Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your unpopular music opinions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

The truth! A fantastic musician, but I think that gets overlooked due to his purple wackiness

lol, classic Spinal Tap/Nigel Tufnel esque moment from 1.53-2.00. Prince is awesome because he's a force of nature, he just soloed his way all through that song and he can get away with it because he's Prince.

My unpopular music opinion: Black Sabbath wrote mostly mediocre material, they were the heavy metal equivalent of Oasis, boring meat and two veg rock and their lyrics for all their darkness sound a bit simplistic like they were written by a bunch of kids trying to sound evil. However Black Sabbath is a classic song due to the atmosphere, they were one of the founding fathers of metal and they invented doom metal, so I guess that balances it out, but their songs are a bit meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

Johnny Cash is crap.
    Oh, and Radiohead are boring, angst-ridden rubbish for sulky teenagers, and anyone over 15 who listens to them should be ashamed of themselves. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

bogmanfan wrote: »
    Johnny Cash is crap.
    Oh, and Radiohead are boring, angst-ridden rubbish for sulky teenagers, and anyone over 15 who listens to them should be ashamed of themselves. :D

10/10 i got mad

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Sure, maybe on the darker, more morose side of pop music, but 'angst-ridden'? A few tracks on The Bends and Hail To The Thief are pretty angry, and Creep of course, but they're hardly an angry band are they? And I always think, in their angry moments, they're usually angry about things worth being angry about, unlike a LOT of other 'angst-ridden' bands around.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

sound a bit simplistic

I can't stand people who say stuff like this, it's just a very snobbish attitude. Why does it matter how simple a band's music is?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Johnny Cash is crap.
    Oh, and Radiohead are boring, angst-ridden rubbish for sulky teenagers, and anyone over 15 who listens to them should be ashamed of themselves.

Since when did angst have an age limit?
    My unpopular music opinion: Black Sabbath wrote mostly mediocre material, they were the heavy metal equivalent of Oasis, boring meat and two veg rock and their lyrics for all their darkness sound a bit simplistic like they were written by a bunch of kids trying to sound evil. However Black Sabbath is a classic song due to the atmosphere, they were one of the founding fathers of metal and they invented doom metal, so I guess that balances it out, but their songs are a bit meh.

As you say, Sabbath laid the groundwork for Doom and Stoner metal, but they always had awful singers and their ideas have been improved on to the point that I don't need to listen to them over say Electric Wizard, Melvins or Harvey Milk.

That said, I wouldn't write them off as simplistic, there's a lot to be said for keeping things slow and milking every note. Personally I don't like faster more technically proficient styles of metal. If I can play it myself I tend to appreciate and understand it more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Johnny Cash is crap.

He's a legendary musician (eg good songwriter, good instrumentalist etc.).

Only thing is he can't sing for nuts, same goes for Bob Dylan.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

smokedeels wrote:
    That said, I wouldn't write them off as simplistic, there's a lot to be said for keeping things slow and milking every note. Personally I don't like faster more technically proficient styles of metal. If I can play it myself I tend to appreciate and understand it more.

I meant their lyrics sound a bit simplistic, I like the themes of their songs but the delivery in terms of stringing words together is bit meh. For example

Big black shape with eyes of fire
    Telling people their desire
    Satan's sitting there, he's smiling
    Watches those flames get higher and higher
    Oh no, no, please God help me!

or

Is it the end, my friend?
    Satan's coming 'round the bend

Now I really like the atmosphere conjured up in this song together with the lyrical subject matter, but the conveyance of that subject matter I think needed work. Also Satan's coming round the bend really upsets the dark ambience of the piece, it sounds comical.

Also this from Paranoid

People think I'm insane because I am frowning all the time

It just doesn't seem very poetic, it reads like a robot wrote it. As a song its about depression but I don't think its particularly insightful apart from stating the obvious.

I wouldn't say the actual music is simplistic, (though I inferred this with the Oasis comparison which was designed to stir up sh1t) in relation to the rhythm changes, the song arrangements and so on although I find it a bit too standard blues pentatonic-ish sometimes. It just a bit uninspired and dull at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭hacked

RHCP are a load of ass. It's impossible to sit and listen to an album by them because 99% of it is rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Most Irish rock bands are sh*t because they're too middle class!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Smashing Pumpkins were awful
    Flaming lips are awful
    R.E.M are awful
    Eric Clapton is boring.

