Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your unpopular music opinions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,334 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

There are no good young Irish bands. None. Name one. I dare you.

U2's 90s work is as good as the Beatles experimental work.

The Minutes are ace.

Love early 90's U2 but that statement is b0llocks!

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Prettyblack

Birneybau wrote: »
    The Minutes are ace.

Love early 90's U2 but that statement is b0llocks!

Or just unpopular! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Prettyblack

niallo76 wrote: »
    ?????
    Sit down and have a coke-Jesus,what's with the attitude?
    You need to be able to give reasons with your crazy statements'I can't stand Bob Marley,I hate Thin Lizzy,no good irish bands-etc
    If your highlights of your musical world is Jamiroquai and Dire Straits-i think you are seriously missing out in some fine music-as for Springsteen-i do not think you have heard anything else by him bar the two songs you mention.
    In fact,come to think of it I think maybe you don't really like music all that much.There is no point suggesting music to you, because I think that you would diss it-hell,go back and listen to mid 90s U2,John Meyer,Dire Straits and Jamiroquai-if they rock your world-hey knock yourself out-but hey,don't it get a bit lonely listening to the same stuff,considering that Dire Straits and Jamiroquai are no more?

I don't have an attitude - isn't this supposed to be a thread about unpopular music opinions? And therefore, by its very nature, some of the opinions here are going to go against what other people believe? So the attitude isn't coming from me - its coming from the people who respond and try to defend whatever they are defending.

I didn't realise I had to list the reasons why I liked or didn't like something either.

But if you want to know...

I hate Thin Lizzy because 1) I genuinely don't like the music they've produced.

As for Dire Straits / Jamiroquai etc, hmmm - again, this thread is supposed to be about what "unpopular" things you like, or opinions you hold. Dire Straits and Jamiroquai / John Mayer etc are certainly NOT the only things I listen to. Didn't I mention I loved dub reggae? I like everything from 60s psychedelia to pop music and everything in between.

What I was pointing out were the few acts / albums I liked, that would prove to be unpopular. And I was right!

Oh and btw Jamiroquai are still going - they released an album in 2011.

I've heard all those Irish bands - Villagers, Riptide, ASIWYFA - all are average at best. Certainly not "good".

James Vincent McMorrow is interesting, but he's hardly a "band" now is he? :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭ElvisChrist6

Are you a Slayer fan by any chance? ...Because a lot of Slayer fans say the exact same thing, probably because the band themselves gets labelled as generic and boring. I like Slayer, by the way.

I'm not, no. I would take them over Metallica though anyday. I'm more of a crossover, doom and death metal fan myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

Lisa Hannigan is a superior singer-songwriter to Damien Rice.(Queue mass guffawing and me being made seem like an idiot.

Her last album was exceptional, lyrically and otherwise(ie her angelic voice) I prefer her. Thats not to say I don't like Damien, I do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Tommy Fleming is nothing like Daniel O' Donnell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

karaokeman wrote: »

Yeah, he's a ginge. That makes him 10 times worse…

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Or just unpopular! :-)

You want experimental? Listen to Zappa, Beefheart, Can for starters.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,334 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

old hippy wrote: »

I've listened to Zappa, Beefheart etc. Unlistenable most of the time. Some Zappa is good, but in most cases "experimental" doesn't mean "good"!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 14 LanceStrong

Level 42 are underrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Those guys didn't experiment, they just played out-there stuff. Try Alvin Lucier, Terry Riley, John Cage... This is real experimental music.

rcaz wrote: »
    Those guys didn't experiment, they just played out-there stuff. Try Alvin Lucier, Terry Riley, John Cage... This is real experimental music.

The old Crocodile Dundee stylee quote:

That's not experimental… THAT'S EXPERIMENTAL

I've listened to Zappa, Beefheart etc. Unlistenable most of the time. Some Zappa is good, but in most cases "experimental" doesn't mean "good"!

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 14 LanceStrong

Just because they took a lot of drugs doesn't make it good.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,060 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Steve harris, bruce dickinson and nicko mcbrain go about their business like proper professionals while the rest of the band mince around like a camp riverdance!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Yeah, he's a ginge. That makes him 10 times worse…

It was in an interview I read some years back, it was a surprise to me as I'd never heard people compare Tommy Fleming to Daniel O' Donnell but that's what was suggested in the article.

http://www.sundayworld.com/showbiz/brunker-meets.php?aid=1624

The main points of it are TF's own words
    “I don’t know why people compare me to Daniel, it’s not that it annoys me but he wouldn’t be my cup of tea,” he says.

But personally I think there's no similarity between the music they make.

It was in an interview I read some years back, it was a surprise to me as I'd never heard people compare Tommy Fleming to Daniel O' Donnell but that's what was suggested in the article.

http://www.sundayworld.com/showbiz/brunker-meets.php?aid=1624

The main points of it are TF's own words
    “I don’t know why people compare me to Daniel, it’s not that it annoys me but he wouldn’t be my cup of tea,” he says.

But personally I think there's no similarity between the music they make.

They both cater mainly to the blue rinse incontinence brigade though. Trying to choose between them would be a sh¡t/sh¡te option for me.

Zappa was quite anti-drugs, actually.

Zappa was quite anti-drugs, actually.
    And so were the band....if you took drugs you were fired

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

I love 'Better the Devil You Know' from Kylie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

Cheryl Cole's 'Fight For This Love' is a brilliant pop song.

Temaz wrote: »
    Cheryl Cole's 'Fight For This Love' is a brilliant pop song.

Do you know what? I concur.

This, however, is my fave pop song.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Steve harris, bruce dickinson and nicko mcbrain go about their business like proper professionals while the rest of the band mince around like a camp riverdance!
    Iron Maiden can do whatever the hell they want in my view, they've earned it. The more camp and over the top the better.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Unless you're Lance Armstrong... checks username - OMG??!!!!!!

Zero1986 wrote: »
    Iron Maiden can do whatever the hell they want in my view, they've earned it. The more camp and over the top the better.
    like the scissor sisters?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Dinosaur Jr are criminally underrated.

I don't know where I stand on the band (solo act even?) Villagers, I didn't get them at all at first and questioned what people saw in them but my opinion of them has improved slightly.

I think The Immediate were a lot better though and would much prefer to see them still around than Villagers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

flyswatter wrote: »
    Dinosaur Jr are criminally underrated.

Completely agree. Fantastic band

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Exactly.

• Advertisement

Saw them play in Trafalgar Sq some years back and they were brilliant!

Advertisement