Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a SSD based build / prebuilt

Options
  • 10-07-2011 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭

It's time to upgrade and I'd like some suggestions from the experts as to the best options for a SSD based machine. I'm happy to assemble myself but due to time constraints a prebuilt or simple off the shelf would be better.

Requirements:

* 80gb+ SSD, ideally 100gb+.
    * 1tb HD or more.
    * Processor - at the sweet spot of cost v. performance but ideally quad core of some sort.
    * Wifi without a dongle if possible.
    * Should be able to run BF3 when it arrives at 1920x1200 and most options to highish.
    * GFX card needs to have two outputs.
    * To run some flavour of Windows 7 - can buy this separately at a discount if not bundled.
    * Basic enough sound as long as it has 5.1 output.

Any thoughts?

Edited to add - have monitors, all peripherals etc. already.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

a budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭TJM

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    a budget?
    As little as it takes :)

Seriously, though, I'm guessing that around €650ish is the bare minimum for what I'm looking for, possibly excluding the cost of the W7 licence. I don't want to go much beyond that if possible.

Having been better advised about the cost of SSDs, €1000.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

I think the reason your not getting many replies is your budget isn't exactly fitting to your expectations. A 128GB SSD will set you back around €180 and then a GPU to run BF3 at 1920x1200 with decent settings will be about the same.

I just want to show you how hard it would be to go under budget with your requirements. This is without a copy of Windows and has no CD drive.
    Total build cost: €724.53 + €30 shipping
    Crucial M4 128GB SSD 6,4cm (2,5") €179.54
    ASUS ENGTX560 Ti DCII/2DI/1GD5, 1024MB,PCI-E,2xDVI,HDMI €191.57
    AMD Phenom II X4 955 Box, Sockel AM3 €91.34
    Gigabyte GA-970-D3, AMD 970, AM3+, ATX €72.85
    4GB-Kit Corsair DDR3 PC1600 C9 Classic €28.87
    Xigmatek Asgard, ATX, ohne Netzteil, schwarz €31.61
    ASUS PCE-N10 €16.33
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 650W €68.33
    Samsung SpinPoint F3 1000GB, SATA II (HD103SJ) €44.09

Edit: Do not buy this rig coz I'm a total n00b and that could end up exploding or something. It's just to show the cost of a high end system you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

I was too lazy but what fluffy said is spot on, you're not gonna get anywhere near 650 for what you're demanding. you honestly don't want to buy into a dated AMD rig right now, as its a dead socket in a few months time, and the Intel i5 runs circles around it. also, you want max settings @ 1920x1200? be prepared to splash out some dough on more than a gtx560ti. you're probably going to need a gtx570 or HD6970 minimum. that's €300 for just the gpu. if you were looking for a mid range pc without an SSD 650 would be fair enough.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

For a prebuilt with all your requirements you are looking at €1200 minimum.

For a self built you are looking at:

€180 for a 120GB SSD
    €45 for a 1TB hard drive
    €35 for a cheap case
    €50 for a decent PSU
    €75 for Windows 7
    €25 for 4GB of RAM/€50 for 8GB
    €190-€250 for a GPU to run BF3 at high settings at 1920x1200
    €200 for an i5-2400+H61 mobo/€280 for i5-2500k+P67 mobo

• Advertisement

That's extremely useful advice - many thanks. As you've spotted I'm more than a little out of touch with prices. What would you recommend in the €900-€1000 range?

Bump - I spotted this build in another thread - any thoughts?
    Total build cost: €959.62 + €30 shipping
    Intel Core i5-2500K Box, LGA1155 €173.55
    Sapphire HD 6950 Dirt3, 2GB GDDR5 PCI-Express €220.36
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 550W €52.94
    Cooler Master HAF Mini Windows 922M ohne Netzteil €104.03
    LG GH22NS50 bare schwarz €19.22
    ASRock Z68 Extreme4 (B3), Sockel 1155, ATX €147.89
    8GB-Kit G-Skill Ripjaws PC3-10667U CL7 €62.09

There is no HDD,Wireless card or Windows 7 CD in that build.
    That's a good case but very pricey.
    The RAM is good, but again very pricey.

