Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your unpopular music opinions

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭AhSureTisGrand

YodaBoy wrote: »
    Guns 'n' Roses and all of their contemporaries are white noise
    In fairness Oasis are about as "noisy" as Guns 'n' Roses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭YodaBoy

In fairness Oasis are about as "noisy" as Guns 'n' Roses

for sure! sorry if i gave any impression that i was a big Oasis fan...bit indifferent tbh..it just seems more confessional to say that I don't like G 'n' R or Nirvana as they have more acclaim

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Tori Amos ripped off Kate Bush big time!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

francois wrote: »
    Beady Eye are sh1te

That's about as populist as they come, to be fair mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

I haven't heard 99.9% of modern mainstream music INCLUDING Mainstream rock and metal,
    But that pales in comparison to my ignorance of dance/techno/trance/scanger music.

FYP :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

Sinfonia wrote: »
    FYP :P

Shame I cant fix your nose from here :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭SChique00

a-ha are one of the most underrated bands on the planet.
    As a huge Beatles fan, even I admit they were slightly overrated.
    Cascada has a great voice and is actually very pretty.
    Coldplay's new song is sub-par in comparison to the magnificent "X and Y" or "VLV".
    Everybody is either a proud or closeted Beegees fan.
    James Blunt is depressing on every level.
    Justin Bieber is a whiny, pre-pubescent, typically white suburban hiphop wannabe who will probably be working in a Canadian McDonald's in the not so distant future, fat, balding and repulsive to his tween fangirls.
    "Born In The USA" is the worst Springsteen album, but only by comparison.
    The Smiths are deep and lyrical.
    Paramore is a ****ty punk wannabe group who just make noise.
    Ditto Green Day.
    Ditto Blink-182, with more vulgarity.
    Shania Twain is amazing!

Blur are, and always will be, better than Oasis because they didn't become popular by "reinventing" the classic Beatles sound.
    S-Club 7 are my guiltiest of pleasures.
    Plan B may just convert me Britrap, as could Tinie Tempah, because neither are profanatic or overtly sexual.
    Beyoncé can sing, even if she is married to an ourangutan.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭figarofigaro

The red hot chili peppers have some good songs but I don't like most of their stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

SChique00 wrote: »
    Paramore is a ****ty punk wannabe group who just make noise.

Paramore don't make any pretences of trying to be a 'punk' group compared to any punk groups of the 70s, but compared to bands we have now, I'm not so sure. They might be one of the most 'punk' contemporary rock bands we have. Also, they write a lot of great pop tunes, with really good arrangements to back them up.

Another of my unpopular opinions;

Paramore are quite a good band, unfairly judged according to the market they were lumped in with. Anyone who disagrees with me, please listen to Playing God before arguing with me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Never really interested in Springsteen, don't really rate him.

GnR are f**king awful, a crappy 80s hair metal band that got too big. Didn't Nirvana destroy them? Why do people still like them?

Never really interested in Springsteen, don't really rate him.

GnR are f**king awful, a crappy 80s hair metal band that got too big. Didn't Nirvana destroy them? Why do people still like them?

Well I suppose Springsteen is subject to being spread through families and not much individual interest. If I hadn't dug out my dad's old LPs a while back (he was the biggest fan in Ireland; just sayin' :p) I'd have probably never listened to his music.

Guns and Roses are just hairy noisemakers. That's all. I can tolerate Nirvana in places.

Oh! I've just thought of something.
    I would rather listen to Leonard Cohen than Bob Dylan any day. He is the BOMB.

And for the record, I really like Lipstick, even though I cannae stick Jedward.
    search%3Fq%3Dleonard%2Bcohen%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26biw%3D1366%26bih%3D531%26tbm%3Disch&um=1&itbs=1&iact=rc&dur=16&page=1&ndsp=28&ved=1t:429,r:4,s:0&tx=92&ty=48

SChique00 wrote: »
    Blur are, and always will be, better than Oasis because they didn't become popular by "reinventing" the classic Beatles sound.

Indeed. They became popular by jumping on the Stone Roses bandwagon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

Indeed. They became popular by jumping on the Stone Roses bandwagon!

They rode the coat tails of the baggy scene that's true but at least the had a thirst for experimentation and continued to develop throughout their career.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

John Mayer, despite being a bit of an ass, is the most talented musician of his generation.

They rode the coat tails of the baggy scene that's true but at least the had a thirst for experimentation and continued to develop throughout their career.

