Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shoes for forefoot running

Options
  • 10-07-2011 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

Hi all,
    sorry this one will be long so I'll put a short synopsis at the start.

I'm looking for advice about the best shoes for a forefoot runner..
    I have dodgy ankles and have given the running thing a go on and off in the past. As a heel striker and under-pronator I always gave up due to ankle pain. I tried gait analysis and physio/podiatry etc but it still didn't help.

So I decided this year to try again after reading all the barefoot running info.I started back in thin soled minimal shoes which made me run on my forefoot ( 4 euro rubber dollies from Penneys like I had as a kid) and it's worked so far. It clicked from the first time out like getting back on a bike after years. I think that I always ran this way as a teenager.

I went back into my usual trainers as I'm walking/running 5km and my heels were aching a bit from the walking part in such thin soles.

I run now on my forefoot, my heels barely touch the ground and I can now run for 8 mins without stopping ( and power walking the rest of 5km) and no ankle pain at all. I know it's a really short time but it's the longest I've been able to run since my initial ankle injury at 16. I stopped at that as I'm being really careful to try and avoid injury.

So I'm currently forefoot running in my adidas supernova shoes but they're really old and I'd like to replace them. I get a bit of calf, forefoot and achilles ache the day after running but nothing much so far.
    I think my forefoot needs some cushioning as I'm getting used to running so I don't want to go down the complete barefoot very minimalist shoe road at the moment.

I've looked at the nike frees but haven't tried them on and I read about Newtons on the web. Has anyone here tried these? Does anyone have any advice?
    I'd be really grateful. Sorry again for the long post..

Comments

running shoes with low differences between heel and toe heights are better for forefoot running.

newtons are just too expensive.

saucony kinvara, brooks green slience are two good options. kinvara probably has more cushioning.

nike lunarglide not a bad option in a more conventional type shoe.

read this about heel to toe drop....

http://www.runblogger.com/2010/06/heel-toe-drop-or-offset-what-does-it.html

anything 8mm or under is pretty low and would favour a forefoot footstrike

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭busymum1

Thanks for that glasso. Very interesting reading and gives me somewhere to start in the search.. Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

I land mid foot and find the new nimbus to be a very soft ride. I'd also use the nike vomeros. Asics cumulus have a lot of cushion but just don't suit me

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭busymum1

Thanks for all the replies.
    I went and had gait analysis done and I'm a neutral forefoot runner with normal arches. I tried on every shoe in the shop (almost), I hated the newtons and nike free runs.
    I was worried that racing flats just wouldn't have enough cushioning for me as I've been getting a bit of forefoot pain after running recently.

In the end I went for a pair of mizuno wave nexus 5 as they have extra ankle support and felt like the best compromise.
    They feel pretty good and I went out for a 6k run/walk last night in them and so far so good. At 95 euros including gait analysis it was way less than Newtons.
    When I'm 10 kilos lighter I might try vibrams/racing flats.
    Thanks again for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

I switched to a low ramp shoes years ago, it those days it was only a lightweight racer you could use to get more feeling of the ground.

Since then there are a few I like, all Saucony. The Kinevara and the Hattori being the best I find.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭jeffontour

The Inov8 road shoes would all be options also.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭PaulieC

I have three pairs - Merrell Trail Glove, Puma Faas 300 and Brooks Green Silence. The former are very low, only a 4mm vibram sole. These really force you to concentrate on your form because if you get sloppy you start to get sore. I've never ran more than 5 miles in these.

The Green Silence are great. I use these for longer runs and hopefully they will last until the DCM. The best thing I can say about these is that you don't notice them when you're running, which in my mind is the most important thing as you don't want to be having to think about your footwear. The Pumas I just got recently, because I had a voucher. I haven't run much in them, but they seemed OK. They are very comfortable as an everyday shoe

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I was looking at the green silence before they came out over here. I'm not a fan of brooks shoes so thats whats put me off getting them. Have you done any long runs(18 miles +) in them? I'm trying to secure a freebie of the faas. :D

NB minimus and Hattoris are winging their way to me. :cool:

I was looking at the green silence before they came out over here. I'm not a fan of brooks shoes so thats whats put me off getting them. Have you done any long runs(18 miles +) in them? I'm trying to secure a freebie of the faas. :D

NB minimus and Hattoris are winging their way to me. :cool:

15 miles is the most I've done in them at this stage, but I plan on using them for the DCM, nothing so far to suggest they won't be suitable. They are quite unlike Brooks 'normal' shoes. I would suggest even trying them on in a shop to see for yourself. Amphibian King do them.

