Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Missing hard drive space

• 09-07-2011 10:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭

Hi folks

My hard drive is 500GB, and when I look at my Disk Management it says 465GB NTFS so lets assume it only 465GB (worst case). When I look at properties it says that I have 155GB free, so worst case scenario I am using 310GB according to this. I have used TreeSize to check what it is being used on and it says that I am only using 270GB. So it seems that I am missing somewhere between 40GB and 75GB on my hard drive.

I am using Vista, and I have done a disc cleanup, defrag etc

Any idea whats going on?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

Most hard drive makers measure: 1MB = 1000.

Where as your OS does it the proper way: 1MB = 1024.

a bit of a con but it could be argued either way is right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

But doesn't that just account for an error of 2.4% whereas I am missing something north of 10%?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

A hard drive cant just work, it needs to be formatted, and that can take up massive ammounts of space, 10% sounds normal, ive hard of one being something like 17% before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭ozmo

Each file has a mininum space it takes up - the amount varies.

If you have tens of thousands of files - all that wasted space at the end of each file adds up.

Do a RightClick - Properties on a folder - and you will see what the "Size" and "Size on disk" is.

Also - some pc's have a hidden partition - with a copy of the windows disks stored on them (and a lot of empty space also) - so you can do a complete restore of the pc. You can see the partitions in "Disk managment" app in the Manage app in the control panel.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

hobochris wrote: »
    Most hard drive makers measure: 1MB = 1000.

Where as your OS does it the proper way: 1MB = 1024.

a bit of a con but it could be argued either way is right.

It's not quite a con. The hard drive manufacturers are technically correct.
    1MB, with mega being the prefix, under the SI system of metric units means 1,000,000 bytes.
    Windows uses Mebibytes (MiB) which is 1,048,576 bytes, yet incorrectly labels it as a Megabyte.

This is why it seems you're loosing a few gigs of space, but you're actually getting exactly as advertised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

maki wrote: »
    It's not quite a con. The hard drive manufacturers are technically correct.
    1MB, with mega being the prefix, under the SI system of metric units means 1,000,000 bytes.
    Windows uses Mebibytes (MiB) which is 1,048,576 bytes, yet incorrectly labels it as a Megabyte.

This is why it seems you're loosing a few gigs of space, but you're actually getting exactly as advertised.

As I said could be argued either way.

metric system or binary derivative.

While I see valid arguments for both ways, I have a background in software development which would sway me towards using the binary based measure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

make sure its formatted in ntfs ,click propertys drive c,External drives are very cheap now,you should have anything important backed up anyway.Any new pc will have at least 200gig drive in it.
    1000 gig costs around 70euro on average.As posted before,many pcs have a hidden restore partition ,to restore the os .

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

1024*1024*1024 = 1073741824 so the marketing gimps have lied by 7.37%

you also have to remember that partitions are usually rounded down to the nearest cyliinder and one cylinder is used for the partition table

NTFS has a MFT$ hidden area for directory structure (and small files but your brain would explode if you start thinking about it) , yes file names and folder names take up space , and so does the backup copy

also when files are stored in a drive they take up full allocation units , even if there is only one byte in an allocation unit a full one is used

also windows hides lots of system files, and the pagefile, system restore alone can use up to 10% of the drive BTW

As long as you havve 10-15% free space on a drive it should not appreciably slow down (though files at the start of the drive will be faster because of higher i/o and lower seek times)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

marketing gimps

This is who you have to blame. As soon as they heard the largest number in relation to the hard drive, they jumped all over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

ricman wrote: »
    make sure its formatted in ntfs ,click propertys drive c,External drives are very cheap now,you should have anything important backed up anyway.Any new pc will have at least 200gig drive in it.
    1000 gig costs around 70euro on average.As posted before,many pcs have a hidden restore partition ,to restore the os .

I do have all the important stuff backed up (a couple of times).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

IF you have a small hard drive, turn off system restore,or reduce the amount of space it uses ,it can be adjusted ,use x per cent of drive space,If its a desktop pc,its easy to put in drive as drive e, set jumper to s,slave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Could be a dodgy partition, might need a format and re-install.

Advertisement