Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your unpopular music opinions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Icarus Wings

Why does it seem like every new song (particularly of the pop genre) released at the moment has a rap section thrown in? It appears to be a mandatory requirement...My left eye twitches whenever I hear the word "Featuring" or "Ft".

Both genres are perfectly fine on their own without the need to combine them together - like mixing Rice Krispies with lasagne!:eek: I do have the odd exception to the rule though - I've a soft spot for Billionaire with Travie McCoy and Bruno Mars!

I would much rather prefer to listen to Maroon 5 - Payphone (without Wiz Khalifa), Taylor Swift - Both of Us (without B.o.B) and Bruno Mars - Lighters (without Eminem) etc.

Phew, I've finally gotten that out of my system...I think I'll be ok now!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭SChique00

I think Nirvana are ridiculously overrated. I mean they were good, but they weren't exactly godlike, were they?
    They're not my favourite band (still in the top 5!) but I do believe Queen were the greatest band to ever walk the earth.
    I detest "We Are Young" by Fun. People give out about how it being overplayed is what ruined its appeal, but it was never appealing! It's crappy...
    Despite being an almighty worshipper of The Boss, I don't like "Born In The USA" - the song or the album. IMO this was his lowest and shallowest point as a musician and songwriter :L

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Ice Cube and Andre 3000 are the greatest rappers ever born.

I started off loving Andre. I bought "The Love Below/Speakerboxxx" album and completely ignored Big Boi's cd and listened entirely to Andre's. After a few years I began to realise just how good Big Boi is. It's hard for me to say which is better but I'd have Big Boi just ahead on the basis of his solo album. That was just amazing.

Andre needs to stop doing those films and get back in the studio. He has the rest of his life to makes movies. He might not have all that long left in the rap game.
    Drake and Lil wayne are the 2 worst musicians alive, in any genre.

I don't think that's really an unpopular opinion :P. I do have one friend who has Wayne down as his favourite artist. I remember having an argument with another lad who claimed Wayne was the greatest. Just because you call yourself the greatest doesn't mean you are.

He was alright back in the day when he was releasing mixtapes. Then he fell way, way off. His rhymes are sloppy and his lyrics are indistinguishable now. It's like he's become a parody of himself.

Drake is a fool. I'd love if he just quit. Then again he can be used as a tester to check whether someone knows anything about rap and music in general.

Why does it seem like every new song (particularly of the pop genre) released at the moment has a rap section thrown in? It appears to be a mandatory requirement...My left eye twitches whenever I hear the word "Featuring" or "Ft".

Both genres are perfectly fine on their own without the need to combine them together - like mixing Rice Krispies with lasagne!:eek: I do have the odd exception to the rule though - I've a soft spot for Billionaire with Travie McCoy and Bruno Mars!

I would much rather prefer to listen to Maroon 5 - Payphone (without Wiz Khalifa), Taylor Swift - Both of Us (without B.o.B) and Bruno Mars - Lighters (without Eminem) etc.

Phew, I've finally gotten that out of my system...I think I'll be ok now!:D

"Lighters" isn't a Bruno Mars song. It's by Eminem and Royce Da 5'9, collectively known as Bad Meets Evil. Mars is alright but you could put any singer in there really and it'd be the same. It's the verses from Eminem and Royce that make it imo.

The reason those artists are featured is because they are all singles, and it's all about singles and downloads these days. Putting Wiz Khalifa on a track will open up the single to a whole different genre of listeners.

It's commercial suicide really if an artist doesn't have a big feature on their album. Even the latest Nas album has features from Mary J Blige, Amy Winehouse and Rick "the biggest joke in rap" Ross. Only the Ross song is going to be a single I think but I'm certain the only reason he's on it is to boost sales. Nas raps rings around Ross in his sleep, there's no reason for him to be on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

I'd say Gift of Gab from Blackalicious, absolutely obsessed with this guy lately. Everything he says is gold.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

rcaz wrote: »

I'd say Gift of Gab from Blackalicious, absolutely obsessed with this guy lately. Everything he says is gold.

