Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Superquinn No Irish Onions on sale

Options
  • 10-07-2011 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Shopping in Superquinn this morning I was not at all pleased when shopping this morning. No Irish Onions available. How is it possible to have Onions from Chile, New Zealand, Spain, Holland & Egypt, and not have any Irish Onions.
    p { margin-bottom: 0.08in; } I just feel we all need to support Irish Producers of every kind.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Did you ask them?

They must just be out of stock. Or, there may currently be none available on the wholesale market.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 mal48

I did ask - Said my comments would be passed on.
    Lidl had Irish Onions. St this time of year it cannot be Rocket science to stock Irish Onions.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭bcirl03

Havent gone near Superquinn in years - serious rip off.

Lidl \ Aldi your only man and sure they have Irish Onions ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

Irish onions are not ready for harvest yet. Some places still have last years storage crop on sale, but they are at the end of storage life. Possibly superquinn prefer to have the better quality of Spanish onions whilst they wait for the new Irish crop from next month?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I've been complaining about the lack of Irish onions in the shops for years and I'm sure I've said it either on Boards or somewhere else. I can understand if they aren't in season yet but you can get UK onions and I wouldn't say their seasons are too much different to ours. But others might not agree.

• Advertisement

maxer68 wrote: »
    Irish onions are not ready for harvest yet. Some places still have last years storage crop on sale, but they are at the end of storage life. Possibly superquinn prefer to have the better quality of Spanish onions whilst they wait for the new Irish crop from next month?

Ok, I can buy that point of view - But do we really need Onions from new Zealand, Chile and Egypt in addition to Spain France and Holland. Does New Zealand, Chile and Egypt buy anything from us - I really do not know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

mal48 wrote: »
    Shopping in Superquinn this morning I was not at all pleased when shopping this morning. No Irish Onions available. How is it possible to have Onions from Chile, New Zealand, Spain, Holland & Egypt, and not have any Irish Onions.
    p { margin-bottom: 0.08in; } I just feel we all need to support Irish Producers of every kind.

if unhappy with them, why not shop else where?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I did ask - Said my comments would be passed on.
    Lidl had Irish Onions. St this time of year it cannot be Rocket science to stock Irish Onions.

I would be very suspect of claims of Irish Onions right now. They are not nearly in season yet.

booboo88 wrote: »
    if unhappy with them, why not shop else where?
    Laziness and Habit - It is local and i am going there for 25 years or more

Ok, I can buy that point of view - But do we really need Onions from new Zealand, Chile and Egypt in addition to Spain France and Holland. Does New Zealand, Chile and Egypt buy anything from us - I really do not know.
    Egypt is one of the biggest export markets we have for beef. We also export huge amounts to Chile (food and engineering products). Not sure about New Zealand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

i buy all my veg from a local supplier, they have this small shop in town, which is supplied from their own farm, which means i know i am getting the best, they taste fab, i know they were picked hours earlier, not weeks, and we are supporting local enterprise,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

maxer68 wrote: »

That's the early crop that comes into season in August, the late (planting) crop comes into season in June.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

Laziness and Habit - It is local and i am going there for 25 years or more

i get that, but you know aswell as i do, your queries are falling deaf ears.

but that said, they cant have SOLELY irish goods, its just not physically possible, someone said onions arent in season, which may be true :(i have no idea)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,418 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Egypt is one of the biggest export markets we have for beef. We also export huge amounts to Chile (food and engineering products). Not sure about New Zealand.

Jesus Christ people, thats not how it works.

noodler wrote: »
    **** people, thats not how it works.

Not how what works? :confused:

A question was asked as to what those countries bought from us and I answered. I wasn't making any comment on anything further.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,418 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Not how what works? :confused:

A question was asked as to what those countries bought from us and I answered. I wasn't making any comment on anything further.:rolleyes:

Fine, consider the point addressed to the OP then. Still, you legitimised the notion that import/export policy is based purely on some "tit-for-tat" policy with your reply.

noodler wrote: »
    Still, you legitimised the notion that import/export policy is based purely on some "tit-for-tat" policy with your reply.

Indeed I did not. :mad: Why try to put words in my mouth? I am not so dumb as to think that way at all. Perhaps if you addressed yourself to reading what was asked and how it was answered you would be better employed. :rolleyes:

Perhaps you should edit your response, if it should be properly addressed to the OP only!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Slightly off topic, the price of onions varies hugely at the moment, I needed a bag and they were €1.69 in Dunnes, €1.58 in Tesco so got them yesterday in Aldi for (I think) 89c. Not sure of country of origin though.

And no they weren't in Aldi's super 6 offers. Just the regular price.

Advertisement