Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shouldn't it get easier???

• 10-07-2011 2:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

I was out today for a spin. The road I was on was fairly hilly, nothing too drastic (I don't know where I was, so I can't map it in bikeroutetoaster), but I found myself in the granny gears most of the time. It's been a while since I've been out, but not that long, and the tyres were nice and pumped, so is there anything else I should be looking at that would cause the bike to be sluggish?

Yes, the bike, not me. I am sleek.

It really felt like the first time out on a bike and even a hill near the end that I can scale with ease felt just that little bit harder than usual.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

I got very run down during the week and now have a cold. There's something going round at the moment. You could have caught it.

If you're not going well it always feel like there's something rubbing or extra friction on the bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,456 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

check the brakes

either that you just sometimes get days like that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

The bike is due a service anyway, so maybe I'll mention the brakes but it's possible it's down to the nut between the saddle and the handlebars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

Greg Lemond has a famous saying regarding cycling

"it doesn't get easier, you just get quicker"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

If it's getting easier, you need to train harder!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

@Corblimey

Sometimes you will be stronger than others.
    I often find that I can vary between super strong and weak as an old cripple within a matter of weeks. It can be a mental thing (form, attitude, interest) or a physical thing (catch a bug, strain a muscle, tired legs).

When I hit a lull I tend to focus on doing a relaxed cycle with a coffee stop. Focus on something enjoyable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

At the start of my spin today I was close to giving up about 10k into it. I've had a bit of a bug. Bit chesty, sore troath and a manky eye. Mix that with a late night and I thought I was done halfway up my first climb.
    Kept at it though and by the end of my spin I felt like I could have done another 10-15k.

It's weird and I'm not very experienced but I just try not to get disheartend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Do the wheels spin freely when you hold up the bike and rotate them? If yes and you have this expression on your face :rolleyes:, ignore the following... I’ve a few spins over the years where I felt a moumental drag and then discovered that either one of the brake (sidepull) callipers had rotated sideways so that one of the pads was rubbing off the wheel (maybe that was what ednwireland was referring to above), or one or wheel axles had worked a bit loose and the tyre was rubbing off the frame (chainstay).

Advertisement