No chance of that lads tongue getting twisted!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Kanye west may be a dickhead but he's the best mainstream hip hop producer out there at the moment, the lad is not to be underestimated. His first 2 albums are completely flawless.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

His first 2 albums are completely flawless.

His last album is pretty much flawless too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

Suas11 wrote: »
    His last album is pretty much flawless too

Yep. Amazing record.

He's also a brilliant live performer, his gig last month with Jay was phenomenal. I dont understand why he gets so much stick, he's one of the few hip hop producers out there with a bit of soul in his music, some of his stuff is like a mixture of J Dilla and RZA with a modern twist on it.

• Advertisement

He's also a brilliant live performer, his gig last month with Jay was phenomenal.

I was at that and it was fantastic.

I also notice that people who dislike his music tend to mention the fact that they think he's an asshole, as if that has something to do with his music or why they don't listen to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭johnROSS

"smells like teen spirit" is the most overrated alternative song there is. A lot of my friends are into Foo Fighters, Paramore, etc. but i just don't understand this modern american rock thing, for me it's like biting something with too much sugar in it. Chris Cornell is the best vocalist in modern music, imho. I'm a massive Thin Lizzy fan, but "Jailbreak" is not their best album by any means, i don't get why people are so in love with that album.

Glad to get that off me chest :P

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Icarus Wings

"Lighters" isn't a Bruno Mars song. It's by Eminem and Royce Da 5'9, collectively known as Bad Meets Evil. Mars is alright but you could put any singer in there really and it'd be the same. It's the verses from Eminem and Royce that make it imo.

The reason those artists are featured is because they are all singles, and it's all about singles and downloads these days. Putting Wiz Khalifa on a track will open up the single to a whole different genre of listeners.

It's commercial suicide really if an artist doesn't have a big feature on their album. Even the latest Nas album has features from Mary J Blige, Amy Winehouse and Rick "the biggest joke in rap" Ross. Only the Ross song is going to be a single I think but I'm certain the only reason he's on it is to boost sales. Nas raps rings around Ross in his sleep, there's no reason for him to be on it.

Thanks for the clarification! You've helped me to get to the core problem - a cynical pursuit of high download figures...There just doesn't seem to be a deep consideration of the final product!

Maybe I'm being a little naive, since it is called the music industry for a reason. What I'm really not a fan of is those kind of gimmicks! If that's all we have to look forward to in the future with particular music genres...:(

It was the greatest night of my life, If they ever come back here, solo or together I'll go to see them.

Thanks for the clarification! You've helped me to get to the core problem - a cynical pursuit of high download figures...There just doesn't seem to be a deep consideration of the final product!

Maybe I'm being a little naive, since it is called the music industry for a reason. What I'm really not a fan of is those kind of gimmicks! If that's all we have to look forward to in the future with particular music genres...:(

In the case of some rap singles the featured artists are on it more because they can actually sing than for downloads alone. Eminem cannot sing a hook. He has tried but he is woefully bad. Kanye is so bad that he needs auto-tune.

50 Cent and Chamillionaire are the two best hook singers in the mainstream rap business. Almost everyone else sucks.

As a result they need to bring in someone to do the singing part. I wouldn't put all of the blame on looking for downloads but when Rihanna is featured on a track then that's the first thing that comes to mind for me. Any song with her on it will sell millions.

I think that Frank Ocean has a huge part to play in the future of rap. He has the talent to become the next great hook singer. He absolutely nailed his two features on "Watch the Throne".

He definitely wasn't on the songs for his commercial appeal. Very few people knew him back then. He was on it purely for his talent and I can see him having a huge future if he picks his features right and doesn't try to cash in on his fame by being on every album in the next year or two. If he chooses wisely and develops his own style further then he could be the next Nate Dogg.

the correct answer to "Blur vs Oasis" is PULP. they were/are better then the other two put together.
    Johnny Marr is the most talented popular musician of the 80's.
    Morrisey is a pr!ck but has damn good set of vocal cords.
    Dubstep and/or dance music hold no attraction to me whatsoever.
    Grandmaster Flash is the best Hip-Hop artist.
    The Edge doesn't get enough credit, he may not be technically superb, but he does what he does very well, and very few people did it before him.
    The Wall is a boring album, Dark Side of the Moon or Wish You Were Here are immensely better.
    Metalhead shredding bores me. In the words of the great BB King: "Baby, I can make one note sound like 5 million notes"
    Revolver is better than Abbey Road.
    Punk isn't appreciated properly by a lot of people, and no, the Sex Pistols are not proper punk.
    Thin Lizzy are the best Irish band ever. Full stop.

