Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SD Card GPS software

Options
  • 10-07-2011 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks.

Right, So i got a new stereo (Chinese nobrand unit from Lightinthebox.com) for my car with an integrated GPS.
    It doesn't have any software or maps installed on it but can load them from a SD card.

I don't know too much about GPS's.. Used a few but never really had a reason to own one.

Has anyone any suggestions on what the best software I could download for the card would be?

I don't mind if it's free or "pay for" software but I'm just looking for something that is well laid out and has good maps for Ireland and the UK.

Any suggestions or links with info would be great.

Cheers,

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Generally these generic devices are poor for getting map updates.
    Is there a status screen which gives you any information as to Brand, Model & what maps are being used?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

KoolKid wrote: »
    Generally these generic devices are poor for getting map updates.
    Is there a status screen which gives you any information as to Brand, Model & what maps are being used?

Ok.
    From looking at the unit's specs Here.

GPS Processor Samsung S3C2440A-40
    Main Frequency 400MHZ
    Store Space 64MB
    GPS Card Slot Standard SD Card
    Support Map Finean,IGO,Route66,TOMTOM
    GPS Map Language Portuguese,Traditional Chinese,English ,Japanese ,Russian,German,French,Korean,Spanish,Polish
    Voice Guidance Cruise Yes
    GPS Antenna 1 GPS antenna interface on the back
    GPS Dual Zone Yes,you can enjoy music and radio while navigation

I may have just answered my own question :o
    I'll try just downloading the tomtom maps for Ireland, put them on a SD cand, stick it in and see what happens.

I've got a feeling it won't be that easy, but you never know :p

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

You could check with TomTom if they support that device.
    There Forums are here
    http://discussions.tomtom.com/
    Their Support Page also has other contact options.

Advertisement