Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

building a green house

Options
  • 10-07-2011 1:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭

hi all

I don't use this forum much at all but thought i'd give it a blast. i have started growing my own strawberries and tomatoes, there coming along nicely however the little green house i bought will no longer cut it. I can't afford a proper green house and am running out of room for my many runners and i want to propagate my tomatoes too. I was thinking of constructing a green house from timber frame and polythene. is this recommended. has anybody got any advise or tips?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭brian_t

SNAKEDOC wrote: »
    I was thinking of constructing a green house from timber frame and polythene. is this recommended.

Such green houses (or Polytunnels) are indeed very common not only in private gardens but many commercial nurseries have them too.

I have a glasshouse myself so I can't give any tips except to say to make sure to get a proper grade polythene sheet with UV inhibitors.

Also I think that you will want a door at both ends to allow for proper venting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Agreed, a polytunnel is the way to go. I am gathering the materials for one myself at the moment. This seems to be the best set of instructions around, but you can find instructions for more light-weight constructions using thinner PVC pipe.

http://www.overthegardengate.net/userpages/pp_view.asp?fname=polytunnel&page=1

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭James_M

I've just built a lean to greenhouse and temporarily have polythene on it but plan to glaze it eventually. Works well if your space is limited. Mine is around 8ft x 4ft.

Its fairly doable and a lot cheaper than the built models on the market

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Mr.Triffid

talking to a guy today and he said poly tunnels can last ten years, you'd wanna get the av resistant sheeting though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Windows! Always important in any greenhouse, if your going with a glasshouse design but replacing the glass with plastic, make sure you have enough windows in the roof. Even the old 1940s-50s wooden glasshouses had windows in the side like the old house notch windows. If you have a low level greenhouse the air heats up quickly so thats why you need the windows to help keep crops at ideal temp, problem do with that design you don't have much of a warm air buffer zone when it cools down at night thats why the new glasshouses are easily 4m high.

Advertisement