Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Large Velcro Sheet Needed...

Options
  • 10-07-2011 8:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Hi,
    Not sure if this is the right forum, but I'll take a punt.

What I am looking for is a large, black sheet of velcro. I'd be talking 3 or 4 foot long and 2 foot wide. I can't for the life of me find any Irish-based companies online that might provide this, or am I just looking in the wrong place?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,448 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I have never seen Velcro for sale other than as narrrow strips. Could you assemble strips into sheets with glue and stitching? It usually has a woven selve-edge so there is every possibility that it is not made any wider.

What on earth are you proposing to use it for? I have a feeling that after a certain size it probably would not be any more effective for being bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Stuttgart

It's an odd one alright! Perhaps there is another solution to what I need. Basically, I need an easily removable/transferable material/object that can be wrapped around a meter-long piece of piping that is about four inches in diameter. It needs to be robust enough so that it won't fall off in the outdoors. Velcro was the first thing that came into my mind. Any thoughts?

It doesn't have to be Velcro all over, a narrow strip on the edge will hold if it is pressed firmly in place. Or put a number of strips on at right angles to the edge of the covering, like on sandals. Alternatively, depending on how often you have to move it, just use plastic ties and put new ones on each time.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Stuttgart

Thanks for that. The reason I was keen on using full velcro is that it needs to be very strong. It simply cannot come loose, it would be a disaster if it did, so I'm not sure that I would have faith in narrow strips.

I'm intrigued, what is the pipe for that the loss of cover would be disasterous?:eek: Anyway, another issue with velcro could be that eventually it will get filled with bits of rubbish and dust and then will not fasten as firmly. How about clip fasteners, the kind you get on luggage straps, or even straps and buckles. Or eyelets and a lace, or the kind of loop fasteners you get on jeep canvases - you could put a lock through the last one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Stuttgart wrote: »
    It's an odd one alright! Perhaps there is another solution to what I need. Basically, I need an easily removable/transferable material/object that can be wrapped around a meter-long piece of piping that is about four inches in diameter. It needs to be robust enough so that it won't fall off in the outdoors. Velcro was the first thing that came into my mind. Any thoughts?

Is your name Carlos by any chance?:D

Advertisement