Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap WDTV Replacement Build?

Options
  • 10-07-2011 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭

Hi there,
    My WDTV media player is being RMA'd and a refund is on it's way so I'm thinking of throwing together a cheap replacement. I have more or less decided on the Cooler Master Elite 360 case because the price is right and I have seen a few decent builds using this case.

My plan is to get the parts in stages as I cannot afford to buy everything as once.

I'm looking for suggestions on the CPU and Motherboard combo, AMD or Intel with integrated graphics to start.( a sneaky graphics card will be the last thing I purchase)

I don't need an optical drive, keyboard/mouse, OS or monitor.

Looking forward to your suggestions.
    Thanks,
    Moo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

have u already got a pc if so just buy apple tv2 great bit of kit and buy a 2tb hd to go in your pc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭Nollog

Get an atom+nvidia ion, and put it in a small box with ram etc.
    Anything made in the past 1/2 year(s) of those lines will play 1080p with even half a jig of ram.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭M00lers

Thanks for the suggestions. But Apple TV doesn't interest me, I have an unhealthy hatred of iTunes, it drives me mental. Thanks though!!!

Was looking at having a bit more power than an Atom, I know they are up to the job but not for me.

I'm thinking the i3 2100 would be more or less perfect but I'm struggling to pick an AMD alternative. Anyone?

I would be gaming a bit on this eventually so that should be considered?

If you can give us an idea of your budget on this we can try help you.Also apple tv can run xbmc so itunnes is not needed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

massy086 wrote: »
    If you can give us an idea of your budget on this we can try help you.Also apple tv can run xbmc so itunnes is not needed

Its limited to 720p though, everything 1080p gets downscaled

• Advertisement

PogMoThoin wrote: »

True but 720 is enough for most and the fact it can run xbmc. Is there a cheaper or better buy out there I'm interested as I'll probably be buying something in the next two weeks

Budget for processer and mobo would be approx 200 euro, the rest of the parts I can sort out myself.
    PogMoThoin wrote: »

Thanks, forgot about that.

True but 720 is enough for most and the fact it can run xbmc. Is there a cheaper or better buy out there I'm interested as I'll probably be buying something in the next two weeks

I sure Apple TV is wonderful but I want a PC in my living room that has a wee bit of grunt!!

I could spec myself an i5 2500k/z68 no problem but with all the options for the "lesser" processors I'm really baffled!! Especially with the AMDs, and the fact that some processors may let you unlock extra cores etc.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

I assume you want something thats pretty low on power. If so, something like this would be good. 4GB of RAM is probably overkill though.

Total build cost: €179.11 + €30 shipping
    Intel Core i3-2100T Box, LGA1155, 35W TDP €103.36
    MSI H61M-E33 (B3), Intel H61, mATX, DDR3 €52.30
    4GB Kingston ValueRAM PC3-10667U CL9 €23.45

deconduo wrote: »
    I assume you want something thats pretty low on power. If so, something like this would be good. 4GB of RAM is probably overkill though.

Total build cost: €179.11 + €30 shipping
    Intel Core i3-2100T Box, LGA1155, 35W TDP €103.36
    MSI H61M-E33 (B3), Intel H61, mATX, DDR3 €52.30
    4GB Kingston ValueRAM PC3-10667U CL9 €23.45

Cheers deconduo, I havn't looked into it much but whats the difference between H61 and H67 mobos, and I'm leaning towards a different case now so a full ATX mobo would be preferable to me.

I'm thinking the title of this thread is a bit misleading, the "WDTV replacement" is not really a replacement but an excuse to go for a bit of overkill!!!

• Advertisement

Cheers deconduo, I havn't looked into it much but whats the difference between H61 and H67 mobos, and I'm leaning towards a different case now so a full ATX mobo would be preferable to me.

I'm thinking the title of this thread is a bit misleading, the "WDTV replacement" is not really a replacement but an excuse to go for a bit of overkill!!!

Well there's no reason to get anything better than the motherboard I linked unless you want to crossfire or something :P The full ATX motherboards are more expensive and don't add anything significant.

deconduo wrote: »
    Well there's no reason to get anything better than the motherboard I linked unless you want to crossfire or something :P The full ATX motherboards are more expensive and don't add anything significant.

Thanks again deconduo,

Would possibly stick a SSD in there at some stage, so a SATA-600 mobo would be a nice to have.

Do both the H61 and H67 allow you to use the on board video on the i3?
    I see the board you linked to has a HDMI output so I'm guessing the answer is yes.

Take the RAM off the 200 euro budget if neccesary.

Thanks again deconduo,

Would possibly stick a SSD in there at some stage, so a SATA-600 mobo would be a nice to have.

Do both the H61 and H67 allow you to use the on board video on the i3?
    I see the board you linked to has a HDMI output so I'm guessing the answer is yes.

Take the RAM off the 200 euro budget if neccesary.

This is the cheapest one that has SATA3:
    http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=43139&agid=1603

Yes H61 and H67 both allow you to use the onboard video.

Advertisement