Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best treatment for pressure treated sleepers?

Options
  • 10-07-2011 1:42am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭

Recently had new pressure treated sleepers installed in the garden.

Just wondering what would be the best preservitive/treatment for them,so that they last as long as possible.

Any suggestions??

Thanks.:)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Sorted now.
    My girlfriend is a busy lady indeed.:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

she missed a bit...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

*Awaits know-it-all entering thread to tell you she is doing something wrong*

she missed a bit...

She did the main sleeper faces 1st with the roller and then cut in with the brush.;)

She chose black,as it suits the garden,the house colour and door too..

mikom wrote: »
    *Awaits know-it-all entering thread to tell you she is doing something wrong*

I know what you are saying......

But,do you know what.......

I really couldnt care less what other people might negatively have to say about it.

My other half has designed it on paper and on computer from scratch,dug up the old sh1tty garden and built and planted this new garden.She sourced all the railway sleepers,Mypex,manure,compost,bark chips,trees,hedges,plants and flowers herself and also sourced the large oak tree stump as a feature.

Im delighted with it,and Im gobsmacked by her passion and professionalism and shes very happy with it.

Thats all that matters to me.:)

P.S-Shes about to cover the garden in various bulbs,for early next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Nice job. I think he was only joking though, no?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

me? most definitely.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 kev23f

looks great, did you post pictures of your garden before? I've just done the same anyways; made boxes out of treated railway sleepers, am delighted with them. I made them a bit wide, so they could fit long rows of rose bushes at the back, and i've just finished putting in what seems like 5 million assorted bulbs towards the front. Roll on spring.

kev23f wrote: »
    looks great, did you post pictures of your garden before? I've just done the same anyways; made boxes out of treated railway sleepers, am delighted with them. I made them a bit wide, so they could fit long rows of rose bushes at the back, and i've just finished putting in what seems like 5 million assorted bulbs towards the front. Roll on spring.

Yeah,theres quite a few pics on this gardening forum of the garden,from a horrible mix of building site materials and grass ( more weeds to be honest) to what you see there now in the pics attached.

Lets just say that my other half likes her gardening alot and isnt afraid to get stuck in and do the hard graft too.

She seems to have a liking from using large hilti drills,concrete breakers,whacker plates,turf cutter and rotivating machines too.

She also absolutely lifted the builder out of it,when she saw him mixing in some stones and rubble into the soil when they were clearing up the front garden of building materials.He then tried to lay old crappy soil on top and then spread some grass seed over it the next day,and he even tried to claim that he had dug all the rubble out of it,when he hadnt.

He got the shock of his life when she grabbed the shovel and fork and dug up a corner of the garden infront of him (to call his bluff),and she then explained about soil structure to him,and in great detail too.:D

She spent 2 days hand digging out all the stones and rubble and then rotivating it,and mixing in compost and manure too.

Oh,and roll on Spring too,indeed.:)

me? most definitely.

I know you were joking,I understand what tongue and cheek posts are and I know when they are posted.

Also,its not about what you posted,as I dont have any problem with that either..

Lets just say that Ive had a run in before with other "expert" people,who told me this,that and the other.And I had to explain various things to these people to justify my posts and pictures and my girlfriends gardening and planting methods..

Couldnt be bothered with what these people have to say anymore,so the less said about them then the better.

Thanks again.:)

• Advertisement

Quick pic of how it looks so far,got soaking wet taking the pic in the rain.

My neighbour was geting out of her car and laughing at me.

She must think Im nutts for taking pics of a garden in the pi55ing wet rain.:pac::D

My girlfriend is going to fill all around the multi-stem birch tree with bulbs like white and purple snowdrops,tulips and crocuss too.Theres some other mad names of bulbs that shes planting aswell,but I cant speak latin,so Im dont know what the hell they are.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

My other half has designed it on paper and on computer from scratch,dug up the old sh1tty garden and built and planted this new garden.She sourced all the railway sleepers,Mypex,manure,compost,bark chips,trees,hedges,plants and flowers herself and also sourced the large oak tree stump as a feature.

Im delighted with it,and Im gobsmacked by her passion and professionalism and shes very happy with it.

Thats all that matters to me.:)

Jaysus man, You could have helped out a little bit. :eek:

johnayo wrote: »
    Jaysus man, You could have helped out a little bit. :eek:

Why???

Im not a gardening expert and I dont design them or plant them either.

I wouldnt know a flower from a weed,if truth be known.

This is my other halfs profession and also her passion,so I just let her do what she wants to do with regards the gardens.Shes the professional and the expert,not me.

regards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭deandean

Paddy147 MARRY HER NOW! BEFORE SOMEONE ELSE FINDS OUT ABOUT HER!:p

deandean wrote: »

Dont worry,shes a keeper (110%) and we are working on that part too.;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

deandean wrote: »

I might even marry her myself. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

Can I borrow her, for a while? For my garden, of course.

Poulgorm wrote: »
    Can I borrow her, for a while? For my garden, of course.

You can.Her daily rates are very reasonable too.;):D

Shes very good at her job and not afraid of hard graft either.She looks at a weedy horrible patch of land and can see what it will look like,in her head.
    Shes very creative,and can see what something will look like,even before shes dug up a sod of grass. indeed.

She gets stuck in and gets the hard ground work done,with no messing around or excuses,and she would easily put alot of men to shame too.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭St. Leibowitz

Lovely work there. Well done to her.

Lovely work there. Well done to her.

Thanks.:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement