Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ignore list and private messaging.

Options
  • 10-07-2011 1:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭

I've noticed when you have someone on your ignore list their pms still arrive in your mail box, giving curiosity a chance to gnaw away.

Is it not possible to block the ignored user from messaging you in the first place?

Also, when you have disabled private messaging, moderators can still pm you, even though it's not in a moderating role. Is that correct?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

A mod won't know you have them disabled perhaps, so you may have to tell them, perhaps a warning could be made so that a mod knows a user has them disabled before they send a message, and then they would only send a message pertaining to modding.

I would have thought ignoring a user would stop pms too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭Emiko

A mod won't know you have them disabled perhaps, so you may have to tell them, perhaps a warning could be made so that a mod knows a user has them disabled before they send a message, and then they would only send a message pertaining to modding.

I would have thought ignoring a user would stop pms too.

I disabled messaging, and a message came through.

Then I used ignore, and another message came through, although I had to undo ignore in order to read it.

I was just wondering if blocking the sender isn't a better option in the first place.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

How did a message come through, was it a moderator? Can you put them on ignore?

How did a message come through,
    Dunno
    was it a moderator?
    Yes.
    Can you put them on ignore?
    Yes.

then only messages from moderators will come through. I don't think they should even be able to be ignored and that users should have to use them. A warning like I said should be put in place and if a mod is abusing this position it should be removed from them.

• Advertisement

then only messages from moderators will come through. I don't think they should even be able to be ignored and that users should have to use them. A warning like I said should be put in place and if a mod is abusing this position it should be removed from them.

There was no abuse of any sort.

Just I didn't want any mail from anybody, and was surprised when it came through.

I mean that you do not want messages and if a warning was put in place and a mod still contacted you for personal reasons then that would be abuse.

As there is no warning,a mod does not know you are ignoring them and so it is not be abuse of a mod position as of yet. Only if you tell them that they are on ignore and they persist with messages would they be abusing their position.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Under the User CP, Edit Option there's an option to receive PM's fron contacts and moderators. Make sure that is not ticked.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    Under the User CP, Edit Option there's an option to receive PM's fron contacts and moderators. Make sure that is not ticked.

I'm fairly sure it was unticked.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Mods pms have to be able to by pass that to give warnings, infractions and ban messages.
    If the messages you are getting are not in relation to that and are nothing to do with that mods duties then inform them you do not wish to converse with them outside of offical mod relating pms, if they keep pming you about stuff which is not related to that then report the pm to the admins stating you do not want personal interactions with the mod.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Sharrow wrote: »
    Mods pms have to be able to by pass that to give warnings, infractions and ban messages.

Afaik not all Mod PMs can get through. I've received PMs from users and gone to reply to find out 'this user has chosen not to receive PMs' or whatever the thing says. So my PM wouldn't send because they'd switched it off. There is a separate tickable box from general PMs for Admin PMs (which may or may not include Mods).

I assume the lack of admin response indicates no interest in these issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

nope. none at all :p

honestly though, if you have PMs disabled and place someone on ignore, they should not be able to contact you.

However, a mod should always be able to contact a user to inform the user of moderation related issues (such as, "please dont post in that thread again or you'll receive an infraction" or " please stop posting off topic" etc etc)

If mod PMs were blockable then it could be used as an excuse to ignore mod warnings.

Similarly, infraction notifications and ban messages have to be allowed through regardless fo the ignore function. Otherwise users would have no way to know if a post has been infracted and what the infraction was received for.

apart from that, Sharrow pretty much has it covered above.

LoLth wrote: »
    nope. none at all :p
    I appreciate your candour.
    honestly though, if you have PMs disabled and place someone on ignore, they should not be able to contact you.

However, a mod should always be able to contact a user to inform the user of moderation related issues (such as, "please dont post in that thread again or you'll receive an infraction" or " please stop posting off topic" etc etc)

If mod PMs were blockable then it could be used as an excuse to ignore mod warnings.

Similarly, infraction notifications and ban messages have to be allowed through regardless fo the ignore function. Otherwise users would have no way to know if a post has been infracted and what the infraction was received for.

I appreciate the above.

It's just a case of me making observations, as opposed to any pressing concern of mine.

Mr. Aldarion's suggestion about a note for Mods highlighting the desire for privacy seems a good one.

And on the ignore function itself, it seems curious that the message can still get into the pm box. It then sits there, like Schrodinger's pm, leaving the recipient wondering which way the vector will collapse.

A little hard to ignore, in other words.

Could the message not be blocked before it gets into the mail box, with perhaps a note for the sender as to their ignored status?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

are you talking about a mod PM concerning a moderation matter, a personal PM from a mod or a PM from a user who is on your ignore list?

I just want to clarify what the exact scenario is you are having difficulty with.

If its a mod PM on modly matter, then they should be getting through to you.

If its a mod PM but not concerning modly ways then you should tell the mod that you do not wish to receive PMs and if they continue, report the PM so the admins can deal with it.

If its a user that you have placed on ignore (and not a mod) then report the PM and we can see if there's something up with the settings. for that users' account.

LoLth wrote: »
    are you talking about a mod PM concerning a moderation matter, a personal PM from a mod or a PM from a user who is on your ignore list?

I just want to clarify what the exact scenario is you are having difficulty with.

First I had pms disabled.

A pm came through on a non-modly matter.

I was surprised it came through, and started futtering about with my settings, including putting the sender on ignore, when a second one came through, of the ignored variety, and I was further surprised that the second message would make it through to the inbox at all.
    If its a mod PM on modly matter, then they should be getting through to you.

If its a mod PM but not concerning modly ways then you should tell the mod that you do not wish to receive PMs and if they continue, report the PM so the admins can deal with it.

If its a user that you have placed on ignore (and not a mod) then report the PM and we can see if there's something up with the settings. for that users' account.

Since, as I've already stated, there was no abuse, and that I'm simply making observations on the system, I'd prefer not to report the pm.

Thanks, anyway.

Advertisement