Second Rant over :v

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭SdoowSirhc

And that is a fact, The love below is one of the most unique and brilliant projects i've ever heard from a musician, the lad is seriously gifted.
    And doesn't he even have his own cartoon series? :D Seen it on RTÉ when I was sick in bed a few months ago

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭SdoowSirhc

rcaz wrote: »
    Tuuuuuune.

Don't you hate a shy bitch? Yeah, I ate a shy bitch.
    I actually like this song.. And Mr Postman..

johnROSS wrote: »
    Morrisey is a pr!ck but has damn good set of vocal cords.

Thin Lizzy are the best Irish band ever. Full stop.

Both of those opinions are very popular
    johnROSS wrote: »
    Revolver is better than Abbey Road.

I'm not sure how popular that opinion is but I'd agree

• Registered Users Posts: 37 gorugeen

I'd rather roughly sand me ear lobes than listen to Janes Addiction.
    The only thing to come from high flying birds is sh*te.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure how popular that opinion is but I'd agree
    First one isn't poular with morrisey fans, second one isn't popular with u2 fans ;)

also, Rory Gallagher isn't the greatest guitarist in history as some people claim, but he is the best musician to come out of this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

He's also a brilliant live performer, his gig last month with Jay was phenomenal. I dont understand why he gets so much stick, he's one of the few hip hop producers out there with a bit of soul in his music, some of his stuff is like a mixture of J Dilla and RZA with a modern twist on it.

I think the stick he gets is sometimes warranted. I agree that his first two albums are amazing, and sure he may be a great live performer, but a lot of the flack he gets he brings on himself. There's a fine line between self-belief and conceit, and Kanye is way over the line. He's not as great as he thinks he is. I think that the South Park guys pretty much nailed it with their episode about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I also notice that people who dislike his music tend to mention the fact that they think he's an asshole, as if that has something to do with his music or why they don't listen to him.

Well it does when the subject of your lyrics is primarily yourself. I thought My Beautiful Pretentious Atrocity was absolutely cringeworthy and qualified as anti-art in my books. I deleted it as soon as I'd listened to the whole thing once through. The man has not rewritten any f*cking rules in hip hop. The beats I loved from the first 2 albums are pretty much because I love the songs they're sampled from. He's got an ear for making a catchy soulful track, fine, but God, he is still a pop rapper at the end of the day. He's the Madonna of hip hop and that's fine but people need to stop putting him on the pedestal that he's demanding he be placed on. Then there's the fact that he's using whichever artist is in vogue at the time to make his album covers. Contentless pretentious brand musician if you ask me. Also, he's a dick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Best thing Kanye has ever done:

Produced this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

karaokeman wrote: »
    So they are both pop acts, think thats pretty much established barr the Foo Fighters fanboys who refuse to admit their favourite band is a pop band.

The only way I could call the Foo Fighters a "pop" band is if I listened to Sunn O))) first. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

The only way I could call the Foo Fighters a "pop" band is if I listened to Sunn O))) first. :pac:

So what is your definition of "pop" music as such?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

karaokeman wrote: »
    So what is your definition of "pop" music as such?

Inoffensive lyrics, bland production, targeted to as wide an audience as possible. More emphasis on image and marketability than the individuals musicianship. Safe radio friendly music that appeals to people who aren't that fanatical about music.

Just because Foo Fighters are popular, doesn't make them pop IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Inoffensive lyrics, bland production, targeted to as wide an audience as possible. More emphasis on image and marketability than the individuals musicianship. Safe radio friendly music that appeals to people who aren't that fanatical about music.

Just because Foo Fighters are popular, doesn't make them pop IMO.

'pop' music is just popular music...

Popular music is music that isn't done in some kind of academic, high-art way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

How does that not apply to the Foo Fighters?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Genrugh

Advertisement