Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reverting back from Zyxel to Netopia means less Speed

• 10-07-2011 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭

Fed up with the constant drop offs with the Eircom Zyxel, I reverted back to my troublefree Netopia. The thing is on the Zyxel a speedtest returns a speed of 8.79 Mb and on the Netopia it returns a speed of 6.5 Mb. I have noticed that my speed profile is different on both.

The Zyxel P-660HW-T1 v3 stats are:
    Speed: 10240 kbps /670 kbps
    Line Attenuation (Down/Up): 38 dB /19 dB
    DSL Noise Margin: 6 dB /17 dB

and the Netopia stats are:
    Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 7616 672
    SN Margin (dB) 14.00 16.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 33.00 18.50

Is there anything I can do?

Thanx for any help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 toffeesfan

your netopia is prob just standard adsl router where the zyxel is adsl 2+,meaning it can hold faster speeds,the old zyxel was the same ie max speed was 7.6Mb,
    id prefer to live with the slower speeds rather than put up with disconnections!

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Gerb68

Even though I asked Eircom about this over on Talk to... Eircom, I think this is the cause. Eircom rep said the only difference is that one router is older than the other.
    A few have switched back and its strange nobody else mentioned the loss of speed. A few have also switched to new ADSL2+ routers such as Netgear. I wonder are they getting full speeds.

Advertisement