Erasure wrote and performed some of the best pop songs ever.

80s hair metal produced some great bands.

Bonnie Raitt is possibly the best female vocalist ever.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

karaokeman wrote: »
    Here's a more original opinion.

Oxegen in general has much better line-ups than Glastonbury.

The only exception is this year Glasto had U2 as a headliner.

Of all your mental opinions on music, this actually makes some of them seem understandable. Congrats on winning the thread.

adox wrote: »

Bonnie Raitt is possibly the best female vocalist ever.

She's up there but i'd take Kate bush over her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Hair metal bands from the 1980s are usually considered a joke but some had impressive songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭dasdog

Afraid of rap and totally ignorant to Jazz. Fvcking paddy's..., 1963 is where talent was lost and childish gimmics took off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

El Pr0n wrote: »
    Prince is one of the greatest musicians working today/ever.

This surely cannot be disputed. In terms of pure musicality, the man is head and shoulders above practically everyone in popular music today. I think the fact that he's a bit of a d*ck stops people from getting into him and realising just how phenomenally talented he is. He's a genius, in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

lordgoat wrote: »
    She's up there but i'd take Kate bush over her.

I'd have no problem with Kates name being put up there. One of my favourite female artists.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

No one has said "The Beatles are overrated" on this page yet. What's happening?

I said it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I said it!
    I meant no one said it on page 16 of this thread.

I said it!

I listen to The Beatles, I just find them to be very ordinary.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Ordinary? While i am in no way a fan of the beatles, to call them ordinary is just wrong.

You might not like them for a variety of reasons but they were completely different to the vast majority of bands when they broke, they changed their sound throughout their career and were the first to use a variety of sounds that are still copied decades later. Ordinary they most certainly are not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

I quite like Limp Bizkit - Fred Durst's voice and lyrics apart. Good music, good production, and the only metal band I've ever heard who managed to groove in 5/4.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 breadman

Nolanger wrote: »
    Tori Amos ripped off Kate Bush big time!

Tori amos is the best female singer in the world,listen to her passion and piano playing on truly imaginative songs.Not a general purpose pop singer, and ive heard them all since the sixties.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭EarlERizer

I cant stand U2 (more Bono than the band),Elton John (he's Elton John) & Lady Gaga (Madonna wannabe,attention seeking mediawhore,nothing original)

My first interest in music was Trex , Adam & the Ants

Fav 80s song is "Feels like Heaven - Fiction Factory"

Rap sold it's soul in the early 90's thanks to the likes of Sean Puffy P poppa Poop Piddly Paddly whatever the fook he calls himself today, Snoop da soldout Doggy Dog,Jayzzzzzzzzzzzzzz etc

Oasis saved britrock,The Jam are legends,Paul Weller is the man,Bob Marley is a god,UB40 were the dogs.

My collection varies from Sinatra to Sex Pistols,Rod Stewart to Rave,I got pop,rock,rap,rave,reggae,classical,country,jazz,indie etc.

I think Will Young has an amazing voice.

I'll give anything an ear once.Todays musical choice is Drum n Bass,Jungle & Trance circa 90-96.

Freddie Mercury R.I.P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

People that say The Beatles were overrated, ordinary, average or that they sound like a lot of other bands are missing the point. The reason they sound "ordinary" or like other bands is that those bands drew inspiration from, or just downright copied, The Beatles. For instance how many non-Indian musicians used sitars before George Harrison played one on Norwegian Wood? Or how many guitarists played twelve string electric guitars before A Hard Days Night?

Look at the instruments they used on Strawberry Fields Forever Note especially what George Harrison played. How many other rock/pop bands have used a swarmandal? How many people would even know a swarmandal is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

I quite like Limp Bizkit - Fred Durst's voice and lyrics apart. Good music, good production, and the only metal band I've ever heard who managed to groove in 5/4.

Fred Durst eat your heart out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,334 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Unpopular opinions eh?

For all the talk of Bono being a knob (pretty undeniable), 'Achtung Baby' and 'Zooropa' were, for the most part, pretty bloody interesting bodies of work that ,imo, had a great influence on '90s alternative rock.

I await the ripping apart.

