Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your unpopular music opinions

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

In the last decade Wales have produced better bands than Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Nolanger wrote: »
    In the last decade Wales have produced better bands than Ireland!

Wouldn't be difficult, Two Door Cinema Club and Le Galaxie only Irish bands worth a ***** in the last 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭SChique00

Here's some opinions:

I hate cover bands.

A-Ha were amazing and will never be appreciated the right way.

X-Factor/Westlife style pop music, isn't music. It's only there to prey on the weak minded who will vote for it or buy it because 2fm told them to.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU. A-ha were, are, and always will be my favourite band, but noone understands where I'm coming from when I say that! I usually refer them to Scoundrel Days, or EOTSWOTM, two of their unquestionably best albums.

X Factor music is purely disposable, much like a lot of songs these days. True, there are a few modern gems in the masses of waste junk, but my life is too short to be going searching for them.... I'd rather play it safe and stick to the classics.

As for cover bands, I completely don't understand why they exist! It's like those remakes of perfectly amazing 80s films.... which supposedly introduce the films to a "new generation". Surely the new generation know how to use Wikipedia and movie sites??? (Sorry for trailing off on a tangent there :rolleyes:)
    :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭SChique00

1. Later period Radiohead, once they replaced the guitars with electronics are much better, can't listen to they're earlier stuff.

2. Beatles, Elvis, Bob Dylan vastly overrated, Beach Boys (Brian Wilson, mainly) and Leonard Cohen and The Stooges are the best the 60's had to offer.

3. The Human League are the best pop band ever.

4. If I got off my fat arse and formed a band my first album would be the best debut in music history.

Elvis is overrated because he couldn't write his own songs, and Dylan was overrated because he couldn't SING his own songs... The Beatles can be overhyped to an extent - particularly their sub par earlier albums - but they cared about what they were creating in the studio once they stopped the frantic touring; ergo, they are amazing and always will be!

The Human League are fabulous, spent ages in Freebird Records one day and found a mint vinyl of DARE. Best money I ever spent; Seconds made me cry :o.

Good luck with the album by the way, but I've been meaning to write a rock anthalogy this past year or so and still haven't advanced past the first few factual notes. :p:p:p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

SChique00 wrote: »
    Elvis is overrated because he couldn't write his own songs, and Dylan was overrated because he couldn't SING his own songs... The Beatles can be overhyped to an extent - particularly their sub par earlier albums - but they cared about what they were creating in the studio once they stopped the frantic touring; ergo, they are amazing and always will be!

The Human League are fabulous, spent ages in Freebird Records one day and found a mint vinyl of DARE. Best money I ever spent; Seconds made me cry :o.

Good luck with the album by the way, but I've been meaning to write a rock anthalogy this past year or so and still haven't advanced past the first few factual notes. :p:p:p

I actually got a mint copy of Dare on vinyl off Ebay last year for 2.50 sterling. Darkness my fave. track on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

karaokeman wrote: »
    I beg to differ.

Most people I know love the Beatles and constantly argue that they created music.

In that sense its obviously the 'cool' thing to love the Beatles.

For me, I would rather go for Coldplay any day.

tumblr_ll0p76k1n11qixleeo1_250.gif

Garbage copied Curve.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭VenomousFish

1. Later period Radiohead, once they replaced the guitars with electronics are much better, can't listen to they're earlier stuff.
    Really?!? I'm the opposite. Pablo Honey is there only good album, in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Really?!? I'm the opposite. Pablo Honey is there only good album, in my opinion.

I get why people mightn't like Kid A onwards (well I don't really get it but I try to...), but if that's your bag, surely The Bends is far better? About half of Pablo Honey is angsty-rock-by-numbers, ∂(Pixies)/∂x stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Metallica are one of the most over rated bands ever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

If you don't like Pink Floyd there's something mentally wrong with you

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭VenomousFish

Paparazzo wrote: »

I DON'T LIKE PINK FLOYD. It's a matter of opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭fruvai

Beach Boys (Brian Wilson, mainly) and Leonard Cohen and The Stooges are the best the 60's had to offer.

You forgot the Velvet Underground

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Paparazzo wrote: »

Great Swizz In The Sky is a pile of shee-ite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

Agree with you on most points here.

To be fair Elvis did deliver when he sang if you get what I mean. Regarding Bob....well lets just say that a man with a tin whistle in a pub would be more exciting.

I said near the start of this thread that The Beatles were over rated however I still like their music and also think that Paul Mccartney is a brilliant singer with a powerful voice, even in his old age. And as you said as well about the fact that The Beatles cared what they were creating in the studio is also why I like their music and the Lennon-Mccartney song writing partnership is recognised.

Regarding The Human League I'm nearly sure that my aul lad has a few vinyl's up in the attic as well as a few from other 80's pop bands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭AhSureTisGrand

And yours is wrong :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

The Beatles can be overhyped to an extent - particularly their sub par earlier albums

Well that is simply not true.

Not an opinion as such but more a question.

Why are The Boomtown Rats not liked e.g the Rocking All Over The World - Live Aid documentary gives this vibe especially as they were performing in front of Charles and Diana ? I just felt this was bad form as it was Geldof who organised most of the event.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Lonnie Donegan was incredibly influential upon future generations of British bands and without him The Beatles may never have formed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Why are The Boomtown Rats not liked e.g the Rocking All Over The World - Live Aid documentary gives this vibe especially as they were performing in front of Charles and Diana ? I just felt this was bad form as it was Geldof who organised most of the event.
    Because they're shít.

• Advertisement

Because they're shít.

If I spoke about Geldof's performance on that new Gay Byrne show last night I'd agree but other wise no....there is/was worse going.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭con1982

I can't stand the Chilli Peppers! I will switch station or leave a shop if they come on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

fruvai wrote: »
    You forgot the Velvet Underground

and Love!

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

As far as I remember Bob shafted Ultavox because they were scheduled to be playing when Charles and Di appeared. Considering Midge Ure co-wrote 'Do they know its Christmas' it looks pretty bad.

Trocadero by Showaddywaddy is one of the best pop songs of the '70s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I should rephrase that. If you think pink floyd are shíte, you have something mentally wrong with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BornToRun88

Kings of Leon are rubbish and their singer is terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Here's a more original opinion.

Oxegen in general has much better line-ups than Glastonbury.

The only exception is this year Glasto had U2 as a headliner.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭hacked

Placebo are misunderstood and Brian Molko is a lyrical genius.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

After the Gold Rush is the best album ever made.

OK Computer is the second best album ever made.

The Who are shíte apart from one or two songs.

Neutral Milk Hotel are shíte apart from 2 songs.

Arcade fire are horrible.

Mumford and Sons are absolutely and utterly horrific, all their songs sound exactly the same.

KoL suck.

The Clash suck, Doors have 2 good songs, Bon Jovi have 2 good songs, Fleetwood Mac suck, Iggy Pop has one good song, rest sucks.

Tom Petty kicks ass.

Tom Waits sucks apart from one song.

stopped readin thread

Advertisement