Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Custom Rifle Builder

Options
  • 10-07-2011 8:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭

Got this paint job on my stock, barrel and action (cerakote) done at Dom's Custom Rifles. I am delighted with it :D
    Dom is a nice guy a skilled craftsman and an absolute stickler for detail. If a job is not 110% then it doesn't leave the premises, and its as simple as that. Watch this space!

Thanks also to Edi of PSE Composites who supplied the stock. I scrapped a Mcmillan for it. The PSE stock is 10.5 ounces lighter than a smaller mcmillan, the stock also fits better,shoots better and is cheaper than a Mcmillan. You dont have to wait half a year for it or go off and shell out 200 euro extra for a bedding job.

Here are some pictures, they don't do the job justice.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭BELOWaverageIQ

What is the action, Sako? and what did the gun start life as?
    Where is the gunsmith based?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭ballistic

What is the action, Sako? and what did the gun start life as?
    Where is the gunsmith based?

Sako 75 action. Gun started as a sako 75 hunter. Dom is based in Wexford near Kiltealy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Irishwolf81

What caliber is it, did you get a new barrel and the action blue printed?or was it just a paint job? what kind of money does he charge?

looks good man.

What caliber is it, did you get a new barrel and the action blue printed?or was it just a paint job? what kind of money does he charge?

looks good man.

Just the paint job. The rest was done years ago by a guy in England. The calibre is 270 win. You may contact him for a price. Sako actions usually don't need to be blueprinted. Dom's Custom Rifles is a new company had he been in existence a few years ago he would have got the job. I must admit that I have an itch for a Sako trg rebarrelled in 6 XC so I might have a chat to him about that! Its great that we dont have to leave the country any more to get a bit of custom work done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭dev110

I think it is great that a new Custom Rifle builder is coming on the scene but I think I will be waiting a year or more to see what he can turn out and see what people think of his work because as of yet he is only a painter and not a custom rifle builder.

Ireland is definitively growing in the shooting sector with the lads doing so well against the best in the world and with two defined rifle builders and another on the way. The future looks promising.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Hondata92

hi ballistic

What has he built so far?

Whats his contact details or has he got a website?
    ballistic wrote: »
    Got this paint job on my stock, barrel and action (cerakote) done at Dom's Custom Rifles.

Is that the coating that has to be baked onto the rifle:confused:

Painting an odd rifle hardly makes someone a custom rifle builder but sure best of luck anyway

Hondata92 wrote: »
    hi ballistic

What has he built so far?

Whats his contact details or has he got a website?

Is that the coating that has to be baked onto the rifle:confused:

Yes, temp as low as 60 celcius.

Painting an odd rifle hardly makes someone a custom rifle builder but sure best of luck anyway

Of course it doesn't but it doesn't make him a bad one either.

Doesn't have a website as far as I know. Don't know what he has built so far you may talk to him. I can only talk about my experience and it was second to none and I wouldnt hesitate about letting him do a custom job for me if I had the money that is! It is my opinion that by this time next year he will be well respected as a rifle builder. Thats just my opinion! Call Domenic on 087 2533646.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

ballistic wrote: »
    Of course it doesn't but it doesn't make him a bad one either.

Doesn't have a website as far as I know. Don't know what he has built so far you may talk to him. I can only talk about my experience and it was second to none and I wouldnt hesitate about letting him do a custom job for me if I had the money that is! It is my opinion that by this time next year he will be well respected as a rifle builder. Thats just my opinion! Call Domenic on 087 2533646.

Any more info on Dom, so folk can do a background check on his security arrangements etc if sending a rifle to him?

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Hondata92

This thread is a bit off since you say he is a custom rifle builder but you dont know of any rifle he has built yet:confused:

I think the thread title is very misleading and should be changed because so far by your account he seems to have only painted a few stocks and rifles

Was at the competition the other week and the majority of/if not all of the irish competitors rifles were built by a guy called Fergal White from Athlone.
    My next move is a custom rifle and he is the only one id get to do it because the results that week spoke for themselves.

Either way best of luck to him with his new company

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭bazza888

guys everyone has to start somewhere,why not ring the guy before jumping to conclusions see what hes about and what he does?iv never heard of him either but give a guy a break,maybe he just does paint jobs or maybe hes going to do custom rifles but fergal and john had to start somewhere aswell and they have both turned out to be fantastic rifle builders!

• Advertisement

Any more info on Dom, so folk can do a background check on his security arrangements etc if sending a rifle to him?

He is a R.F.D.

This thread is a bit off since you say he is a custom rifle builder but you dont know of any rifle he has built yet:confused:

I think the thread title is very misleading and should be changed because so far by your account he seems to have only painted a few stocks and rifles

Was at the competition the other week and the majority of/if not all of the irish competitors rifles were built by a guy called Fergal White from Athlone.
    My next move is a custom rifle and he is the only one id get to do it because the results that week spoke for themselves.

Either way best of luck to him with his new company

The name of the company is Dom's Custom Rifles so thats why I called the thread what I did (a bit of a give away). I (me one person) don't personally know of any rifle he has built but that doesn't mean he hasn't built some. I also used the word NEW so dont be suprised that most people wont have rifles made by him. I can only talk about my experience. I thought it would be a nice thing to tell the guys here about the job I got done thats all I dont want to get into a bickering match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

..............Was at the competition the other week and the majority of/if not all of the irish competitors rifles were built by a guy called Fergal White from Athlone.........

