Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of gas certification on new gas hob?

• 10-07-2011 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

We are having a new kitchen installed next month, price had been agreed on after surveyor's report to include installation of new gas hob. Now the company is telling us that the price of certification of the appliance is another €200 and that it was an oversight leaving that off the price of the kitchen. We are ticked off that this has arisen after what we thought the supposed 'final' price had been agreed on and are now wondering if this is a standard charge for this certification or if it is the installation company trying to make a quick buck by overcharging on this part of installation.

So my basic questions are to anyone in the know:

1. What is the standard charge of certification separate to installation of the appliance?

2. Does the appliance have to be certified by the installer or can we get it installed and/or certified for a lower price by another registered installer?

Maybe it was a genuine oversight on the final costing but we are peeved that this mistake has been made and are now questioning if it is a mistake at all, if they are overcharging and if it would be more hassle than it's worth to have someone separate come in after the main kitchen installation to do the gas work separately rather than it all just being done together. I'd hate to think we were being screwed over and are certainly not going to pay such a sum over unless we are 100% sure it's a genuine amount...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

lyverbird1 wrote: »
    We are having a new kitchen installed next month, price had been agreed on after surveyor's report to include installation of new gas hob. Now the company is telling us that the price of certification of the appliance is another €200 and that it was an oversight leaving that off the price of the kitchen. We are ticked off that this has arisen after what we thought the supposed 'final' price had been agreed on and are now wondering if this is a standard charge for this certification or if it is the installation company trying to make a quick buck by overcharging on this part of installation.

So my basic questions are to anyone in the know:

1. What is the standard charge of certification separate to installation of the appliance?

2. Does the appliance have to be certified by the installer or can we get it installed and/or certified for a lower price by another registered installer?

Maybe it was a genuine oversight on the final costing but we are peeved that this mistake has been made and are now questioning if it is a mistake at all, if they are overcharging and if it would be more hassle than it's worth to have someone separate come in after the main kitchen installation to do the gas work separately rather than it all just being done together. I'd hate to think we were being screwed over and are certainly not going to pay such a sum over unless we are 100% sure it's a genuine amount...
    you can get whoever you want to install the gas hob as long as they are RGI registered , you can always get a few people to quote for you if your unsure of price. Its generally plumbers who do this type of gas work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

A book of certs cost me €20 for 10 so the certification part of an installation thats costing €200 should be questioned. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

lyverbird1 wrote: »
    I'd hate to think we were being screwed over and are certainly not going to pay such a sum over unless we are 100% sure it's a genuine amount...

Love to know how you got on with this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭lyverbird1

Love to know how you got on with this ?

Many apologies for not checking back in to this thread before now. All replies appreciated. We found a guy through our installer who was happy to do everything (installation and certification) for about half of what the official B&Q crowd were asking, so it did indeed pay to question it and shop around. And it came in handy to know the gent when the boiler packed in late last year as we got mates rates on the new one! Thanks again for the help...

Advertisement