Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your unpopular music opinions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭daveyeh

I think the cast of cheers are shameless rip-off merchants. contrived, unoriginal, image obsessed and destined for the indie trash heap.

Foals called. They want their songs back.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Duran Duran were and continue to be a grossly under-rated band. They wrote some of the best pop-rock songs of the last 30 years and yet are continually derided by the British Press (in particular).

Anyone who has seen their live performances would be compelled to agree. They were magical again in The O2 last December.

Comparisons to the Beatles should not be scoffed at. Classics such as 'Hungry Like The Wolf', 'Wild Boys', 'View To A Kill', 'New Religion' and 'Ordinary World' as pop songs cannot be matched by anything of today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

Justin Bieber is very talented, he wouldn't be where he is today if he wasn't. He wasn't always JB, hiis youtube covers were quality and his new album is immense. People who hate Bieber seem to hate songs which deal with love but this is how people think and Bieber hits the money. 'Fall' is a great song.

Jedward can sing

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

EdenHazard wrote: »

Jedward can sing
    oh no you didn't! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Justin Bieber is very talented, he wouldn't be where he is today if he wasn't. He wasn't always JB, hiis youtube covers were quality and his new album is immense. People who hate Bieber seem to hate songs which deal with love but this is how people think and Bieber hits the money. 'Fall' is a great song.

Jedward can sing

http://instantostrich.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

People who hate Bieber seem to hate songs which deal with love

People hate others who opine on subjects they couldn't begin to have a clue about; for example, a teenager singing about 'love'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Jedward can sing
    Cool story bro. And I suppose you think Rebecca Black is one of the most forward-thinking artists of our generation too.

Come back to us when you have actually listened to music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Ulveren

Zero1986 wrote: »
    Cool story bro. And I suppose you think Rebecca Black is one of the most forward-thinking artists of our generation too.

Come back to us when you have actually listened to music.

Let's not forget this is an unpopular music thread, and that opinion certainly has a home here. It's a winner from me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Ulveren wrote: »
    Let's not forget this is an unpopular music thread, and that opinion certainly has a home here. It's a winner from me!
    I think we do have a winner. The thread should be locked right now because nothing can scale this level of opinion ever again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Stairway to heaven is musical perfection.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Stairway to heaven is musical perfection.

That's unpopular?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Justin Bieber is plain awful.

Strangled cats can sing

FYP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

I passed this remark recently and was scolded:

Even just on the strength of his work with The Smiths alone, Morrissey is hands down the greatest lyricist to ever come out of Britain. Yes, that includes Lennon/McCartney.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Even just on the strength of his work with The Smiths alone, Morrissey is hands down the greatest lyricist to ever come out of Britain. Yes, that includes Lennon/McCartney.

He's absolutely remarkable.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

I'd put him in second place, behind Richey Edwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Suas11 wrote: »
    I'd put him in second place, behind Richey Edwards.

Now that is controversial!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭Pauvre Con

That pop and rock are a young person's game and people make their best work fairly early on in their career. After that they're just treading water and living off past glories. Old people simply can't hack it.

But anyway no one will listen to what's contemporary music for us in 100 years time when we're all dead. It's readily consumed, ephemeral and dictated by the whims of fashion, spooned fed to the public by marketing executives. It's something to be enjoyed in the moment and for god sake don't take it too seriously...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Pauvre Con wrote: »
    That pop and rock are a young person's game and people make their best work fairly early on in their career. After that they're just treading water and living off past glories. Old people simply can't hack it.

But anyway no one will listen to what's contemporary music for us in 100 years time when we're all dead. It's readily consumed, ephemeral and dictated by the whims of fashion, spooned fed to the public by marketing executives. It's something to be enjoyed in the moment and for god sake don't take it too seriously...

Tom Waits, Seasick Steve, Miles Davis still making great music in and beyond middle age. Or at least Miles did until he passed away.

As for music getting old and not listened to? Ever listen to the Blues?

old hippy wrote: »
    Tom Waits, Seasick Steve, Miles Davis still making great music in and beyond middle age. Or at least Miles did until he passed away.

As for music getting old and not listened to? Ever listen to the Blues?