One rifle there was built for a friend of mine from a Remmy action and it wasn't built by Fergal.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Alot of the rifles the Irish (FTR anyway) were using were built by Fergal White, however there was a couple by other builders both Irish and some from abroad.

In relation to the chap in the OP. I say more power to him. So he is only spraying/painting stocks for the moment. Every builder has to start from somewhere and usually at the bottom. The custom scene is a tricky one to get into, and most often long years trying to convince people you are worth taking "a chance" on. Our mentality is to go with those we know best and have the longest record. If it stayed that way there would be no new builders in Ireland.

It can only be a good thing to have more rifle builders in the country. It will give more options to lads, and create a competitive market. It could be years before we see the chap in the OP producing rifles on a continuous basis, and i know from taking to one builder that he would welcome new lads on the scene too.

We have enough lads in Ireland with the necessary enginering/precision backrounds coupled with a passion for shooting to have a decent market and limit the amount of custom builds that have to come from outside Ireland.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭GixxerThou

Called in to see Dominics set up tonight, Very impressive place he has built, top quality equipment, cnc lathe etc, big gun room and all the necessary security equipment. Runs his own window manufacturing business and has a lot of experience with precision machines and making stuff. He is a fanatical deer stalker and has shot all over the world, he is also a keen target shot, has a very nice custom 6.5x284. He is getting into custom rifle building primarily as a hobby, he is like many of us a gun nut and has a love for accuracy. I think he will do very well as he is a perfectionist and has the time and equipment to do it right. He is good to talk to and has a good attitude. I have first hand experience of custom rifle builders in Ireland, some good, some not so good but I think Dom will be a huge asset to Irish shooting when he is up and running.. Dont judge the man till you speak to him, if nothin else he is good craic and his personal selection of guns are well worth a look. At the very worst we will all have somewhere new to go for a gawk and talk ****e..... how bad?

It would be great to see the Custom scene being more popular here.
    I was out today with my .223 Remmy action for the first time in ages

I was looking at all the dings in the stock, thinking maybe I'll head down south :D

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭stick shooter

Great to see a new and upcoming gun builder coming onto the irish scene . And to have a great deal of previous engineering experience coming into this trade can only stand to the man ,Also the fact he seems to be a keen hunter/shooter means he knows what is required to build accurate rifles and how they should perform . Plus the service he is providing with stocks will make him a one stop shop .
    Best of luck to Doms custom rifles in the future .

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Mr.Flibble

Not just a stock-painter then?

Good, sounds promising.

I would doubt he bought a cnc lathe to paint stocks ;)

With his interest in hunting and target shooting i can see him doing quiet well in f/ftr builds as well as hunting builds .;)

He can only be an advantage to the irish shooters :D

• Advertisement

I always said BUY IRISH (if possible) and we have some of the Most Talented people in the world here ;)

I am strongly considering a re-barrel for my .308 Stalking Rifle 18" Truflite :D

Your dead right but an 18" barrel might come as not so legal length but could be wrong ;);) Maybe in restricted form but dont think so ;)
    As for trueflite , I would reckon dom's custom rifles will be fitting them along with other top brands .;)

Well, AS I already am a restricted owner one more would be no major deal

I have a 20" but with a mod on she is 24" and 22" would be so much more agile

I put a Truflite on my .223 and she has not missed since ;)
    Quality is amazing.
    Never used a Kreiger but maybe it might be worth a shot

Dead right , I would reckon dom will do a sweet job on your rifle ;) Love to see how it turns out and how it shoots .

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Was talking to Fergal White today and the subject came up. He was delighted to here about the new builder. Now while this thread is about Dom and his business, and i do not wish to re-direct the focus of it, Fergal White asked me to post a welcome on his behalf.

I would like to convey my best wishes to Dom and wish him every success in his new endeavour. I believe there is no reason that in a few years with some new builders that we could not have our own, self supported, custom rifle scene in Ireland, and Doms new business is another step in the right direction. We already have some of the best precision, metal, enginering workers in the world so the foundations are there. On a personal note i would like to extend a personal welcome to Dom and an open invitation to contact me at any time for any reason even just a chat.

Regards,

Fergal White.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Fair play and fantastic to see a fellow rifle builder to welcome a new comer to the scene .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

I would have to agree, it great to see these guys develop their business's. What it does is put this service within the reach of lads and lassies like myself , who shoot on a tight budget.
    Before I would of had to send my rifles over to the UK and with the cost and hassle involved it that and loosing a fortune on the conversion rate, also deal with a person I did not meet Face 2 Face.

But now ... I have had 2 rifles re-crowned, a trigger sorted and a stock sorted with in the last month and all for an extremely fair price!!! Not to mention the dozen cups of tea, (Thanks Fergg) ;):D:D

To me its great to see any man try to set himself up in business and I would wish them all the best... but when its a service which brings MY sport to a new level, I can only say a big thank you to all these lads and I will no longer dream of the holy grail of a re barrel, because it's now within reach. Just my opinion.

Fish

Advertisement