Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your unpopular music opinions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭gigantic09

Found out recently they have a greatest hits out. Couldn't believe it.

I'd liken it to Katie Price bringing out a new autobiography about her life every 2 years.

Ha ha,if i had her apparent popularity so would i.They might as well try and squeeze whatever they can but maybe should have called it "the singles collection" rather than "greatest hits".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Everybody should have at least one Prince album in their collection

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

RikkFlair wrote: »

Tenfold.

Now That's What I Call Music compilations work because they reflect an accurate snapshot of the Top 40 over a particular four month period. Their only criteria is chart success and occasionally what they think will be a hit.

Retrospective compilations tend to cherrypick tracks and as a result benefit from hindsight and selective memory. Many of the tracks on the early NOWs never really got airplay outside their original chart bubble and have been totally forgotten about.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Freddie Gibbs is the best rapper at the moment. The only others at his level in terms of the quality of their output are Kendrick Lamar and Joey Bada$$. They are both fantastic, but I think Gibbs' output is a tad bit better.

He has an upcoming album with Madlib called Cocaine Pinata. If it gets released this year then I'm confident that it will be one of the top 10 albums released this year in any genre.

Get listening to him before that.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

RikkFlair wrote: »

Am working on it!

Parade
    Around the World in a Day
    Sign O' the Times

and er,

Batman

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

SKA - IS - NOT - DEAD

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

I secretly listen to Crowded House when nobody is at home!

SKA - IS - NOT - DEAD

Indeed it isn't. Just listen to anyone of the "Balkan Beats" style bands that grace festivals all over Europe around this time of year. Real energy and verve, especially when they mix it up with the klemzer style.

I do have a soft spot for Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra (from Japan) who've been doing their stuff for the last 20 odd years. I really must get round to seeing them, some day :)

old hippy wrote: »
    Am working on it!

Parade
    Around the World in a Day
    Sign O' the Times

and er,

Batman

I'd also recommend

Prince
    Dirty Mind
    Controversy
    Purple Rain
    Lovesexy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Songs like "Baby you can drive my car" which included such revolutionary lyrics like "beep beep, beep beep, yeah!" are the reason why the Beatles are overrated. It's cheesy pop 'love me, love me, love me' boyband shíte. Influential is not the same as great

"Drive My Car" was a euphemism for sex... as in "drive" my "car". If ya get me. :) So they put that in there, knowing that it would be played on radio all over the world and listened to by millions of kids...

On the same album they had backing vocals on "Girl" going "tit tit tit tit tit" (as well as many pointers at dope smoking). I'd like to see One Direction get away with that! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,060 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I didn't say they had no good songs. They do. But what I was saying was that they had very cheesy boy band songs which people seem to overlook when calling them great.

I was forcefed the Beatles when I was young so I've heard plenty of the cheesy type of songs.

Anyway, it's my opinion and I think they're overrated. Fwiw I think Pink Floyd are the best band ever
    yeah but cmon...a little bit of context

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

I didn't say they had no good songs. They do. But what I was saying was that they had very cheesy boy band songs which people seem to overlook when calling them great.

I was forcefed the Beatles when I was young so I've heard plenty of the cheesy type of songs.

Yes but the main thing you are overlooking is that they wrote those songs themselves... One Direction and all them don't write the songs, nor do they perform the instruments, nor do they decide on the arrangement, nor do they sing them in live in about 2 takes.

The Beatles did. And the 'style of the time' was happy love songs. Which they themselves decided to change with things like Eleanor Rigby, or even Paperback Writer. They'd had enough of the "boy girl" songs.

Having said that, some of their best songs actually ARE the "cheesy boyband" songs. "If I Fell" is one example, cheesy in the lyrics but absolutely stunning in the composition and harmonies. I mean, the harmonies on that song are some of the best you'll ever ever hear.

I'm not a beatles fan by any means...but seriously...this was the dawn of alternative music, they had to start somewhere!

George Clinton is a god

• Registered Users Posts: 14,299 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

The Beta Band and fecken class.
    Muse have some good songs. But 90% of their stuff is rubbish. Between all their albums, about 10-12 decent songs, the rest is tripe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

The Ramones were a joke band surely?
    Absolute drivel. I never saw their appeal. Child like songs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Paddy Casey's songs would be even better if they were sung by someone else

The Ramones were a joke band surely?
    Absolute drivel. I never saw their appeal. Child like songs.
    context...they are great

I like Chris Rea more than Throbbing Gristle, Napalm Death or Nurse With Wound.

100_4190_zps170c6c22.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

BailMeOut wrote: »
    I secretly listen to Crowded House when nobody is at home!

Dont ever be ashamed of listening to Crowded House. Neil Finn is a songwriting genius, Paul McCartney said so, and he should know....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭6am7f9zxrsjvnb

Hysteria by Def Leppard is a classic pop/rock album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

The guitar is the most over-used musical instrument of the past 50 years.

The guitar is the most over-used musical instrument of the past 50 years.
    it's an amazing instrument, really is one of my favourite things in the world.

Hysteria by Def Leppard is a classic pop/rock album.

Actually it is. It's got the sound of glam rock to it, which was not "in" when it was released.

old hippy wrote: »
    Actually it is. It's got the sound of glam rock to it, which was not "in" when it was released.
    def leppard were fairly ballsy for their time and music!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭trashcan

marwelie wrote: »
    Dont ever be ashamed of listening to Crowded House. Neil Finn is a songwriting genius, Paul McCartney said so, and he should know....

Absolutely. Some fabulous songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,334 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Foo Fighters are an incredibly mediocre, uninspired band.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭drugstore cowboy

Birneybau wrote: »
    Foo Fighters are an incredibly mediocre, uninspired band.

I concur.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

The most frustrating thing about Foo Fighters is that members of the band were in far more interesting bands before they joined. Dave Grohl was in Nirvana and Scream, Nate Mendel and William Goldsmith were in Sunny Day Real Estate, Pat Smear was in The Germs and Nirvana, and Chris Shiflett was in No Use For a Name. Yet Foo Fighters made bland, safe, radio-friendly rock for the most part despite maybe a decent song here and there.

Supergroups in general are nearly always disappointing. They never amount to the sum of their parts.

Advertisement