Are you getting freebie NB minimuses ? I like the look of them, but I wouldn't really trust buying them online from the states in case I got the size wrong. I haven't found anywhere in Ireland that stocks them

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/new-balance-mr10gb-shoes/#more

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/new-balance-mt10gy-shoes/

:pac:

They've no wimmens ones in stock at the moment, but, I'm assured they'll be on my doorstep as soon as possible. :D

• Advertisement

They've no wimmens ones in stock at the moment, but, I'm assured they'll be on my doorstep as soon as possible. :D

No wimmins, but they have "ladies"

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/new-balance-ladies-wt10gr-shoes/

Not knowing you, I'm not sure if these would suit or not :D

i have both the Brook's Green Silence and Saucony Kinvara myself. Kinvara are definitely more cushioned. Green Silence are a bit hard for me truth be told in comparison.

glasso wrote: »
    i have both the Brook's Green Silence and Saucony Kinvara myself. Kinvara are definitely more cushioned. Green Silence are a bit hard for me truth be told in comparison.

Some of the reviews of the green silence have been really off putting. Brooks have some really exciting shoes coming out later in the year though. If some of what I've heard is true I may be swayed into buying a pair of brooks again. :D

Some of the reviews of the green silence have been really off putting. Brooks have some really exciting shoes coming out later in the year though. If some of what I've heard is true I may be swayed into buying a pair of brooks again. :D

Bad reviews for Green Silence? I've never seen anything that was less than gushing. Can you link some ? What was the overall gist of the badness ?

Bad reviews for Green Silence? I've never seen anything that was less than gushing. Can you link some ? What was the overall gist of the badness ?

I'll have a gansy for links when I'm back on the laptop. Bad reviews were mostly about a bad fit, complete lack of traction on wet surfaces and performance compared to other similar shoes. I may be biased though, I'm not a fan of brooks so anything negative will stick in my head - there are more positive reviews than negative, but even a lot of the positive ones mentioned the poor fit. Despite that, I was going to buy them a while ago but they didn't have my size and I got something else instead. :pac:

I will without a doubt get a pair of PureConnect when they come out. I'm very excited about them. Now they've had practice with the launch and green silence I will have faith in them next time around.

PureConnect

oooh fancy...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I'll have a gansy for links when I'm back on the laptop. Bad reviews were mostly about a bad fit, complete lack of traction on wet surfaces and performance compared to other similar shoes. I may be biased though, I'm not a fan of brooks so anything negative will stick in my head - there are more positive reviews than negative, but even a lot of the positive ones mentioned the poor fit. Despite that, I was going to buy them a while ago but they didn't have my size and I got something else instead. :pac:

I will without a doubt get a pair of PureConnect when they come out. I'm very excited about them. Now they've had practice with the launch and green silence I will have faith in them next time around.

I wore the Green silence today for a 12 mile run (including a interval session on the track) and I think they are a great all around shoe, perfroming just as well at 6 min/mile and 9 min/mile during the recoveries.
    I am seriously considering making them my marathon shoe as I have had a few issues with the Kinvaras of late...

My only issue is that they are a bit of a wide fit and I can feel a bit of movement of the foot. The laces are also not best designed for 'tightening' the shoe- I'd prefer a standard lacing system on the shoe. These issues may of course be down to me getting them half a size too big :rolleyes: Thing is the kinvaras I got fitted for are a full size bigger than normal yet they seem to fit perfectly....

menoscemo wrote: »
    I wore the Green silence today for a 12 mile run (including a interval session on the track) and I think they are a great all around shoe, perfroming just as well at 6 min/mile and 9 min/mile during the recoveries.
    I am seriously considering making them my marathon shoe as I have had a few issues with the Kinvaras of late...

My only issue is that they are a bit of a wide fit and I can feel a bit of movement of the foot. The laces are also not best designed for 'tightening' the shoe- I'd prefer a standard lacing system on the shoe. These issues may of course be down to me getting them half a size too big :rolleyes: Thing is the kinvaras I got fitted for are a full size bigger than normal yet they seem to fit perfectly....

kinvaras are known for being small to size. I have a 1/2 size bigger than normal and they are very snug.

