.

• Site Banned Posts: 236 ✭✭vader65

I think the Beatles are overrated

I agree the Beatles are OVERRATED!

I have the strangest taste in Music ever, I like Nirvana, Foo Fighters, Pink Floyd but then I also love Taylor Swift, Avril Lavinge, its just crazy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

vader65 wrote: »
    I agree the Beatles are OVERRATED!

I have the strangest taste in Music ever, I like Nirvana, Foo Fighters, Pink Floyd but then I also love Taylor Swift, Avril Lavinge, its just crazy!

Nothing wrong with that, I love Dylan, Young, Gallagher, Cohen, Waits but I also enjoy Rihanna and think Cheryl Cole's new album has some fantastic dance-pop tracks.

Listen to what you enjoy!

• Site Banned Posts: 236 ✭✭vader65

Temaz wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with that, I love Dylan, Young, Gallagher, Cohen, Waits but I also enjoy Rihanna and think Cheryl Cole's new album has some fantastic dance-pop tracks.

Listen to what you enjoy!

Awesome! I know i like what I like but its kinda funny one minute rocking out to Metallica then bobbing around to One Direction lol

Like Music Mood Swings lol :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Awesome! I know i like what I like but its kinda funny one minute rocking out to Metallica then bobbing around to One Direction lol

+1 I would have thought this thread would have established that simple fact by 108 pages.

Some people do enjoy all types of music, whether they are bad or good, and who cares in the end? It doesn't make us any less of a "music fan" than anyone else, it just means those guilty pleasures appeal to us and not to others, but others will have guilty pleasures we hate.

I listen to Iron Maiden, Pearl Jam and Nirvana one minute and then listen to crap like Girls Aloud, Katy Perry etc. But it doesn't mean I like all manufactured rubbish, I know people who love The Wanted and I hate them, I only like one One Direction song, its all a matter of subjectivity.

The world would be boring if everyone listened to the exact same artists and bands, admitting differentiality in tastes shows you know how to embrace variation, which you will need to experience when you visit any other cultures.

+1 I would have thought this thread would have established that simple fact by 108 pages.

Some people do enjoy all types of music, whether they are bad or good, and who cares in the end? It doesn't make us any less of a "music fan" than anyone else, it just means those guilty pleasures appeal to us and not to others, but others will have guilty pleasures we hate.

I listen to Iron Maiden, Pearl Jam and Nirvana one minute and then listen to crap like Girls Aloud, Katy Perry etc. But it doesn't mean I like all manufactured rubbish, I know people who love The Wanted and I hate them, I only like one One Direction song, its all a matter of subjectivity.

The world would be boring if everyone listened to the exact same artists and bands, admitting differentiality in tastes shows you know how to embrace variation, which you will need to experience in any other cultures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

How does liking some internationally famous North American acts and Pink Floyd count as crazy or strange?

Malice wrote: »
    How does liking some internationally famous North American acts and Pink Floyd count as crazy or strange?

Other people consider it strange/weird to like those technically proficient bands at the same time as liking manufacured pop acts.

i.e. I like The Smiths and I also like Rihanna etc

I have a friend whose a huge metal head and also likes some Ke$ha songs, there's nothing more to it, some people are just plain into everything.

• Advertisement

But that's not really explaining why it's considered crazy or strange, that's just re-stating the same thing again. If that poster had said they really like something relatively obscure like Serbian hip hop for example, despite not being able to understand the lyrics, without having any ties to the country and knowing nothing about it other than it's where Nemanja Vidić is from then I would consider that strange.

I'm pretty sure everyone on this forum has been exposed to Nirvana, Foo Fighters, Pink Floyd etc. whether intentionally or not. The likes of Iskaz or Škabo, not so much.

I'm pretty sure everyone on this forum has been exposed to Nirvana, Foo Fighters, Pink Floyd etc. whether intentionally or not. The likes of Iskaz or Škabo, not so much.

But the reason everyone's heard music from Nirvana, Foos etc is because they are all mainstream bands.

The likes of Iskaz and Skabo are not mainstream, they are as you say obscure, their music is known to a minority and not a majority like someone like Pink Floyd. And that all comes down to where people look when they're searching out non-mainstream music, I for example found Mindy Smith, Majella Murphy, Dave Kenningham, She & Him and others who many on this forum and people I know in general have never heard of, but other people have found non-mainstream acts I've never heard of before.

Some people look in different places than others to find music, and everyone finds different music to listen to.

karaokeman wrote: »
    But the reason everyone's heard music from Nirvana, Foos etc is because they are all mainstream bands.
    Yes I know, that's why I'm curious how they count as crazy or strange :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Yes I know, that's why I'm curious how they count as crazy or strange :).

Because that's how they roll. They are just crazy! Appletinis with the girls! Fancy dress parties! Staying up late on weeknights! Crazy!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

I'd add that I think Andre 3000 is one of the most talented and versatile musicians currently making music.

And that is a fact, The love below is one of the most unique and brilliant projects i've ever heard from a musician, the lad is seriously gifted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

The Cribs are better than the Arctic Monkeys

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

The point is that of the grand wealth of music that exists, the artists listed are not very different from each other at all, so the post reads like "I like mainstream popular music AND mainstream popular music lol I'm so random xx"

In other words, Malice is pointing out (if I may) that if you're aware of Serbian hip-hop (or Norwegian avant-garde jazz, or Indian raga, or 21st-century art music or the multitude of 20th-century movements, or music of the late Baroque, or Ryukyuan/Okinawan music, etc. ad nauseum), then Foo Fighters and Avril Lavigne may as well be the same thing.

Sinfonia wrote: »
    then Foo Fighters and Avril Lavigne may as well be the same thing.

So they are both pop acts, think thats pretty much established barr the Foo Fighters fanboys who refuse to admit their favourite band is a pop band.

There are still people who like Foos but not Avril, and likewise Avril and not Foos.

But I agree most forms of art music are in a different category completely and their music as I have pointed out is not known by as many because it has a minority fanbase while Foos/Avril have a majority.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Serbian hip-hop is vastly overrated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

So they are both pop acts, think thats pretty much established barr the Foo Fighters fanboys who refuse to admit their favourite band is a pop band.

There are still people who like Foos but not Avril, and likewise Avril and not Foos.

But I agree most forms of art music are in a different category completely and their music as I have pointed out is not known by as many because it has a minority fanbase while Foos/Avril have a majority.

This is the sentence that Malice (and he/she ain't alone) had a problem with:
    I have the strangest taste in Music ever

Advertisement