Developed into a hit and miss band. Oasis didn't "develop" and were still a hit and miss band. Don't get me wrong, I love Blur, saw them live in 09, have all the albums etc. But the idea that Blur developed into something more important or "better" than Oasis is nonsense really. Blur and 13 had some awful tripe on them, as well as some great tunes. I didn't rate Think Thank at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭trashcan

Bob Dylan is overrated as a songwriter quite apart from his awful voice. Eric Clapton is similarly overrated as a guitarist. I don't care how technically gifted he is, terminally boring to listen to. Similarly Hendrix, where are the Tunes ? Led Zep are unmitigated shyte, Rap is horrible. Springsteen is ordinary. Micahel Jackson was not a great entertainer.

Unpopular enough ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭dasdog

trashcan wrote: »
    Similarly Hendrix, where are the Tunes ?

KPFA Tapes

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Tony10

ok, this is this girls second release, and the unplugged version to boot lol.The first was 'Friday' which was horrifically bad, which,because of this fact, has made her famous.This is epically as bad.and i love the second comment down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTNquPzvbWY&feature=topvideos_music

Btw I'm sorry :( but I had to let the world know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

Elvis is not that great, and Johnny Cash is infinitely better
    The Foo Fighters are very, very ordinary and Dave Grohl should have stuck to drumming
    Kings of Leon are even more boring than Foo Fighters
    Dance music is quite good
    Hip Hop music is my favourite genre
    Most people don't like Hip Hop because they don't understand it, and don't take time to listen
    Queens of The Stone Age are my favourite band of all time
    Bjork is terrible
    Lady GaGa makes alot of brilliant songs
    Rick James is brilliant in his own right, and not just an artist to listen to because of the parodies
    Kanye West may be annoying as a person, but his music is some of the best popular hip hop of recent times
    Wiz Khalifa is decent
    N-Dubz have some decent tunes (Dappy is scum, however)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Reading through the thread I've thought of a few more:

GnR are a great band and get a lot of undue criticism

Brick by brick by Arctic Monkeys is a decent song despite the terrible lyrics

Green Day were really good pre- American Idiot

Jimmy Hendrix is highly overrated despite being the greatest guitarist of his generation because of his early death which is the same reason Nirvana are so popular

Bob Dylan is one of the best songwriters of all time but couldn't sing for s****

Rubber Soul is seen as the beginning of the 'new' Beatles but I think Help! is overlooked by a lot of people in this sense

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

Nelly Furtado - Try is one of, if not, my favourite songs of all time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I think the song from the Bodyform advert was the best piece of music ever. The lyrics are really beautiful and heartfelt. "Ooooh Bodyform for you".

I think Men Without Hats are overrated. I wish everyone would stop talking about them.

I think all music would be better if it featured the wobble board, preferably played by Rolf Harris but another wobble board virtuoso would do if he wasn't available.

I think a twelve inch vinyl record is bigger than a CD. Unless the CD is a box set that opens up or something. Even then it would just be the CD box that was bigger, the actual CD would still be smaller than vinyl.

I think Kurt Cobain is more dead now than when he was alive.

I think new music is newer than old music. Old music is newer than really old music. Really old music is newer than really, really old music.

There's probably a popular band that you love but that I don't enjoy very much. That bands songs are just too short or long, their lyrics aren't meaningful enough or are too pretentious and they have way too many or not nearly enough guitar solos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Here's some opinions:

Metal is terrible, bands like Judas Priest etc. are comedy to me. The old men that have long grey hair and wear 'Maiden' T-shirts are usually alcoholics.

Rory Gallagher wasn't very good at all. I couldn't tell you the name of any of his songs.

Blues/Rock is tripe. Eric Clapton etc. bore me to tears.

I hate cover bands.

A-Ha were amazing and will never be appreciated the right way.

Damien Rice style singer songwritery, whispery ballady music can lie down. It's awful.

Elbow aren't that good at all.

X-Factor/Westlife style pop music, isn't music. It's only there to prey on the weak minded who will vote for it or buy it because 2fm told them to.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BornToRun88

How I can't stand ACDC. I'm the only person it seems that dislikes them. The singer just screams and the guitar riffs in most of their songs sound the same. That 'Thunderstruck' song drives me nuts, especially the intro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Journeys "Dont Stop Believing" is a pile of ****e

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I think Justin Timberlake should change his name to Justin Woodwater.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Elbow are sh*te, some fat lad pining on about pissy cornflakes or something to that effect. Lose some weight bud and you might cheer up.

Flaming Lips – The Yeah Song...bound to be the tune they’ll be playing 24 hours in hell when I arrive. My so called mates stick it on when I’m too drunk and defenceless to change it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

1. Later period Radiohead, once they replaced the guitars with electronics are much better, can't listen to they're earlier stuff.

2. Beatles, Elvis, Bob Dylan vastly overrated, Beach Boys (Brian Wilson, mainly) and Leonard Cohen and The Stooges are the best the 60's had to offer.

3. The Human League are the best pop band ever.

4. If I got off my fat arse and formed a band my first album would be the best debut in music history.

Advertisement