Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do builders opt for Intel own boards?

Options
  • 10-07-2011 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭

Well just considering some motherboard options for a new Sandybridge build and while looking at the various retailers e.g. ASUS, Gigabyte, MSI I thought I never looked at Intel's own retail boards so lets have a little look.

http://www.intel.com/cd/products/services/emea/eng/motherboards/desktop/322402.htm

They aren't as feature packed or "Advanced" as the other retailers though they seem to have a loyal following online from certain quarters (also accounting for brand loyalty).

That said reviews usual praise energy efficency, low thermals (despite lack of fancy heatsinks etc) and rock solid BIOS.
    That's really the selling point for Intel's own retail boards? It's a design orientated around doing the basics very well so less chance for things to go wrong / less complications?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

They were pretty popular around the early core 2 duo days IIRC. I've never owned one but the selling points you listed don't really set them apart from anyone else. Most boards today run cool, BIOS is stable in any of the mainstream boards with good reviews and a decent following. Most manufacturers try hard to work on efficiency, but I think choosing other components will have a bigger impact.

It's really about what they offer at what price. Brand loyalty and building on past experiences is fine, but you shouldn't be paying huge differences - manufactures' qualities change across series and even price ranges.

Advertisement