Beethoven was churning out some good stuff towards the end too... But I meant pop/rock really. There's something about the oeuvre that lends itself to youth. As Trainspotting has it:
    Sick Boy: It's certainly a phenomenon in all walks of life.
    Renton: What do you mean?
    Sick Boy: Well, at one time, you've got it... and then you lose it... and it's gone forever. All walks of life: George Best, for example. Had it, lost it. Or David Bowie, or Lou Reed...
    Renton: Some of his solo stuff's not bad.
    Sick Boy: No, it's not bad, but it's not great either. And in your heart you kind of know that although it sounds all right, it's actually just... ****e.
    Renton: So who else?
    Sick Boy: Charlie Nicholas, David Niven, Malcolm McLaren, Elvis Presley...
    Renton: OK, OK, so what's the point you're trying to make?
    Sick Boy: All I'm trying to do is help you understand that The Name of The Rose is merely a blip on an otherwise uninterrupted downward trajectory.
    Renton: What about The Untouchables?
    Sick Boy: I don't rate that at all.
    Renton: Despite the Academy Award?
    Sick Boy: That means **** all. It's a sympathy vote.
    Renton: Right. So we all get old and then we can't hack it anymore. Is that it?
    Sick Boy: Yeah.
    Renton: That's your theory?
    Sick Boy: Yeah. Beautifully ****ing illustrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

But I meant pop/rock really. There's something about the oeuvre that lends itself to youth.

How about Radiohead, The Flaming Lips, Sonic Youth, Dinosaur Jr., to name but four?

• Advertisement

rcaz wrote: »
    How about Radiohead, The Flaming Lips, Sonic Youth, Dinosaur Jr., to name but four?

But if I felt there were a load of guys in their 40s and 50s making better records than they did in their 20s I wouldn't have posted what I did? So I guess you can name all the bands you want. Radiohead for me would be an example of a band I loved in the 90s, liked a decade ago but then totally lost interest when In Rainbows was released. And as much as I can like a band when they're on their game I've never been a diehard that will purchase everything they then subsequently release throughout their career.

Some of the best music in the world doesn't come from the US or the UK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Paul Weller is doing some great stuff in middle age to name one, there will always be exceptions. But yeah I think your point is correct in general and I think this would be largely accepted as true.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭johnROSS

flyswatter wrote: »
    Paul Weller is doing some great stuff in middle age
    yeah but he's not half the musician he was.

Bruce Foxton is the most underrated and overlooked musician in rock. So much stage presence, and great vocal harmonies, not to mention his great bass playing. That guy deserves a medal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

But if I felt there were a load of guys in their 40s and 50s making better records than they did in their 20s I wouldn't have posted what I did? So I guess you can name all the bands you want. Radiohead for me would be an example of a band I loved in the 90s, liked a decade ago but then totally lost interest when In Rainbows was released. And as much as I can like a band when they're on their game I've never been a diehard that will purchase everything they then subsequently release throughout their career.

"You can say whatever you want but my opinion is different to yours."

Fair enough.

flyswatter wrote: »
    Paul Weller is doing some great stuff in middle age to name one, there will always be exceptions. But yeah I think your point is correct in general and I think this would be largely accepted as true.

I must admit I haven't heard anything recently of Weller but yeah, his 90s stuff wasn't bad. But for me it certainly wasn't on a par with the brilliant Jam era - and that's my point really. Neil Young would be another off the top of my head that's aged well and done some very listenable stuff late on in his career but he's hardly knocking out albums that are better than what he was doing in the early 70s.

"You can say whatever you want but my opinion is different to yours."

Fair enough.

Indeed. And that's kinda the point of this thread isn't it!? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

But these can be exceptions that prove the rule. Tbf though have any of them released anything recently that has top their earlier career defining albums (I'm very partial to King of the Limbs but I have to admit I'm in the minority there).

I think an awful lot of the creative tension in rock music comes from an band's ambition versus their ability. An awful lot of their vital music is created during the process of learning how to do things and pushing themselves to try and do things they haven't done before. When bands get comfortable in their roles, that's when a certain amount of blandness sets in. So, I'd agree with what Pauvre Con is saying in relation to the majority of artists.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Post Ok Computer > Ok Computer and previous

Kold wrote: »
    Post Ok Computer > Ok Computer and previous

You see, from my perspective I simply can't hear it. I can't really fathom how someone thinks Kid A is better than OK Computer. However I could understand the band wanting a change in sound and to get away from being guitar-based so perhaps it's merely two distinctive sounds with me prefering the rock stuff. But fast forward on a few years to In Rainbows...being blunt I thought it was ****e. Do people really prefer the stuff off that album to songs like My Iron Lung and Paranoid Android? It takes all sorts I guess...

I do think Radiohead could piss in to a bucket and they'd have the type of following that would buy and enjoy it.

• Advertisement

Kid A is much more adventurous than OK Computer but I love them both

Advertisement