Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I stick in a graphics Cards

Options
  • 10-07-2011 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

Have :
    Compaq 315eu
    Windows 7 Pro (x64) Service Pack 1
    2.90 gigahertz AMD Athlon II X2 245
    MOBO :FOXCONN 2AAF 1.00
    ATI Radeon 3000 Graphics
    And I think PSU is 180v

As the title asks can I upgrade and if so what's the best I can hope for without having to change anything else.

Or what's the minimum I'd have to change.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Is the PSU 180 watts? Or did you mean it is 18.0 Volts DC?

If it is 180 watts, I would advise upping it a bit if you want to put in a decent graphics card. Also go for a low-noise one. It'll be a tad more expensive, but worth it in the end.

As for graphics cards, I am a bit out of touch, but someone else will be able to advise you.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭zale

Sorry syklops,

My bad that should have been a W for watts not a V.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Weird... According to HP that unit should come with a 230W PSU...

I don't suppose you could open up that PC and post a pic of the side of that PSU? It should be covered in a big label which gives all the details and specifications of the unit.

PSU

IMG_0256-1.jpg

MOBO...like you didn't know :rolleyes:

IMG_0254-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭M00lers

New PSU required methinks!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

Whats your budget?

Recently ATI 5670's have dropped to about 50 euros, it'll run most games fine
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Piw2RjMR2ys&feature=related

But I wouldn't run one on that PSU, its simply awful, you could pick up a better one for about 30 to 40 euros

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

holy Batman! 11A?? unRAIL!

/ill grab my coat now

So my computer is the equivalent of a smart car :P

So now I'm looking for recommendations on a psu and card.

Budget wise I'm not sure as I have no idea how much these things cost. Say €100 for both but flexible.

And thanks for the replies

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

First of all what you expect to play with that pc?

Hiw much ram ut has? If you want to play something in low to med with steady fps I would suggest 5770. You will need a pau of around 350-400watt

Or You could buy a proper good psu, for around 70eu? It will be handy when you will do a new biuld as psu don't get out of date like pc components. You will allways need psu and I can't see power usage to go beyond 750watt in near future.

All in all I would suggest to spend around 200eu to get something noticeable.

First of all what you expect to play with that pc?

Hiw much ram ut has? If you want to play something in low to med with steady fps I would suggest 5770. You will need a pau of around 350-400watt

Or You could buy a proper good psu, for around 70eu? It will be handy when you will do a new biuld as psu don't get out of date like pc components. You will allways need psu and I can't see power usage to go beyond 750watt in near future.

All in all I would suggest to spend around 200eu to get something noticeable.

My Kids are into the COD games and I've 4GB Ram in.

• Advertisement

Well cod is not power hungry. I guess 5770/6770 with some 400watt psu will do you for a bit.

It will set you down by 150eu I guess.

Is that pre built pc ir custom? I would not put too much money in to previuos one, just a but to keep you rolling for now. Later on just do a custom pc.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,155 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Is there a PCI Express slot in that? it doesn't look like it from the picture supplied .....

Is there a PCI Express slot in that? it doesn't look like it from the picture supplied .....

I assumed this was the PCI-E slot, but at that resolution its hard to tell. It looks too big to be a normal PCI slot though, and the notches above it look like PCI-E x1 slots.

emsI1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7,155 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

deconduo wrote: »
    I assumed this was the PCI-E slot, but at that resolution its hard to tell. It looks too big to be a normal PCI slot though, and the notches above it look like PCI-E x1 slots.

emsI1.png

to me that looks like solder points where a PCI Express slot should be!

It is hard to tell though

to me that looks like solder points where a PCI Express slot should be!

It is hard to tell though

Mmm if thats the case then it might be difficult. You can use the PCI-E x1 lanes with a bit of modding, though at the cost of reduced performance.

Bad news, it looks very much like that mobo has only PCI Expressx1 slot (basically much slower than the "standard" PCI x16)

Fine little office/net machine.. but it is the anti-gaming machine

Building a new gaming PC would set you back about 350 euros min.

Sorry about pic res.....That hi-lighted by deconduo is just solder, Had to google pci e x1 and thats what i have.

Bad news but just how bad, can I still stick in a card or is it not worth doing.

@ deconduo Screen res is 1920x1080

Thought buyin a pre build and adding to it would be cheaper.

IMG_0254.jpg

zale wrote: »
    Sorry about pic res.....That hi-lighted by deconduo is just solder, Had to google pci e x1 and thats what i have.

Bad news but just how bad, can I still stick in a card or is it not worth doing.

@ deconduo Screen res is 1920x1080

Thought buyin a pre build and adding to it would be cheaper.

IMG_0254.jpg

lads, i dont want to sound stupid... but does it even has any sort of pci etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

lads, i dont want to sound stupid... but does it even has any sort of pci etc?

It does, but none that he could put a gfx card into. just x1 slots...

• Advertisement

So is I f***ed.

Pretty much, unless you get a new motherboard, but I wouldn't recommend it. Maybe sell it and put the proceeds towards a new cheap build.

Pretty much, unless you get a new motherboard, but I wouldn't recommend it. Maybe sell it and put the proceeds towards a new cheap build.

Well feck that, selling not an opinion only got the shaggin thing. Looks like I'll be turning the spare room into an office instead of games room. :rolleyes:

Don't despair just yet, a new mobo might be an option for you, I'm sure the other lads on here will let you know if it's an option worth considering, my knowledge on AMD is pretty poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

I thought that it would be BTX, but it looks like mATX design, so upgrade might not be difficult.
    You'd want to take measurements to be sure that the screw holes match up.

Is that the one you have (attached). I'd forgotten that Compaq was owned by HP now. That's an mATX board. You can upgrade that alright, but your list of upgrades is gettting longer!

That is a pretty mean board (mean not meaning a good thing here like "wow, that's one mean bike").

It does, but none that he could put a gfx card into. just x1 slots...

I must be blind m8. I can't see ****!

I see a spot where it should be, but it is just blank.

What brand pc is that? Looks very big standartish m8.

The long row of dots is where it should be. The small black slots are the PCI-E x1 slots. This is all in the upper right-hand quadrant.

Brand is Compaq. Post no. 1 (maybe you are blind!). ;)

Monotype wrote: »
    The long row of dots is where it should be. The small black slots are the PCI-E x1 slots. This is all in the upper right-hand quadrant.

Brand is Compaq. Post no. 1 (maybe you are blind!). ;)

I do have glasses on ;).

Dunno why by I expected pci slots to be a bit bigger. Ages since I took notice of them lol :)

Cheers!

• Advertisement

Bit of a tricky situation.

I've done basic gaming PC's before for 150ish euros, but it involves know-how and quite a bit of scouring on Ebay. Refurbished Dell or HP base unit with XP and a core2duo processor. Then picking up a second-hand decent graphics card.

I've one in the house at the mo and it regularly runs Battlefield Bad Company 2, Starcraft 2, etc without a bother on a 19 inch monitor.

Apart from that, to get a shiny new budget gaming machine from Germany would cost you about 350 euros minimum.

Advertisement