I would redo that basket to something like this,
    Total build cost: €1,000.50 + €30 shipping
    Samsung SpinPoint F3 1000GB, SATA II (HD103SJ) €44.09
    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit (SB-Version) €73.47
    8GB-Kit G.Skill RipJaws-X PC3-10667U CL9 €49.97
    Intel Core i5-2500K Box, LGA1155 €173.55
    ASUS PCE-N10 €17.90
    Sapphire HD 6950 Dirt3, 2GB GDDR5 PCI-Express €220.36
    FRACTAL DESIGN Gehäuse DEFINE R3 Black Pearl €89.75
    ASRock P67 Pro3 (B3), Sockel 1155, ATX €98.93
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 550W €52.94

I am not sure is the 2GB GPU worth the extra €20 you will have to get advice from the experts on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

That's my build :) I forgot to add the wireless card, thanks for reminding me!

Thing is I don't want a lot of space because I really plan on only using it for gaming, I have a small netbook I plan on using for storing music, photos etc etc. If you buy an SSD and HDD as part of the same machine is it difficult to set it up so that the OS runs off the SSD and just use the HDD as storage? Is it a case of just installing to the SSD when installing windows for the first time?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Just to add to Fluffy's build,

The powercolor 6950 is €7 cheaper
    http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=41890
    ... unless you want dirt 3. I thin the powercolor one can be unlocked for extra performance. The 1GB ones are as low as €189 so if you're not planning unlocking/higher resolutions/eyefinity/crossfire, the the 1GB one is fine.

Windows 7 above is German, you'll have to download/get a loan of an English version (the key that you buy will work with the English version).

Homeplugs are preferable to wireless but will cost ~€50-60 a pair (get these in Ireland or the UK - e.g., scan.co.uk, amazon.co.uk).
    Asmodean wrote: »
    Thing is I don't want a lot of space because I really plan on only using it for gaming, I have a small netbook I plan on using for storing music, photos etc etc. If you buy an SSD and HDD as part of the same machine is it difficult to set it up so that the OS runs off the SSD and just use the HDD as storage? Is it a case of just installing to the SSD when installing windows for the first time?

That's easily enough done. Just change the location when you are installing programs. You can add folders from other drive to libraries in W7 or change my documents paths.

• Advertisement

Asmodean wrote: »
    That's my build :) I forgot to add the wireless card, thanks for reminding me!

It's not Hard to install the OS on the SSD. If your worried about it, just don't plugin the HDD. Install Windows, then shutdown the pc and plugin in the HDD it's simple really.

And sorry those weren't criticisms of your build, it's just the OP asked for 1TB & wireless as requirements on his build :)

Edit: Your not allowed edit your post Mono, that's just unfair :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Ah, it's still before your post time so I'm fine. If I never edited my posts, you'd see a long trail of spelling mistakes and nobody would have a clue what I'm rambling on about with my initial incoherent structure and sentences that go on so long that your brain feels out of breath with several "and"s because I don't notice the mistakes until I post and I usually couldn't be bothered with the preview button as I just like the quick post box.

Plus multiple posts can get you B& on some forums! :pac:

Edit: And all your points are still a valid addition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Don't worry I needed the advice anyway! I think I'll probably buy a hdd later on if I get stuck. I think the 128 gig will suit me for now. Btw fluffy it's your and jack888's fault I'm getting it, thanks for tempting me! :p

haha glad I could help waste, or I mean spend your money for you. But seriously it's probably one of the best things you could possibly do to speed up your computer. Defo worth it for anyone that likes using computers.

And I do understand Mono, it's just you ninja'd me.

Advertisement