Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ripplecom Wireless BB in Co. Tipperary?

• 10-07-2011 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭

I note that Ripplecom wireless Broadband is available in my area, The Horse and Jockey, this is according to their coverage map. I have read reviews, mostly very negative; however, in my neck of the woods there aren't too many options [my Eircom BB is near useless] so would be willing to give them a try, especially as they offer "unlimited" download allowance.

Just wondering if anyone in the Cashel/Horse and Jockey area has any experience of Ripplecom and if so what do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,484 ✭✭✭Nollog

It's fixed wireless.
    Should be okay, probably better than Eircom where you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭pat13wx

/\/ollog wrote: »
    It's fixed wireless.
    Should be okay, probably better than Eircom where you are.

That's what I am hoping. But much will depend on the line of sight as to how reliable and consistent the connection/reception will be.

I have had some experience with one wireless operator in the past, they are based in Clonmel (http://www.premierbroadband.net) this was about three years ago and even though they promised a reliable service in my area it was pretty hit and miss; in fact, it was more miss than hit and led to all sorts of problems. I really had some nightmare experiences with them and had to return to eircom, who, for all their problems and terrible speeds, sometime seemingly as slow as dial-up are at least reliable...but really too slow for my needs at this stage.

If Ripplecom is as consistent and reliable as eircom has proven to be in my case but with far greater speeds, then I'd be made up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,484 ✭✭✭Nollog

I knew the folks who set up PBB, it was great up until a year or two ago.
    I think they started counting the pennies concerning "unlimited" and the network got too popular for its own good.

If it wasn't for the contract and set up fee I'd say give them(ripplecom) a go, but dunno.
    They have agents in the Towns they're in usually, try finding some info that way.
    I know at least one of the agents in Clonmel is Istigh Computing by the Quay.

Thanks, I will see if I can chat to them.

One thing that is concerning is I contacted them via their website but have yet to receive a response. It is the same via their Facebook page, which hasn't been updated since April.

UPDATE

Just checked their Facebook page and it has disappeared!

This is all very unusual. I just left a message on the FB page yesterday and now today it has apparently gone 404. Perhaps this company isn’t too stable so might be best to avoid.

I originally found their Facebook page by clicking the FB link on their website. The link is still there but it now only takes me to my own PB page.

http://www.ripplecom.net

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,567 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Broadband in Tipperary is beyond a joke, has to be the worse county for broadband

• Advertisement

That is certainly the case for many of us who live in areas yet to be upgraded to a decent service.

Incidentally, still no word back from Ripplecom to my query so I am putting them down as a no-go and again resign myself to the sad fact there is still no cost effective alternative to Eircom here in the Jockey. Of course, there is always Tooway Satellite broadband. Thing is with them it is €130 pm for 10mb download and a 25gig monthly allowance. They have cheaper options available but the download allowance is reduced considerably.

http://www.digiweb.ie/home/tooway

Advertisement