Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How To Change Childs name and deal with ex

Options
  • 10-07-2011 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Ok well I have a 4 year old daughter, my ex isnt bothered seeing her and has never given me even so much of a cent towards her for food, clothing etc. We seperated when she was 9 months old as he was very abusive towards me and neglected our daughter as when I went to work he would "look after her", where I would go to work at 8am and come home at 5pm and see her nappy was never changed and she always had a rash :( When I moved my child and I back to my parents he came down maybe twice a year to see her. He sent me really abusive texts calling me a slut and b***h and going to kill me. So back last oct/nov I changed my phone number coz I couldnt handle all this abuse. He hasnt seen our daughter since just over a year ago nor did he ask to see her up until I changed my number. Now Im in a really good place in my life with my little girl and I want to change her surname to mine (he threatened that if I didnt put his surname down then to leave the father unknown and I didnt want that). I heard you need fathers permission but If I contacted him he wud certainly refuse to spite me and dont no wat to do :( Can someone advise me please :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭heathcliff

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Chocholic7

Thanks for link :) But looks like I need fathers permission :(

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭heathcliff

Yes, it does I am afraid, hopefully someone on here will have gone through the same thing and have more positive advice for you..Unless you talk to a solicitor is the only other thing I can suggest...Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

You can change it by useage.
    That is you can register her with school with both surnames and then ask the school to use your surname and so all the child's correspondence is in that name, same with the child's dr, ect ect which builds up a ream of 'official' correspondence with that name which you can produce to back up the use of that name.

That's brilliant to hear thanks so much for your advice :) She starting preschool this sept so I can start using it then :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Chocholic7 wrote: »
    That's brilliant to hear thanks so much for your advice :) She starting preschool this sept so I can start using it then :)

Also once you have two years official usage with the new surname, you can present the documentation to prove it when you apply for a passport for her and her passport will have the new surname, not the old one. After that you'll pretty much never have to use the old name again as the vast majority of things that require proof of identity will accept a passport instead of a birth cert.

It will be a great relief to get it done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

Chocholic7 wrote: »
    It will be a great relief to get it done :)
    My daughter has 2 surnames on her birth cert but I registered her in school and with dr. Etc in my surname only. She now only uses my surname full time. Her father didn't deserve his name even being mentioned

Thanks for that! Sounds like you have similar situation. I went into the doctors yesterday and changed her surname :) Never knew there was a way around this without going to deeds poll!

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭GismoBaby

I never knew it was as simple as just using the new surname as my sons dad definately wont give me permisson to change my sons surname. In the same position as the OP. we live and learn hey! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭In The Sticks

...or you could tell him if he does not agree to a change of surname then you will follow him through the family law courts for back payment of child support that was due to you and your child.

I know and we learn the hard way too :/ he just finished college and tryin to go on dole so i wouldnt be able get maintanance from him, sickens me how it takes 2 ppl to create a beautiful life and only one of these ppl have to look after the child 24/7 while other lives their life

Advertisement