People that say The Beatles were overrated, ordinary, average or that they sound like a lot of other bands are missing the point. The reason they sound "ordinary" or like other bands is that those bands drew inspiration from, or just downright copied, The Beatles. For instance how many non-Indian musicians used sitars before George Harrison played one on Norwegian Wood? Or how many guitarists played twelve string electric guitars before A Hard Days Night?

Look at the instruments they used on Strawberry Fields Forever Note especially what George Harrison played. How many other rock/pop bands have used a swarmandal? How many people would even know a swarmandal is?

But thats what everyone says about The Beatles. Everyone considers them to be Godly and to be the creators of all types of music.

That is not true by any means or other. There are plenty of bands that would have existed without The Beatles. Can you honestly say you see a similarity between The Beatles and The Black Eyed Peas.

Another band who would by all means have been around today without The Beatles are Metallica. Metallica's main influence was Thin Lizzy and they too were from The Beatles time back in the 1960s.

I never said The Beatles were a bad bad or an untalented one. By implying "ordinary" I can emphatically say I can still see them as being talented just not the best thing that ever happened to pop/rock or a band who changed every aspect of my life.

But even if you look at other bands from The Beatles time, I still see them as being ordinary. They were no better than The Rolling Stones or other bands of the time.

Elvis Presley was the real music god during the 1960s and the 1970s. He created rock 'n' roll, which was much of what the Beatles were advancing in their own time, and Elvis didn't even create all music.

Frank Sinatra came before Elvis and before Sinatra there was a whole host of famous opera stars.

No one person/band created music. Its been with us for hundreds of years and all significant acts have had their own contribution. The Beatles were just one of many.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,334 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

The world was black and white, the Beatles brought the colour.

Look, the Beatles were, alongside say The Velvet Undergroud and maybe the Beach Boys, pretty bloody revolutionary.

What they were doing was BRAND NEW!

Elvis and Sinatra, whilst talented, never wrote a bloody song themselves, hardly pushed the envelope either.

Well, Elvis sang 'Black' songs at a time of segragation which was revolutionary in it's own big way!

As for the Black Eyed Peas, they are as musical as a Big Mac! Fcuking shameless lowest common denominator cnuts, them and Simon Cowell are in it for the money not the music!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Birneybau wrote: »
    The world was black and white, the Beatles brought the colour.

What a fúcking ridiculous comment, do you think the Beatles created music or something?
    Birneybau wrote: »
    Look, the Beatles were, alongside say The Velvet Undergroud and maybe the Beach Boys, pretty bloody revolutionary.

What they were doing was BRAND NEW!

Elvis and Sinatra, whilst talented, never wrote a bloody song themselves, hardly pushed the envelope either.

Well, Elvis sang 'Black' songs at a time of segragation which was revolutionary in it's own big way!

''Nothing really affected me until I heard Elvis. If there hadn't been Elvis, there would not have been The Beatles'' - John Lennon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

But even if you look at other bands from The Beatles time, I still see them as being ordinary. They were no better than The Rolling Stones or other bands of the time.
    Honestly, and I say this as a fan of the Rolling Stones, but they had a seeeerious tendency to write a song around a 3- or 4-chord pattern, repeat it infinitely, and fade out at the end of the song.
    As songwriters/composers, The Beatles became so much more sophisticated. (And George Martin was really important for them too, just to say)
    Elvis Presley was the real music god during the 1960s and the 1970s. He created rock 'n' roll, which was much of what the Beatles were advancing in their own time, and Elvis didn't even create all music.
    Elvis Presley didn't create anything. Sam Phillips (of Sun Studios) saw a market for black music performed by white performers, and cast Elvis in the role. It could just as easily be claimed that Chuck Berry "created" rock n' roll, but that wouldn't be strictly true either.
    Frank Sinatra came before Elvis and before Sinatra there was a whole host of famous opera stars.
    I'm not trying to have a go at you, but that - as a summation of the history of music - is beyond simplistic.
    No one person/band created music. Its been with us for hundreds of years and all significant acts have had their own contribution. The Beatles were just one of many.
    There you go: One of many significant acts who made a contribution.

Unpopular opinion #29803402937410222
    The term "very ordinary" is really annoying and comes across as pretentious.
    However, I do enjoy the term "aggressively mediocre" :P

Advertisement