Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your unpopular music opinions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭cometogether

Beady Eye's album is better than Noel Gallagher's one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

ac/dc are complete and utter ****e.

thin lizzy is the best band irelands ever had.

the blades should of been the next thin lizzy ( in the pop sense )

bono is genuinely pure evil ( socially/musically speaking... and i guess every other way too for that matter. )

akons made more money signing lady gaga then he did in his own music career... still can't afford hearing lessons...

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭VenomousFish

Surfer Rosa is a better album than Doolittle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

I do not particularly enjoy the music of Led Zeppelin. There. I said it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I remember about 6/7 years ago I tried uploading "Led Zeppelin IV" onto my mp3 player. It ****ed everything up. I lost all of music. Strangely when I deleted that album all my music came back again. I tried uploading again and the same thing happened all over.

Ever since then I've been suspicious of them as a band :P.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

'Be Here Now' was Oasis at top flight, cracking coke fuelled rock album which only suffered from the longevity of certain songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

I like Snow Patrol but that doesn't take away from the fact they have been a Coldplay tribute act since Final Straw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

Plastic factory by captain beefheart shouuld be the first song all children should hear and use as a bench mark for what is good and what is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

People who hear a reggae song and immediately assume it's Bob Marley should be shot in the face.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Bob Dylan's Self Portrait is very underrated and is in fact a far better album than Desire, which I think is the worst album of his that I've heard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Kold wrote: »
    I think that Beyoncé's version of empowerment is more akin to misandry and it hurts to think of her as a role model to a generation of young women.

I'm always unsure about the brand of female empowerment Rihanna and a few other notable pop stars portray/get credited with.

There's too much emphasis on dominating men sexually and not enough about matching them mentally. I worry a generation of girls will think that their best weapon in the search for equality is their tits and not their brains.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

You need schooling,
    baby im not fooling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I remember about 6/7 years ago I tried uploading "Led Zeppelin IV" onto my mp3 player. It ****ed everything up. I lost all of music. Strangely when I deleted that album all my music came back again. I tried uploading again and the same thing happened all over.

Ever since then I've been suspicious of them as a band :P.
    That reminds me of the record cover that was made from sandpaper so as to destroy any other records on the shelf beside it. http://www.noiseaddicts.com/2009/05/durutti-column-most-punk-cover/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 14 HidePork

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    People who hear a reggae song and immediately assume it's Bob Marley should be shot in the face.
    Yep, it could be UB40!

Lou Reed is a miserable c unt and his music is dire

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Chloris

Well, I hate most of what is deemed "popular" music. Rihanna, Beyonce, Maroon 5, Flo Rida, Kris Brown, Carley May Jepson and all the other talentless swine out there make me hate the invention of auto tuning and electronic music. That's not to say that I don't think computers have a place in music-making today, I just think that we should be using technology as a means to an end instead of an end in itself which we use to churn out crappy "pop" hits.

On a more specific note, I think Shane McGowan is virtually unlistenable. A lot of people would find that strange. I also cannot understand how a person can go through their entire life without getting intimate with the genre of metal. If I hadn't loved Dimmu Borgir and Arcturus for a while, I don't think my life would be the same. It's all a matter of taste, I suppose, but sometimes it's really good to just cut loose and listen to something unbearably heavy! Especially when you're a teenager and the rest of the world is so difficult to come to terms with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Lou Reed is a miserable c unt and his music is dire
    Including The Velvet Underground?

Zero1986 wrote: »
    Including The Velvet Underground?

Yarp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Yarp
    Well for such a dire band they have somehow managed to be one of, if not the most, influential bands on alternative music over the past 45 years or so.

No Velvet Underground no Modern Lovers, My Bloody Valentine, Galaxie 500, Yo La Tengo, R.E.M., Pixies, Television, Patti Smith, Brian Jonestown Massacre, Sonic Youth, Jesus and Mary Chain, Pavement, Talking Heads... and so forth. Probably even no punk rock.

I don't care as much for Lou Reed's solo stuff but The Velvet Underground were amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Bob Dylan is a cretin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Don't get me wrong, I don't think Tyler's for real either, and I do actually like Odd Future overall, but how can Beyonce's track be considered seriously misandrist if, on the other side of the fence, Tyler's much more extreme persona gets a pass as a creative mechanism?

People are more familiar with the attitude Tyler displays. We don't always notice misogyny, whether it's real or not, because it's so commonplace, and when we do it's probably easier to excuse for the same reason.

On a similar note, homophobia gets the green light too much in music because of its prevalence in rap and reggae.

MF Doom gets excused for making this track because it's in character..

On record he's said that he's not being serious and isn't homophobic, but I have some reservations about it.

I think a lot of people try to ignore that song and the fact that rap can be legitimately homophobic makes it easier to do so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Bob Dylan is a cretin.

Bob Dylan was rapping before it was cool!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Bob Dylan is a cretin.

Maybe but his output in the 60s and 70s is essential

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5 CecilBlunt

Dire Straits' Sultans of swing is a blatant copy of a Rory Gallagher tune.

CecilBlunt wrote: »
    Dire Straits' Sultans of swing is a blatant copy of a Rory Gallagher tune.

Which one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭doomed

Hear one Van Morrison song and you heard them all. Should be available on prescription for insomniacs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Patti Smith is just average...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

In Rainbows is better than OK Computer.

In 20 years time, no one will remember who The Rapture were.

flyswatter wrote: »

I'd agree with that. It's definitely one of the very best albums of the last decade

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭notnumber

flyswatter wrote: »

In 20 years time, no one will remember who The Rapture were.

In Rainbows is better than OK Computer

Enda kenny is better than Bertie Ahern.

Radiohead where great for a time..really great.. they aint anymore no matter how much people claim they are....the songs they wrote at the time reflected their lives..today they are just the hits and they belt them out fair enough.Most Bands are only really great for a short period of time and you have to catch them then..in that time..,,watching radiohead/stone roses these days just does not interest me one little bit.

Advertisement