Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Paris - Roanne

• 10-07-2011 1:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭

Heading off at the beginning of Aug for our annual cycling trip to France for almost 4 weeks. We have the first 1/3 (Rennes, St Malo, Avranches, Bayeaux, Caen, Lisieux, Paris) and the 3rd part (Roanne-Nantes) sorted. We are a little bogged down and looking for any advice on the mid section (Fontainebleau-Roanne) so if anybody can offer any help for 2 aging cyclists for a not too challenging route to Roanne (2-3 days) 'twould be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 colm ó maonaigh

Sorry I cannot help with your original query but just to point out fyi that there is a dedicated cycle route out of Paris to Fontainebleau which will keep you off the extremely busy roads. If travelling on a weekend it can be very busy (the cycleroute) with cyclists, skaters and walkers.
    Can I assume you are travelling the Loire valley on your final section? If so there is a great little Cicerone book detailing the route (can't recall the author's name.)

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭dewindygap

Hi Colm and thanks for your contribution. I do know about that cycle-route from Paris and I also have that book you mentioned. There is also a good tourist guide/brochure from 'Loire a Velo' available but as far as I know tis only in French. Am a little surprised nobody else has posted as I'm sure many others have cycled this route. I've never been let down yet by this forum (nudge nudge).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Have you seen the Eurovelo6? That's the main cycle route that follows the Loire. I gathered Loire a velo included other routes and variations on the eurovelo.
    All the tourist offices that I called into earlier in June, had the local sections of the routes and many had the full guide which is available in English.
    The Loire is beautiful to cycle, never mind the wines.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭dewindygap

Hi Idleater, thanks for that. I am aware of that route. On the mention of French tourist offices, usually my first port of call, I find them excellent for maps, brochures and general assistance. I have a shelf full of brochures garnered from them over the years, mostly relating to cycling routes or 'voies verts', which I find to be an invaluable resource.
    As to my specific request ie best route from Fontainebleau to Roanne (possibly Nevers due to time constraints), I have spent hours using mapmyride etc trying to pick a suitable route but am amazed at the apparent lack of accommodation, be it Hotel, camping or chambre d'hotes in the area I want to travel.
    I really don't mind roughing it but my good wife does like to have the luxury of a shower after a good days cycle.

Advertisement