SO I went for my first real run in the Puma Faas 300 last night (did a few 3 milers on holidays). Did 7 miles. Not sure I'd recommend these for much longer than that, feet were pretty sore afterwards, although they are fine now. Perhaps it was just a matter of getting used to different shoes.
    On the inside of the shoe there is a kind of midsole strap from the sole up to the laces. While this does keep the shoe stable and well fixed to your foot, I found that the edges of it were chafing against my foot. Not enough to blister or cut, but just enough to annoy.
    On the plus side, they are incredibly flexible and allow a lot of ground feel. They are also very quiet, I was able to run absolutely silently, which wasn't so good for some pedestrians :D

They are also very cool looking :cool:

menoscemo wrote: »
    My only issue is that they are a bit of a wide fit and I can feel a bit of movement of the foot. The laces are also not best designed for 'tightening' the shoe- I'd prefer a standard lacing system on the shoe. These issues may of course be down to me getting them half a size too big :rolleyes:

So they're not a great fit then? :pac:

I heard people were getting a full size smaller in the green silence. :confused:
    SO I went for my first real run in the Puma Faas 300 last night (did a few 3 milers on holidays). Did 7 miles. Not sure I'd recommend these for much longer than that, feet were pretty sore afterwards, although they are fine now. Perhaps it was just a matter of getting used to different shoes.
    On the inside of the shoe there is a kind of midsole strap from the sole up to the laces. While this does keep the shoe stable and well fixed to your foot, I found that the edges of it were chafing against my foot. Not enough to blister or cut, but just enough to annoy.
    On the plus side, they are incredibly flexible and allow a lot of ground feel. They are also very quiet, I was able to run absolutely silently, which wasn't so good for some pedestrians

They are also very cool looking

Just realised they sold them in Ireland when I saw the 500 advertised in Dun Laoghaire, though now I think of it the ad seems very familiar. How'd I miss that? :pac:

Where'd you get the 300's? Or should I just wait for the 200's

• Advertisement

So they're not a great fit then? :pac:

I heard people were getting a full size smaller in the green silence. :confused:

Just realised they sold them in Ireland when I saw the 500 advertised in Dun Laoghaire, though now I think of it the ad seems very familiar. How'd I miss that? :pac:

Where'd you get the 300's? Or should I just wait for the 200's

Elvery's have a range of them in stock now according to their site. I got mine in Schuh :eek: (got the merrells in there too ). Whatever else the Puma Faas range, they're not boring, looking at those 200s. Now if only you could run like Usain...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Sacksian

I've done everything in my Green Silence since I got them, from last year's Amsterdam marathon to this year's Irish Runner 5 mile, and all training in between. I've absolutely no point of comparison but they've been great for me. I even bought a couple of extra pairs since but haven't had to unbox them yet.

tunney wrote: »
    I switched to a low ramp shoes years ago, it those days it was only a lightweight racer you could use to get more feeling of the ground.

Since then there are a few I like, all Saucony. The Kinevara and the Hattori being the best I find.

Whats the longest run you've done in the Hattori's?

Picked mine up today. Stuck them on when I got home and did a quick quarter or a mile around the block - pretty sure I'm in love with them.

Whats the longest run you've done in the Hattori's?

Picked mine up today. Stuck them on when I got home and did a quick quarter or a mile around the block - pretty sure I'm in love with them.

My Hattoris are in a box with my mayflys and vibrams - the "I'm too heavy to run in these really at the minute box".

I'm 21lbs over racing weight and I won't consider running long in the Hattoris until I've dropped 10 lbs. Too heavy to run with good form and landing too hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

tunney wrote: »
    My Hattoris are in a box with my mayflys and vibrams - the "I'm too heavy to run in these really at the minute box".

I'm 21lbs over racing weight and I won't consider running long in the Hattoris until I've dropped 10 lbs. Too heavy to run with good form and landing too hard.

Those mayflys will have perished at this stage ;)

mloc123 wrote: »
    Those mayflys will have perished at this stage ;)

They'll be out for a 33min 10km in december. :)

(Pr1ck :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 8 miss v

hehe. the hattori look swish, is the love still strong ?

i'm wearing nike free's... love them, although i think the latest pair i have is the free +2 and not sure as good (yet?). i'm a size 3.5 so i haven't been able to find any other brand of forefoot runner in my size. The green silence does apparently come in that size but no one has been able to get them for me. The nikes i had to get in london as couldn't find them here. god-damn-child-foot !! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Any shops in dublin stock the hattoris and what price are they?

Advertisement